Video Files on Forum ×

SP-3 Sustain Pedal

Chris__M

The only thing about my new PX-560 that disappointed me was the pedal. Personally, I think it looks naff; more importantly, I found it too easy to knock it sideways, or even to the back of the keyboard, it is so light.

I ordered an M-Audio SP-2, which cost me all of 12 quid. Just picked it up from Amazon Lockers, and I am delighted with it. It has some weight, stays where it is put, and it also looks the part. I am also finding it with my foot easier, without needing to shuffle around down there.

So now, largely out of curiosity, I check eBay for what Casio SP-3s are going for, and am surprised to see the going rate seems to be 12-15 quid, more than I paid for my "better" replacement.

Am I missing something?

(While I was at it, I also picked up M-Audio's Expression pedal. I don't have a use for it yet, but probably will do, once I am more aquainted with the piano.)

Hah, yeah, I don't really get it either.  I normally use either the 3-pedal unit or one of the Roland pedals with the swivel-out pad that goes under your foot to prevent slipping.

The one advantage of the included pedal is that it *is* very portable.  Every now and then I find myself trying to travel very light, but still wanting a sustain pedal.  But usually the 560 is the keyboard that I take with me anywhere, and once I'm already carrying an 88-key keyboard (even one on the light side), there's not point worrying about a few ounces for the better pedal.  So, that little pedal doesn't get a lot of use.

• Like 1