Replacing the hammer on the Px-100

Jelimon

I bought a second-hand (possibly third) Privia from someone a few days ago. After some practicing at home, many of the keys have sunken in. Feeling brave, I took the thing apart and had little bits of the hammer fall off (they are small and black, and seem to control the bounce in the keys). After speaking with Casio tech, it seems like it's either I pay another $500 to have them come and replace and repair the whole thing, or i buy a replacement keyboard part from them and DIY. Has anyone experienced this before? TIA

I might be able to help, if you could be a little more specific. I am the crazy guy who tore apart his px350 to rebuild parts of the key assembly-it is not an easy task, but you may be able to repair this depending upon what exactly is happening.You will find my posted pictures in the PX350 section here.

I believe you are describing the small weights that are attached to the ends of a metal arm structure, colored black in my px350. This is the fulcrum arm that provides some resistance to the key when played. There are small counterweights on the ends of these arms that provide the "weighted" feel of the keys. If these have fallen out, you could refasten these with a strong epoxy or maybe even "crazy glue"  and you may be able to do this without dis-assembling the entire keyboard although I've not taken apart a px100. If the damage goes further than this, i agree a total keyboard assembly would probably need to be installed, a very big job and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have alot of experience with this type of thing. As far as a newer Casio, the least expensive I could find runs around $300,00 new. This was a PX200 I purchased for a student and it is a beautiful instrument, well made, gorgeous piano sounds and excellent weighted action. I'm sure a replacement key assembly would be pretty expensive and the installation if DIY would take quite a few hours even if you are experienced doing this type of work-the entire keyboard must be taken a apart to get the key assembly out as one piece, not fun. If you can sell the px100 for parts you might get some of your money back. 

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue with my PX-130. It cost $1.5 a piece and I have to wait for a month until it arrived at Casio service center, then they will send it to me. A month is too long for me, my daughter used to use it as a practice for her Piano Course. 

So, I have to do some DIY creativity. The weight of this rubber cap is less than 1 gram. Its functionality is as a dumper and maintains the height of hammer tuts. So, I try to resemble it. I cut an aquarium hose(made from rubber) with the same width of the hummer cap, I stretch the hole wide enough. Then I cut a tiny slice of rubber damper of outdoor air conditioning machine with the same tick of top part of the hammer cap. I put that tiny slice to the hose and put them at the original place of the  hammer cap. Rubber hose will keep the tiny slice in its place. You can put a little bit of strong glue to make it placed by sure(without moving easily).

Before I do that, I put off the hammer cap from rightest of tuts(rare to use in playing piano) and put it into the broken hammer cap. So actually I change the rightest tut, not the broken one.

After all of that, my PX-130 back to normal again without any issue of feel when the tut is pressed. Hopely my experience could give some idea for you.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Now joining the conversation. Saw a solution similar to Herruez's on YouTube ((54) How to Fix hammer Digital EP casio previa series - YouTube).
My PX-400R has hardly been used but the caps have almost all turned to mush. Looking at the key and hammer designs, I am thinking of just taking off all caps without replacement, even if they are solid. I will then stick a flat pad at the top of the slot (approx .8 cm wide) in the key where the hammer (tuts?) fits. I can get back the key height that way. I haven't figured out the required thickness as yet - but I think that there is some tolerance there as that strip to the back of the keys presses down on them if they are raised too high. The other problem I see is wear and tear. This can be reduced with some of that white lubricant that's all over the structure and by using a plastic or hard rubber pad.  There is the possibility of using shrink wrap tubing around the hammer as well.   Will advise.    

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had the same problem. Since I live in a place where Casio doesn't have a service center, I decided to design and print my own replacements on my 3D printer. I was able to print a batch of 10 in about an hour and they worked great.  I plan to replace all the original ones with mine to prevent future trouble. You will need to use a flexible filament to print. I used a Ninjaflex clone and that worked great. I plan to replace all the rubber ones with my printed version so it shouldn't degrade over time.

Here's the link for the design if anyone is interested.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4886427

Enjoy!

• 6 months later...