Video Files on Forum ×

ctk-6250 recording Rhythm and Accomp

Hello, I just bought a ctk-6250 a month ago and want to do some recording. Basic recording is pretty simple. Push the record button play a couple keys and hit the start/stop button then push start/stop to play back. When I go to do record again it keeps the old song!!!  (1)  how do I save that 1st recording and erase that slot so I can start out blank again. I also know I can choose accomp and hit record and the left hand keys will give me chord sounds I can record that also. My main problem is (2) I want to select rhythm just say 001 sync and accomp but when I select accomp and push start/stop  next to it  to start rhythm it knocks me out of record why does that happen? did they have to use the same button to stop record and start rhythm . I want to know how to record rhythm and accomp when the are both playing, I would also like to change the rhythm while it is playing and keep recording. I looked thru the manual it is very complicated with sequencers, mixers, 32 tracks etc 50 years worth of technology. I'm just trying to learn to play and record a little bit.  L.O.L.  One more question (sorry) (3) is there a way to record say 4 chords and have it play over and over again without having to hit start every time like a looper function.  Is it possible some of the things I want it to do are not possible or do I really have to spend a lot of time like a year to learn all this information.  Any response is deeply appreciated thanks so much.    Jack Ryan  Baltimore Orioles and Ravens fan

Jack

We will take your questions one at a time:

1. The CTK-6250 can store up to 5 Song Sequencer songs in its internal memory.  See the display diagram in Item #2 at the top of the left hand column on Page 64 of the manual.  When you are at this stage of recording set up, with the heavy brackets around the word  [[ SONG ]], you can use the Data Wheel or the +/- (Plus/Minus) buttons to change the song number, before you start to record, so that you do not over-write a previously recorded song.  Once you fill all 5 internal song memory slots, you will need to save one or more of your previouly recorded songs to the SD Card, before recording more, if you do not want to over-write any of your previously recorded data.  Instructions for saving songs to the SD Card begin on Page 103.  The manual uses display diagrams of saving a User Rhythm strictly as examples, so do not let those confuse you.  Saving songs will will have its own set of displays.  At this stage, you will need to name your songs, in order to avoid naming conflicts on the SD Card.  Naming conventions and instructions are on Page 104.   Also, at this stage, you have the option of saving to the SD Card as a Song Sequencer file, in its original format, or as a Standard MIDI File (SMF).  Unless you plan on playing the song back on a sound module other than a CTK-6250, I recommend leaving it in its original Song Sequencer format, in order to maintain tone selection and mixer and effects settings as they were originally recorded.  An SMF "conversion" does not necessarily preserve all of these items, as they were originally recorded, in order to generate a generic "play anywhere" MIDI file.

2. Once you have pressed the "Record" button, "starting" the rhythm and the recording process is just a matter of "playing" the keys.  Once the "Record" button is pressed, the START/STOP button becomes strictly a "STOP" button for the purpose of terminating the recording process and automatically saving the recorded data to internal memory.  Now, we come to a matter of semantics.  Many users will state that they want only a "rhythm" to play along and record with them, when in fact, they mean "just a drum track".  In Casio-speak, a "rhythm" is a "complete package", including drums and multi-part melodic instrument tracks.  So, when speaking to Casio owners about Casio sequencers, it is always best to keep these terms straight, in order to avoid confusion.  If you want just a drum track instead of a complete "rhythm", state exactly that.  Now, if you want just a drum track rather than a complete "rhythm"  - select the desired rhythm style, then press just the SYNCHRO button, but DO NOT TURN ACCOMP ON, before you press the Record button.  Now, when you start to play, your drum track will begin automatically.  If you want a couple of bars of simple drum intro, press any key in the left hand ACCOMP area of the keyboard, very, very softly, so that it can not be heard, and your intro will start.  DO NOT PRESS the START/STOP button to start your intro, or you will exit from the record mode.  On most of the Casio CTK/WK models I have had experience with, you do not even need to press this "start" key all the way to "bottom".  You only need to depress it about 1/4 inch or so, and the keyboard will detect that and start the drum track and the recorder.  If you want one of the keyboard's complete "pre-canned rhythm" drum intros, select the desired rhythm style, leave ACCOMP off, press the SYNCHRO button, and then the INTRO button.  Now, when you press the "start" key in the ACCOMP area of the keyboard, you will get the selected pre-set drum intro.

3. The Song Sequencers in the CTK/WK-6XXX models are "linear" sequencers only.  They do not "loop".  The "loop" recording features you describe are a function of the "Pattern" sequencers in the CTK/WK-7XXX models.

I purchased my first Roland Intelligent Arranger keyboard in 1990 or 1991.  For all the years I have been at this, it took me the better part of 6 months of working with the new CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX model lines before I really felt comfortable with the using their more esoteric features without having the manual sitting on the music rack for ready reference, so hang in there, Jack.  It will come, in time !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ted thanks soo much  great answers so quick, you know your stuff, seems like this can be fun.

I appreciate the semantics very helpful  "rhythm" the whole package with accomp  Drum track = drum track only 

For now I want to record rhythm (whole package) and play along and record that on top. So i will select my rhythm, push Record then SYNCHRO then Accomp then play my first note to start then start/stop to end. I will try that and let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Jack

Since you are currently using full Rhythm accompaniment, give yourself a bit of a break - at least for now.  Use the pre-set Intro that is built into your selected Rhythm.  That way, you are not trying to jump a hurdle right out of the gate.  You can always go to no Intro or drums only Intro after you get a little more comfortable with the board.  To do this, you will turn ACCOMP on, press SYNCHRO, press INTRO, press RECORD, make your starting chord with your left hand, and start your right hand performance when the Intro shifts to the main verse.  You may want to practice this a few times before you record, to get a feel for when the Intro is coming to an end, so you can make a smooth transition into the main verse.  If you want to include an Outro (Ending) with your performance, just press the SYNCHRO/ENDING button when you are ready, and you will get an Outro, recording will terminate, and your performance will automatically be saved.

Good luck and enjoy !

• Like 1