Video Files on Forum ×

GM, VA, CZ, MM, MG, AP1 / 2, OB, P5, ND, JP, TB, SH?

Hello, those are references to the origins of those waveforms. I don't know if they are direct samples from those synths, or "imitations"... but I guess one way or another they are supposed to resemble/imitate/mimic/sample those original synths :)

I'm not a synth guru/historian, but I assume:

CZ = Casio CZ series

OB = Oberheim

P5 = Prophet 5

ND = Nord

JP = Jupiter (8 ?)

TB = Roland TB (303?)

SH = Roland SH (101?)

MG I assume is Moog.... MM = Minimoog maybe? But why 2 Moogs? Or possibly Yamaha MM ???

AP = maybe ARP (2600?)

Having said all that, to be honest I cannot detect much difference in most of the "brand" variations of the different waveforms.

For example, take the XW-P1's plain "Saw" wave, and compare to the various other Saws (JP, CZ, etc) ... they all sound pretty much the same to me, so not sure why so many had to be included, if there is such minimal difference. On the other hand (and just going by memory here) I think the "numbered" variations did have more of a noticeable difference (like ND Saw 2, or something like that).

Think I'm gonna hook this thing up to a frequency analyzer and see if I can tell more specifically what the differences are. They are probably there I'm sure... just did not seem noticeable to me when flipping through them all. Again, just going by memory here... I know some DO have significant audible differences, but many did not seem to.

• Like 3