Firmware 1.14 released

Uwe M

Good news! Link to the firmware here: http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=1263

Besides the problems with the expression pedal that are hopefully corrected, any idea which "certain operations" were actually "improved" by this update? 

Since the firmware upgrade will fully reset the keyboard and delete all user data, I do have a couple of questions: 

- I have all of my registrations and tones backed up using the "save all" option. What will actually happen when I perform a "load all" operation? Will all user tones be properly loaded into the instrument/tone categories? Will all registrations reference the correct tones? I am asking this because whenever I load a new registration (downloaded from this forum for example), I then have to manually edit it so that it references the correct tone. So, I am afraid that after using the "load all" option I will have to edit all of my registrations.

- Is there any way to bulk copy the MIDI files to an external USB drive? The only process I am aware of is copying each file one at a time. This is not only a time consuming process but  also a cumbersome one due to an interface design that requires a high number of "clicks" to perform each copy. So, is there any way to bulk copy MIDI files to an external USB drive? Or is there any alternative option to get the MIDI data from a computer connected to the keyboard via the USB/MIDI interface (likely not)?  

First of all, the update itself does not delete any user data. It's always good to have a backup anyway for other reasons. If you decide to perform an intialize all (factory reset), that will delete everything.  But yes, save all "ZAL" file saves everything stored in the keyboard as a snapshot.  It will load everythig like it was when you saved it and to the same locations.  

• Like 2

I installed the 1.14 firmware yesterday on my 560 after spending a (long) time copying MIDI files to an USB external device. As BradMZ said, the upgrade itself does not delete the user data. But I performed a factory reset as stated in the upgrade instructions and all user data was deleted as a result. So you should "save all/l" the tones and registrations and save all the relevant SMF files one by one before upgrading.

The 1.14 upgrade seems to be just about fixing bugs. It is not clear exactly which problems are corrected because the release note only makes reference to an "improvement" of the expression pedal and to "improvement" of "certain operations". As a side note, correcting bugs is not an "improvement" but simply making a system to behave as expected.

I am disappointed because the PX-560 is marketed as being part of the "Privia Pro" series (whatever that means) and I believe it is still the most expensive keyboard being sold by CASIO apart from the Celviano GP series. So, I was (wrongly) expecting CASIO to improve the Privia Pro keyboards. From my perspective, CASIO seems to be focussed in improving the MZ keyboards and marketing the Celviano GP. The Privia Pro series is out of the map and just being ignored. Anyone who had the chance to visit the CASIO booth in the Musikmesse a couple weeks ago got that message.The 1.14 upgrade is just a reflection of that: it offers no new features, no improvements to any of the existing functionality and no improvements to the user interface. I would really like CASIO to prove me completely wrong and show their commitment to the Privia Pro. 

On the upside, this upgrade seems to have corrected the metronome bug (the metronome would not beat steadily as it would skip some ticks every couple hundred measures). I will test it properly during the next days. Hopefully, the MIDI player loop/repeat bug was also addressed. If any of you find any actual "improvement" in the 1.14 upgrade please let me know. Cheers!

• Like 4

My impression exactly. I don't know what Casio is doing behind the scenes. All I can see is what is happening "on stage." On stage, not much seems to be happening with the PX-560 (or the PX-5S, but that's now so "old" that I wouldn't expect much more from them on that product). Except for this bug-fix firmware update (which, don't get me wrong, I appreciate) they don't APPEAR to be giving the PX-560 much attention despite its supposed inclusion in Casio's Privia Pro line. C'est la vie. There are other fish in the sea and potential customers will choose to catch them instead. The competition ain't sleepin'.

• Like 2

Hi,

Is factory reset is required?

I have done the firmware update but hesitant to do factory reset unless it is a must.

Can anyone help please.

Also I have found that "Auto Power off" not working anymore in 1.14, it was working fine in the previous version 1.10

Casio what have you done, please let us know

Thanks.

