Firmware 1.14 released

Uwe M

7 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

Simone, 

This is my post from the FB group in regards to the knobs.  I'll be checking into some other issues you describe as soon as possible.  One thing you state above however is not factual.  The keyboard in the PX-5S and PX-560 are identical. There are no physical changes in the action between the two products.  

Mike, I love you so much, because you resemble an american colleague of mine, same way of talking, same shirts, same way of moving the hands and so on, but, since you are a Casio manager in America you need to be aware of the units that we receive in Italy. The keyboards are identical BUT

• there is a noticeable difference in feel and touch, because there is more accuracy in the assembly of the PX-560M
  • if there had been no difference I would have bought the PX-5S and spent 800,00€ rather than 1.100,00€
  • if there had been no difference other people would not have spent twice as much by swapping the PX-5S with the PX-560M

that's it, either you do believe it or not, this is a fact, it is not my impression.

17 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

Understood but the "Auto Resolution" parameter has always been there, the implementation is just better now.  Probably what they mean by "improving certain operation". ;) 

Yes, it has always been there. But the description of it in the manual does not imply any kind of smoothing or interpolation, which is what I was trying to say was the good thing. All the manual describes is what amounts to a scaling function. Now, if _I_ had engineered that it would have used interpolation from the start. (And I could have done that; I spent over twenty years doing similar design work on embedded systems.) It's nice to see that the Casio engineers have improved it. Frankly, I hadn't noticed that it needed improvement because I never examined the operation of the knobs that closely. I've hardly used them at all. I'm still too busy making my XW-P1 do cartwheels and other tricks to devote much attention to the PX-560.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SimoneCarini said:

Mike, I love you so much, because you resemble an american colleague of mine, same way of talking, same shirts, same way of moving the hands and so on, but, since you are a Casio manager in America you need to be aware of the units that we receive in Italy. The keyboards are identical BUT

• there is a noticeable difference in feel and touch, because there is more accuracy in the assembly of the PX-560M
  • if there had been no difference I would have bought the PX-5S and spent 800,00€ rather than 1.100,00€
  • if there had been no difference other people would not have spent twice as much by swapping the PX-5S with the PX-560M

that's it, either you do believe it or not, this is a fact, it is not my impression.

With the exception of the Celviano Grand Hybrid, Casio only manufactures one 88-key weighted keyboard action.  This same action is used in all Privia models starting at the PX-160 up to the PX-5S, PX-560 as well as furniture models like the PX-860.  This same action is used in the Celviano AP-260, AP-460 and AP-650.  They're all the same.  

4 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

Casio only manufactures one 88-key weighted keyboard action. This same action is used in all Privia models 

Theoretically they are all identical, you are right but I am right too: the difference comes from the accuracy in the assembly.

• 3 weeks later...

why doesn't anyone thank casio for finally allowing naming of registration files, this is included in v1.14  There were lots of people wanting this. You can now save and personally name the file to usb stick in the front

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2017 at 6:53 PM, SimoneCarini said:

Theoretically they are all identical, you are right but I am right too: the difference comes from the accuracy in the assembly.

I have noticed occasional unit-to-unit variations in keyboard feel from Casio as well as some other brands (I noticed it very much on the XW-P1, for example) . This are a number of reasons this can happen, including using parts from multiple sources, which in theory should all be identical, but actually may not be, even if they are all "within spec." My point is, while I believe you when you say that the PX560 model(s) you played feel better than the PX5S model(s), I don't think that you can extrapolate from that that *all* PX560 boards will feel better than *all* PX5S boards. Personally, I own a PX560 and a PX5S which feel the same to me. It may be that some units feel a bit different, but if it happens, I suspect it will be "luck of the draw" as to whether that different feeling action ended up in a PX560 or a PX5S.

And while you're correct that some people have decided to move from a PX5S to a PX560, personally, I have not seen action as a reason. Rather, they preferred some of its features (touchscreen interface, expression pedal input, whatever), and felt that they didn't really need the things it was missing relative to the PX5S.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 28/5/2017 at 4:03 AM, anotherscott said:

And while you're correct that some people have decided to move from a PX5S to a PX560, personally, I have not seen action as a reason. Rather, they preferred some of its features (touchscreen interface, expression pedal input, whatever), and felt that they didn't really need the things it was missing relative to the PX5S.

I've just bought a b-stock (in exposition) PX5s and alas the deal maker was the discount they made me. The discount on the b-stock 560 was way less and of course the base price was higher.

I've tried both and the key between the two model seemed to me the same. 

Maybe the fact there are speakers in the 560 makes the keyboard noise different, makes people feel the keybed differently.

Anyway the colour screen is really nicer that the little backlit LCD and more intuitive. But being an engineer I know that it's important to read the fine manuals and take note on them with pencils.

On 2/21/2018 at 10:57 AM, mike71 said:

Maybe the fact there are speakers in the 560 makes the keyboard noise different, makes people feel the keybed differently.

That's a very good point. I have read that people feel that a digital piano with built-in speakers, especially speakers that have some bass, feels more natural and closer to the feel of a real piano than a DP without. I supposed anyone with a PX-560 could test that by playing the same passage with speakers on and then with them off. One reason may be that the tone from the speakers transmits some bass into the keys and from there into the player's fingers; the keys literally feel different as a result. Another reason could be a psychological thing: In the display world, tests have shown that the images from a movie are judged as looking better when the observers hear the movie's soundtrack than when they don't. The mind is a powerful engine of self-deception. (But we really don't need to be reminded of that in today's alternative-fact-filled world, do we?)  

