Playing MIDI file from SD card with selected tone

woxof

Want to play a MIDI file from SD card through px-410r keyboard with the selected tone.

I have the MIDI file playing from the card just fine, but it is using the "standard" MIDI synth sound.

Want it to play using whatever tone is selected at the time, OR, let me choose what tone to play it through, such as 363, Space Voice 2, or 000 Grand Piano.

Thanks for you help

If the MIDI file is selecting a specific sound on the PX-410, that means the "Bank Select" and "Program Change" codes for selecting that particular sound are embedded within the MIDI file itself.  The PX-410 has no onboard filters or settings to prevent the MIDI file from changing the sound.  Also, the Song Recorder (sequencer) on the PX-410 can only load/edit Casio proprietary Song recordings.  It can not load/edit Standard MIDI Files (SMF) from the SD Card, or from any other source, for that matter.  Your only option is to load the MIDI file into a computer based DAW or sequencer software program, and use its "Event Editor" to change the embedded "Bank Select" and "Program Change" codes to the proper ones for automatically selecting the sound of your choice,  or you could use the "Event Editor" to just remove those codes entirely so that the file will not change the sound of your choice that you pre-select manually on the PX-410.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi tnicosonI have Reaper for MIDI editing.  Attached is a screen shot of what it looks like.  The first few lines  (2 -6) are what I think you refer to as the "embedded 'Bank Select' and 'Program Change' codes"?  I deleted lines 2-7, exported the file and tried it on the Casio.  Played Grand Piano, even though I had 363 (Space Voice) selected on the Casio.  I then tried changing line 2 (original file) to Sitar (104), exporting and playing on the Casio.  It played the Sitar synth scheme.

It appears the Casio is not capable of playing a MIDI file with the effect selected on the keyboard by the user.  Only, what is programmed in the MIDI file, OR, if none present, defaults to piano, ignoring what is preselected on the keyboard.

Any ideas?  And thanks for your time.

ReaperScreenShot.png

Woxof

I apologize for not picking up on what you were describing in your initial post, and your final statement in your second post is correct.  The instruments (tones/voices) that you select with the buttons on the keyboard's front panel only select what you play from the keys, and have no effect on what is played by a MIDI file.  To do that, you need to use the MIXER feature.  Description of and instructions for using the MIXER start on Page 39 of the PX-410 manual.  In particular, what you are trying to do, select an instrument (tone) on a particular MIDI channel to be played by a MIDI file, will be found at the top of the left hand column on Page 41.  Keep in mind that if a Program Change signal for a different tone comes along after you make your MIXER selection, the Program Change will override your MIXER selection.  A better method would be to make the change in the MIDI file itself with Reaper.  Your PX-410 should have come with an appendix that lists the Program Change codes for its various instruments (tones) that you can embed into the MIDI files with Reaper, but as I am not familiar with Reaper, I can not help you with that.