Hi! The official word from Casio is to do the factory reset. My humble opinion is that requirement is there because it was copied and pasted from some other Casio firmware upgrade instruction manual, not because it is necessary. The factory reset will restore the system parameters to their default factory values and delete all user data as well. But from a technical perspective such data can be fully kept between compatible updates of the system. The keyboard stores the system parameters that are configurable by the user (mixer, EQ settings, main settings etc.) and the user created data (tones, registrations, SMFs etc.). Apart from this data, the keyboard has no need to store any other type of data when turned off. And all internal system variables (sound generator data, oscillator data, counters, etc.) must also be fully reset at least when the system is powered up. So the system after being upgraded can still use all system parameters and user data that were defined with the previous firmware version. A full reset does makes sense if the firmware changed parameters or formats that are incompatible with the ones found in previous firmware versions. A simple example: if a tuning temperament was removed in this version then a reset would be the simplest way to make sure that the existing registrations were not using a temperament that no longer exists. But all parameters and formats in 1.14 (and 1.10) seem to be exactly the same, which would make the reset unnecessary. If there were any changes of this kind then they were not documented! But only Casio could explain if - and why - the reset is really required.

As a side note, I also fail to understand why the factory reset option is not just about restoring all system parameters to their original values while keeping the user created data intact. At least, there is no reason to delete the SMF files when restoring the system parameters.

Anyway, what makes the factory reset an unnecessarily difficult task for the users who have been using the keyboard's internal memory instead of USB to save SMF files, is the inability to easily save/load (and delete) these files - these are good examples that show how not to design a graphical user interface ;-) The tones and registrations can be easily saved and loaded, and the system parameters that need to reconfigured after the reset are minimal, as most are saved with the registrations anyway. So, the reset should not a big deal if you have no internal SMF files. And maybe that is Casio is requesting the reset. Not because it is necessary but because it should be easy for (most of?) the users.

And yes, the power off does does not seem to work anymore as in version 1.10. And unfortunately the metronome bug in version 1.10 was not corrected in version 1.14. It still sounds a beat out of tempo every couple of minutes. I agree that for most the metronome bug is probably insignificant in scope of the overall functionality of the keyboard. But it is rather unacceptable for a digital musical instrument to have a basic metronome that is not working properly! And I do wonder if this metronome timing issue (which seems to technically be an overflow or rounding error) is confined just to the metronome or if it is also affecting everything on the keyboard that depends on correctly timing the tempo and its beats, such as rhythms, the arp, the synchronization of some DSPs (e.g. delay), and playing the SMF files. Anyway, I guess this upgrade is just trying to fix the expression pedal. Better than nothing!

It would be grateful if Casio would let its customers know what was actually changed with this upgrade and if there are plans to release any future firmware improvements for this keyboard. Thanks.

• Like 4

I got back to 1.10 firmware, since the 1.14 fixes the expression pedal but causes new problems...

my expression pedal works not bad, a cheap M-Audio EX-P...

the update causes new problems... that's crazy... in spite of all the already existing problems and requests arisen by the users! 

I am rather angry at Casio... so, owners of PX-560M, though it is the most expensive of the Privia series...

do not deserve respect... cost of PX-560M 1.200,00€ rather than 850,00€ of the PX-5S...

The focus was on the PX-5S ... and now has moved to the MZ-X500...

Ok, I will swap to an other brand as soon as I can afford it...

• Like 1

Simone

Sorry to hear that the update did not help you.  You state that, not only did the update fail to fix existing problems, but it caused new problems, but you do not say what the new problems are.  If you don't mind, and have the time, could you please list what problems were NOT corrected and what NEW problems were created, for those of us who have been considering a 560M, but may now be having second thoughts.  We would not need an in-depth analysis that would take a lot of your time - just simple statements.  If you could do that, it would help us decide whether purchasing one anyway is worth the risk.  BTW . . . This is not to single out and beat up on Casio.  Yamaha's upper end PSR's and Tyros Arrangers have some deficiencies that are slow in being addressed, and other than an AX-1500G Guitar Effects Processor, that I dearly love, I have never been a Korg user, but I seem to remember a similar history with some of their keyboard offerings.  This seems to be a frightening trend for those of us not affluent enough to suffer a sizeable loss in disposing of a disappointing purchase in order to pursue something more promising.

