Video Files on Forum ×

AP-450 sustain pedal partially loses effect mid-song

Hello,

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I did a search and no results similar to my problem have been found.

I'm having a problem with the sustain pedal on my Celviano AP-450 (purchased in 2012) where if I play something that requires repeated pedal presses, the notes fade away more quickly after a few measures, despite the pedal being fully pressed. For example, when I start playing Pathetique (2nd movement), the sustain pedal works as it should. But when I reach somewhere around measure 8, the sustain pedal begins to lose effect (but not completely), with notes sustaining only for about 2 seconds before completely fading away even though the pedal is fully pressed. I've checked the pedal assembly and the wires, and everything seems normal. I'm at a loss here, and it really ruins the music :( .

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Jericho 

• 2 years later...
On 4/14/2017 at 11:28 AM, jchovils said:

Hello,

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I did a search and no results similar to my problem have been found.

I'm having a problem with the sustain pedal on my Celviano AP-450 (purchased in 2012) where if I play something that requires repeated pedal presses, the notes fade away more quickly after a few measures, despite the pedal being fully pressed. For example, when I start playing Pathetique (2nd movement), the sustain pedal works as it should. But when I reach somewhere around measure 8, the sustain pedal begins to lose effect (but not completely), with notes sustaining only for about 2 seconds before completely fading away even though the pedal is fully pressed. I've checked the pedal assembly and the wires, and everything seems normal. I'm at a loss here, and it really ruins the music :( .

Regards,

Jericho 

Same problem;(

On 4/14/2017 at 11:28 AM, jchovils said:

Hello,

Regards,

Jericho 

If after 3 years you've solved this problem, PLEASE say how

Do you completely release the sustain pedal between passages, or are you possibly only partially releasing it? I am thinking it is possible that the piano is sensing prior notes continuously-as if you are still pressing all the keys in all the passages-and is running out of voices? Just a guess. In other words, if you have played several measures without the notes being fully released, the piano is scanning these as if all of those notes are still "on". Now if you add more sustained notes to that-the piano is reading all of those, and in a longer passage, you may be reaching the limits of how many notes the Casio can sustain, or it is having trouble creating the proper sustain because it cannot generate enough power to play all those. I think this Celviano can play something like 256 notes at once,  which should certainly be enough to sustain longer legato passages, but the CPU in the Celviano may have trouble keeping up, so it is cutting notes short. Or the CPU can't keep u[p with the repeated pedalling. I don't think the pedal would be at fault. can you connect another sustain pedal into this? If so, you will know if it is the pedal or the piano. I never noticed this on any of my Privias, the 350 and 560 but you've got me thinking, I will check this today and let you know what I find.

5 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Do you completely release the sustain pedal between passages, or are you possibly only partially releasing it? I am thinking it is possible that the piano is sensing prior notes continuously-as if you are still pressing all the keys in all the passages-and is running out of voices? Just a guess. In other words, if you have played several measures without the notes being fully released, the piano is scanning these as if all of those notes are still "on". Now if you add more sustained notes to that-the piano is reading all of those, and in a longer passage, you may be reaching the limits of how many notes the Casio can sustain, or it is having trouble creating the proper sustain because it cannot generate enough power to play all those. I think this Celviano can play something like 256 notes at once,  which should certainly be enough to sustain longer legato passages, but the CPU in the Celviano may have trouble keeping up, so it is cutting notes short. Or the CPU can't keep u[p with the repeated pedalling. I don't think the pedal would be at fault. can you connect another sustain pedal into this? If so, you will know if it is the pedal or the piano. I never noticed this on any of my Privias, the 350 and 560 but you've got me thinking, I will check this today and let you know what I find.

Unforrunatly, if yoy just press pedal, and just touch 1 note, it will sustain for ~2 sec.  (Absolutly the same problem, how man above had described: when you turn on piano all is ok, but after 20 sec of playing very simple things the problem is appears;(

5 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Do you completely release the sustain pedal between passages, or are you possibly only partially releasing it?......

And thanks for your's presence, when i got this problem and found this forum i was very scared, when i saw "2017" and no one answer😨

31 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

It sounds like something may be faulty in the sustain pedal.  The pedal position will determine the sustain length.  If it's faulty, a fully depressed pedal might act like a half depressed pedal, shortening sustain time. 

I read manual to this piano, found pedal wire, and this what i know now: problem is in wiring, if you lean under the piano, you can see this staggering wire, if you press sust. pedal you can hear a sound(don't know how to desvribe just increase volume and hear it), i unplugged rhis wire and heard this sound, it means, that when you press pedal, you break the signal, and in normal (unpressed pedal) situation signal goes there. So, when i unplug (that is exactly "pedal press"(healthy pedal press)) i hear loudly this sound, and when i press pedal i hear it very quiet and sometimes not 1 time. All this means, that casio gave me second little broken piano;(

On the firs look on tjis wire all is OK, exept that it is stragling, i tried to fix it in one place using tape, but did not work;( that means i do not know how to repair it.

(P.s. that was exactly right from the start, bc i we did nott use it for years since bought it (bought it, played a few notes by 3 or smth times and left alone)

(P.p.s if you are an electrician, pls, say what can i do with these symptoms?)

there is news: the situation is getting worse.

After all these tests even after restarting piano pedal not work as it must, last test show that 1-st press after turning on do normal loud sound, but the following are no longer. I press pedal 3-4 tumes like *press* 1-2 sec *unpress* and problem appears, the problem is exactly in the wiring, but what to do

I've solved the problem yeaaaaaaaa🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

So, first of all sorry for my english, i am russian.

Problem was is this thing on 2-nd photo, i did not know that you need to put it in right height, so while pressing pedal, other thing on 3-rd photo had bent over in position of red color(see photo). Thanks all of you for trying to help me

20200126_152936.jpg

20200126_152924.jpg

20200126_153029.jpg

• Like 1