XW-P1 midi file playback for drums

Trex

Hey guys, I'm not new to synths, but I am new to this synth.  I have a midi drum file and I want to use the P1's on board drum sounds to play it.  I've been reading the User Guide,

pouring over You Tube, pushing buttons and everything else in between and can't figure it out.  How the heck  do I get the P1 to play my midi drum file?  Many thanks in advance.

If you are using the XW-P1's ability to play a MIDI SMF file from an SD memory card, it has to be a Type 0. (It also has to be in a directory at the root level called MUSICDAT. That is true for all data the XW-P1 reads and writes from an SD card.) If you are using an external sequencer and merely playing the MIDI into the XW-P1, then of course the file type doesn't matter.

Most SMF files have drums allocated to MIDI Channel 10, the channel allocated to drums in the original General MIDI (GM) specification (let's call that GM1 to avoid confusion). However, files written with GM2 in mind may assign drums to some other channel (or potentially more than one, although I think that is rare). If the SMF contains GM1-compatible program change data then the correct sounds (in this case, a drum set) should come up automatically. However, if it doesn't you will have to assign a drum tone (as Casio calls its drum sets) yourself to a part using the MIXER edit menu (see page E-68 in the User's Guide) and then set that part so that it responds to MIDI Channel 10 ("Ext In Ch", which is set in the Performance edit menu; page E-66 in the User's Guide). However, for the preset Performances things are already set up that way so if you select one of those before you play the MIDI file should play okay.  

(BTW, a thread title consisting only of your handle doesn't let anyone know what the thread is about and hence they are less likely to open it to see. Unless they are dinosaur fanatics or fans of the band T. Rex, either of which could have been your inspiration there, in which case they will read it just on general principle.)

Thanks for your response.  Perhaps as you can tell, I'm a newbie to this whole forum thing, but will definitely take your suggestions to heart and promise to do better the next time

should I have any more questions.  Peace.