First of all tnicoson, I do not tell you not to buy it, as a matter of fact I just wanted it, note that it was born 2 years ago but not available in Italy till 1 year and a half ago, I could get it just before Christmas 2015, on instalments...

this is a short list of what you do not have to expect from PX-560M

• it is not a workstation
  • it does not have a real sequencer
  • no MIDI implementation guide or sheet is supplied
  • the accompaniments are rahter simple and old
  • it is not a master keyboard to send MIDI data

the list of the good qualities is longer

• the keyboard is 88 graded keys
  • the keyboard is hard enough
  • the keyboard is triple sensor
  • the keyboard touch and feel is fine
  • the keyboard is better than that of the PX-5S
  • the speakers are enough
  • the touch panel works fine
  • the USB pen drive works fine
  • the display of envelope is fine
  • the tweaking sound is easy
  • the effects are fine
  • the drumkits are fine
  • you can set the split point wherever you like it (not common feature in other brands)
  • the dynamic is fine
  • creating hex-layer with up to 6 sounds is fine
  • the blue colour is fine
  • the 100 preset arpeggiator is fine (though not advertised by Casio)
  • the LINE IN inputs work fine (not common feature in other brands)
  • the expression pedal works fine
  • the real time controller knobs work fine
  • it works fine as a master keyboard to play other instruments or VST

As it can be read in italian forums, some owners of the PX-5S sold it and swapped it with the PX-560M, because the keyboard is better but then use it to play VST instruments, complaining about the internal sounds. Try them together and you cannot but realize it, I am a piano player and felt the difference in a while, the fact is that also my son realized it in a couple of seconds, though he is a child and told me about it before I could tell him. 

A lot of stuff was written in this forum complaining about the poor sampling of the Steinway into the Casio Piano sound, and I agree with it, that it has not enough sustain and lacks of body in the middle, where some notes are sampled even worse, that it suffers from short decay... that's why I worked so hard but I was happy to share more real like piano sounds with the other members in the download section. Nevertheless if you are a piano player you still hear that the sampling is the same and only one through camouflage by tweaking. Yet I also realized that someone likes it the way it is or worse, cuts it shorter.

Try the AP700, that is a fascinating digital piano, the best sampling is the Steinway, then comes the Bechstein and last the Boesendorfer, I do not swap with it, because of the price and because it is not portable.

As for the firmware update that does more harm than healing the bugs:

I only read this page and realized that what the other members wrote was sadly true,

the 2nd update in 2 years and it unfixes what was working fine rather than fixing bugs!

this is not acceptable, in spite of what much more was asked for in other posts...

in the meantime the cost of the PX-560M has risen from 1.100,00€ to 1.200,00€...

• expression pedal runs more smoothly, fixed
  • metronome bug not fixed
  • auto power off worked and does not work anymore, now needs to be fixed!
  • real time control knobs worked fluently and do not anymore, now need to be fixed!
  • no description about what the 1.14 does...
  • the included sheet is about the MIDI SMF, the which was fixed by the 1.10...

by the way, the previous on the main site was 1.10... so, what about 1.11, 1.12, 1.13...?

Yes, Alenk, I had posted a screenshot of the facebook where a member described that the 1.14 caused the delay of the knobs, I did not think it was something wrong, anyhow, the post was removed and I was not informed nor warned by the admins, sorry, maybe I violated any privacy

• Like 2

Hi! I fully agree with Simone. The problems I have found so far are in the 1.14 upgrade :

