Video Files on Forum ×

Tremolo Strings Tone

I need some confirmation of what I'm hearing in the preset PCM-melody tone GM Trem.Str. (P3-0 in the PCM Strings/Brass category on the XW-P1 and P178 on the XW-G1). It is intended to reproduce a tremolo articulation by a string section. This particular tone is required for General MIDI compatibility (hence GM in the tone name!). There isn't a non-GM version. I am hearing a kind of clicking artifact near (but not at) the beginning of the note. It's there 9 times out of 10. Notably, if you call up the underlying wave GM Trem.Str. (193) in a Hex Layer tone on the XW-P1 you don't get the clicking. But you also don't get the tremolo effect! Evidently, Casio is doing something extra with this particular PCM-melody tone to achieve the tremolo (no, it's not going through the DSP) and it causes an artifact, at least on my XW-P1. If you hear this clicking too please let me know.

Well, it may well be a discontinuity in the amp LFO implementation. I don't think it's a loop in the sample itself because that same wave doesn't show any such clicks when played in a Hex Layer tone. As I said it doesn't have any tremolo at all there. 

Funny thing is, there is no amp LFO available to _users_ for PCM melody tones. But evidently something is possible. Whatever the engineers did it doesn't work very well. Evidently no one at Casio checked that tone before releasing the XW synths. Or they heard the artifact and just didn't care. It's pretty obvious!