Backup on px160 was working now doesn't

Timothy110

I've just acquired a px160 privia piano. The backup facitlity initially worked, now it doesn't. I've tried doing a factory reset ie powering on the keyboard with the function and electric piano buttons pressed but that hasn't worked. Has anyone any ideas on this please?

Timothy

I apologize.  I replied to your post several days ago, but pulled it when I was unable to locate the documentation that supported my assumptions and statements.  Since you have not received any other replies, I will re-post mine.  See the NOTE under Item 2 in the right hand column of Page EN-4 of the PX-160 manual, which states that when the PX-160 is powered off, a minute amount of electric current still flows through the PX-160.  I vaguely remember a post similar to yours, from several years ago, in which a PX owner stated that some of the PX models use only standard "volatile" (powered) memory to store their set up items, rather than the more "permanent" flash memory, and that is the reason for the minute current flow during power-down (actually "standby").  If this is true, then disconnecting such models from the power source, or switching them completely off through a "switched" outlet, would result in loss of all "saved" set up items - including the "Backup" feature.

I offer this as strictly something for you to check.  If it does not apply to your particular situation, please disregard.

There is no "factory" reset.  Powering on initializes most of the items that would be initialized by a factory reset.  If you have not already done so, get out the manual and follow it step by step to ensure that you are still using the exact procedure for turning Backup ON.  See the "Remarks" column for "Back up" in the table on Page EN-24.  You can not turn "Back up" on when the PX-160 is in "Duet Mode".  Also, ensure that the keyboard did not get inadvertently put into "Lock" mode after Back up got turned off.  That would keep you from turning it back on.  See Pages 22 and 24 for Lock.  As you are pressing the keys for these Functions, make certain that you are keeping the Function button completely depressed.   If you are just momentarily pressing the Function button and then pressing the key, the associated parameter will not be changed.  If these do not resolve your problem, then you most likely have a defective board.  With that in mind, try changing some of the other Function parameters.  If you can not change anything, then the Function button most likely has gone bad.

Good luck with this !

in following up your post and looking into the duet mode. I've noticed that the duet pan doesn't work at all either. The keys on the left hand side of the keyboard below middle c sound from both the left and right speakers. However on further investigation I find that the duet pan mode only works when the piano is in duet mode. 

That doesn't sound very good, at all, Timothy.  It might be time to start thinking about returning the board for a replacement, before that door closes, if it has not already done so.  From all the years I have been at this, and the very few times I have had to return defective equipment, I still know how disappointing it can be.

I've noticed on page En-6 of the manual where it mentions connecting audio equipment the line out jacks into the back of the piano look like they're three pole. I was using two, two pole 1/4 inch jacks. I've now changed them to two, three pole 1/4 inch jacks. 

The duet mode and duet pan mode now work properly and I can hear the left hand of the keyboard coming out of the left hand speaker of my midi hifi and the right hand of the keyboard coming from the right speaker. 

It's not really clear in the manual about this. 

Still the backup up problem but I can live with this for a while. 

• 1 month later...

Finally solved my backup problem. There was indeed nothing wrong with the keyboard just that the keyboard manual was a bit confusing.

Firstly when the keyboard is in backup mode it doesn't store the last settings that were used on the keyboard before you turn the keyboard off and then on again.

For the backup function to work, get the settings you want to store in backup on the keyboard, press the backup facility off then on.  Then it will store the settings but only then.  The keyboard will then start up with the settings in the backup memory. The manual is quite misleading.

• 2 years later...