• Metronome bug is still there. Seems to be different than the bug in 1.10 but it still does not work.
  • Auto power off does not as in 1.10. I left the keyboard on overnight and it was still on the next day. In 1.10 it powered off after a long 3-4h.
  • MIDI player repeat does not work as expected. The same as in 1.10. This is not necessarily a bug but poor implementation. I have never seen any MIDI player (software or keyboard based) introducing a delay when repeating. The same happens with the MIDI player repeat A-B where one needs to tweak the "ticks" in order to get seamless playback. But as soon as you change the tempo you need to re-tweak the ticks. So, loops and repeats are not working properly.
  • The knobs are now jumpy. In 1.10 the knobs resulted in smooth inputs and smooth output transitions. Now there is a delay or a "jump" between the knob input and the effect on the sound.
  • It seems I am now having some issues with the acoustic pianos (around 40% volume using headphones and not tested with other tones). Nothing has changed in my setup apart from the upgrade to 1.14. Some keys now seem to produce a random stacatto sound regardless of the velocity and the sustain/reverb seems to be non-existent. (seems the sound is bypassing reverb and other DSP effects). This was quite noticeable for me because I was practising the same piano piece before the upgrade and now, after the upgrade, I get this random but very audible sound artefacts where before there were none. Maybe this is a very big coincidence and some of the key sensors are not working properly anymore (my keyboard is 1 year old and some of the middle octave keys are now much more noisy and "clicky" than before and than the upper and lower octave keys, so there is probably some internal wear).
  • Still no MIDI specification. At least an official statement about the feasibility of changing registrations using MIDI.
  • 1.14 introduces no improvements or new features at all (especially from the MZ). This is very disappointing as the 560 is supposed to be Casio's top-range Privia Pro model. At this point I was expecting new tone libraries (especially hex-layers) and rhythms to have been published by Casio. This helps keeping a keyboard model alive for long. This would have been made simpler if it was possible to load user-created tones across models with similar sound engines (this is exactly what happens with most middle and top range models of other brands). If Casio had no plans to improve the 560 then it would have been much better to do like in the other Privias such as the 360 and remove the firmware upgrade feature altogether. This is not about blaming Casio but just a personal matter of having the wrong expectations.
  • Like 3

Thanks Simone and Arcturus.  That is what I was looking for.  Hopefully, it will be of use to others here, as well.  As for myself, I think I will hold off and just stick with my trusty old WK-3800 workhorse for a bit yet.  I wonder if the 560's coming from the factory with 1.14 already installed have the same issues, or if there is just something wrong with the 1.14 download package ? ? ?  It would be nice if someone who got a 1.14 560 out of the box would jump in here and let us know.

BTW Simone, you did mention an item in your reply that has been troubling me, and is the main reason I have not already gone for the 560 - the fact that it is not really a workstation.  I had to give up my CTK-7000 and WK-7500 about a year ago to help cover the cost of repairs to my rural electrical entrance due to severe lightning damage.  I thought I would come back in with the 560, but I was so reliant on the workstation capabilities of those models that I am afraid I would miss them dearly - to the point of being disappointed in the 560.  So, I may just come back in with a 7200 and 7600, or their next iterations. Decisions, decisions, decisions ! ! !

There should be nothing wrong with the downloadable package itself as its integrity is fully verified before the actual upgrade starts. If the download package was corrupt and if the upgrade process used it anyhow, then we would most likely end up with a dead keyboard :-) What is very wrong is that the contents of the 1.14 package still have bugs. If the current production models that come out of the factory with 1.14 do not display these issues that would mean that some problems we now have are hardware related. But I really doubt that will happen. The knobs worked in 1.10 and now they do not. So this is a software error introduced in 1.14. Even the timing issue of the metronome and of the repeats/loops in the MIDI player should be fully software related. 

@tnicoson I guess the better would be for you to wait at least until July for the next Summer NAMM or even for the Winter NAMM or next year's MusikMesse and see what happens. Maybe Casio will announce a proper sucessor to the 5S or 560 or will just discontinue this line. I visited Casio's booth at the MusikMesse early this month and the Casio representatives there were definitely not standing for the Privia Pro line. From a marketing perspective there were just two main focus areas: the digital pianos (the GP hybrids and the Celviano range) and the workstations/synths (MZ, etc). The overall message was: if you want a digital piano get a GP. Cannot afford a GP? Get a Celviano. Need a lightweight keyboard? Then go for the PX360. Need sequencing, tone editing, sliders and controllers and workstation features? Go to the MZ range. So, I found Casio's concept of "pro" stage piano rather confusing because the 560 and the 5S were completely out of place. This was perhaps the biggest contrast between Casio's booth and the competition, as the other major brands put a lot of emphasis on the pro/prosumer 88 key "stage" pianos. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PriviaMan said:

image of what Alen?

It was an image from Facebook showing user complaints about the PX-560 after they upgraded the firmware. Simone confirmed it was there.

When an admin removes a post the polite thing to do would be to send the poster a short PM about why. From what Simone says I have to assume he never got such a PM and he is left guessing what rule he broke. No one should ever be left guessing. It leaves a chilling effect. 