On 5/15/2017 at 9:03 AM, Julian said:

why doesn't anyone thank casio for finally allowing naming of registration files, this is included in v1.14  There were lots of people wanting this. You can now save and personally name the file to usb stick in the front

That's nice but I think one of the asks, or at least expectations, was for the name to appear on the LCD screen when you are selecting a registration to play. Does it? (I'm not near my PX-560 right now so I can't try it.) Another expectation was probably to see a list (menu) of the named registrations on the screen with the ability to choose from the list rather than needing to hit bank and registration buttons. The latter method would still need to work, of course, since it's much faster for live playing situations. But the whole problem is that of remembering what a given registration contains. If you all you have is number, it can be difficult to remember what selecting that number will recall. Hence, if the name doesn't appear on the LCD during or after selection, there is still a problem.

(This reminds me of an OLD joke. An new inmate in a prison hears people at night yelling out numbers and everyone laughing at them. He asks his cellmate about it and is told that since they have all told the same jokes many times they just give them numbers now. So the next night he tries one himself, "102." No one laughs at all. He asks his cell mate what went wrong. His cellmate says, "You told it wrong.") 

• 3 months later...

Couple of items to this thread-

To AlenK-in playing my PX350, yes there does seem to be some sort of resonance happening through the speakers transmitted to the feel of the playing experience-at least in my opinion. It may be a virtual perception-but the entire piano body is definitely responding physically to playing through the speakers in the bass registers mostly-I had posted something about this last year after I heavily modded my PX350 with new felt bumper strips and added a bit of damping material internally near the speakers. Once the keys were quieter and no longer an audible distraction, the effect for me at close range and at louder volumes was a more realistic piano playing experience-subtle but definitely not just in my imagination. Not sure if the newer PX560 will respond like this since the speaker array might be different. Bit the bullet and got one-just what I needed-my 4th Casio!

As far as the PX560 not having a real sequencer... The manual seems to describe a pretty-full featured 17-track sequencer-with cut and paste, copy, quantize and a few other features not on my PX350. Yes, there are not 2-dozen other esoteric sequencer functions as in a DAW or my other keyboard workstations-but then when I compose, I don't want 60 editing functions I don't need to slow me down, so the sequencer on the PX560 looks pretty workable to my style-I will be able to multitrack 16 tracks of random 12-tone rows to create music completely indistinguishable to anyone but my dog. And record blues riffs in 6 different keys simultaneously to disturb my fellow bandmates during rehearsals. have to keep life interesting

"If nobody's getting hurt, it ain't funny"-WC Fields..:www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-pianodance:    :hitt:  

• Like 1

A followup since I've gotten the PX560 under my chops now-compared to my PX350. I feel no difference in key action-a little firmer maybe but the PX560 is new, my PX350 might have been a "floor model" disguised as new.  And the color touchscreen, woo-hoo! I will have a tough time going back to anything else, it is super-fast going from function to function in the worst lighting-very important in performance venues. Also a little "chunkier" Physically than the PX350, but still fits in my PX350 gig bag no problem-as recommended by pianoman chuck comparing with the Korg 88-key which is several inches longer, so will fit in my A-frame stand too.  yippee!:www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-pianodance:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

An update to this...I am probably repeating myself but-the squeeky wheel....there is no overdub, there is no "cut and paste", no "undo" for the sequencer/song recorder. and godfrey daniel.....let the midi recorder record from external sources!  Would be nice (yeah, I know, nobody thinks this will happen...I try to have perpetual hope.....)  More envelope points-8 to be exact, like the Czs have. This is how I created so many wacky sounds out of my CZs when I had them. An 8-stage envelope for pitch, amplitude and filter can do amazing things if one knows how to program. I do. I even learned FM programming years back, but after several years of cognitive therapy to recover from that, i can now speak without putting the word  "algorhithms" in a sentence when talking about the weather, sports or just about anything else. Couldn't understand why no-one wanted to speak to me anymore. I'm better now......:banghead:

On 2/25/2019 at 4:07 PM, anotherscott said:

Not possible with the PX5S hardware, but there are workarounds... see the thread below.

Hmm, yeah, that might be an alternative, thanks for the link!
But still, point stands, that right now if you are using SP-33 pedal board with your PX-560 - Damper Jack becomes inefficacious...

Expression pedal options are pretty comprehensive in the PX560. Every function that can be assigned to the control knobs can be assigned to the assignable pedal jack, which means just about anything the PX560 can do, with some work. But please, please, please, firmware update-add a few features. Please? I'm asking nicely.........:taz:

• 10 months later...
On 4/20/2017 at 10:31 AM, Brad Saucier said:

First of all, the update itself does not delete any user data. It's always good to have a backup anyway for other reasons. If you decide to perform an intialize all (factory reset), that will delete everything.  But yes, save all "ZAL" file saves everything stored in the keyboard as a snapshot.  It will load everythig like it was when you saved it and to the same locations.  

I must be daft, but how does one perform a backup? I'm going thru the video tutorials in the sticky thread, but I can't seem to find a step-by-step procedure for this.

eta: I should have looked further down the first page, my bad.

Edited by vortmaxx
  • Like 1