• Like 1

Simone, 

This is my post from the FB group in regards to the knobs.  I'll be checking into some other issues you describe as soon as possible.  One thing you state above however is not factual.  The keyboard in the PX-5S and PX-560 are identical. There are no physical changes in the action between the two products.  

------

Okay, I spent some time with this and I understand the changes with the knob behavior. This is a good thing in my opinion, let me explain.  

Before v1.14, broad parameter changes were challenging. It was NOT possible as an example to do a smooth filter cutoff sweep using the knob. Some o
f use would resort to using the Modwheel as a filter control as it was the only way to get a smooth filter sweep as an example. Now with v1.1.4 as long as the "Auto Resolution" parameter is ON (found in the menu under the knob assignment), this is great for these broad expressive changes in layer balance, filter or parameters.

The issue that some of you have discovered is that it is more difficult to do precise adjustments in EQ as an example. In the knob value. Set the "Auto Resolution" to off and you'll see that each "click" of the knob precisely adjusts the values. So you'll want to change the Auto Resolution parameter based on the type of control you're looking for.

image1.JPG

• Like 2

This sounds like some smoothing (interpolation) has been added to parameter changes made with the knobs when "Auto Resolution" is on. That does sound like a good thing, even better that it can be turned off when it is not desired.

5 hours ago, arcturus said:

I visited Casio's booth at the MusikMesse early this month and the Casio representatives there were definitely not standing for the Privia Pro line. From a marketing perspective there were just two main focus areas: the digital pianos (the GP hybrids and the Celviano range) and the workstations/synths (MZ, etc). The overall message was: if you want a digital piano get a GP. Cannot afford a GP? Get a Celviano. Need a lightweight keyboard? Then go for the PX360. Need sequencing, tone editing, sliders and controllers and workstation features? Go to the MZ range. So, I found Casio's concept of "pro" stage piano rather confusing because the 560 and the 5S were completely out of place. This was perhaps the biggest contrast between Casio's booth and the competition, as the other major brands put a lot of emphasis on the pro/prosumer 88 key "stage" pianos. 

Trade shows like NAMM and MusikMesse are primarily designed to gain sales and distribution on Casio's latest products. The Grand Hybrid is is Casio's main focus no question.  We actually had the Grand Hybrid placed in two booths at Winter NAMM in January.  That being said, we had 2 PX-560's in our booth (one on stage and one for people to try out) as well as 2 PX-5S and 2 MZ-X500 configured the same way.  The reality is, we have a lot of products to show and the newer products; in this case Grand Hybrid and MZ-X generally get more of the spotlight.  That being said Kristian Terzic was performing on a PX-560 throughout the entire MusikMesse show - perhaps you missed that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Martin said:

Simone, 

This is my post from the FB group in regards to the knobs.  I'll be checking into some other issues you describe as soon as possible.  One thing you state above however is not factual.  The keyboard in the PX-5S and PX-560 are identical. There are no physical changes in the action between the two products.  

------

Okay, I spent some time with this and I understand the changes with the knob behavior. This is a good thing in my opinion, let me explain.  

Before v1.14, broad parameter changes were challenging. It was NOT possible as an example to do a smooth filter cutoff sweep using the knob. Some o
f use would resort to using the Modwheel as a filter control as it was the only way to get a smooth filter sweep as an example. Now with v1.1.4 as long as the "Auto Resolution" parameter is ON (found in the menu under the knob assignment), this is great for these broad expressive changes in layer balance, filter or parameters.

The issue that some of you have discovered is that it is more difficult to do precise adjustments in EQ as an example. In the knob value. Set the "Auto Resolution" to off and you'll see that each "click" of the knob precisely adjusts the values. So you'll want to change the Auto Resolution parameter based on the type of control you're looking for.

image1.JPG

Thanks Mike, this does indeed solve the issue with the knobs. The problem is not one of inherent with the keyboard or its programing but with our knowledge and understanding. Thanks for clarifying, Mike.

• Like 1

Should I point out that if the release notes you see on the download page for V1.14 said more than "Improving expression pedal performance" and "Improving certain operation," or even if the manual addendum had been updated to explain the new functionality, there would be less user misunderstanding and frustration?

Nah, surely the smart people at Casio know this already. They're just messing with us. :) 

• Like 2