Sign in to follow this  
drzaeis

xw-p1 as midi controller for daw

is it possible to use the xw as a controller for soft synths with studio one. I have it hooked up to a firestudio interface via the midi in out into my macbook pro.  I can't seem to get it to work. the software receives midi signal but it won't play the instrument. Are there drivers that are needed?

are there settings on the xw that need to be adjusted?

Since the Mac software is receiving MIDI signals I don't see how a driver would help (it would be a driver for the FireStudio interface). The XW-P1 sends garden-variety MIDI (e.g., no MIDI active-sensing strobe like my old Roland keyboard insists on sending out).

Nevertheless, you might want to check exactly what the XW-P1 is sending by using a MIDI monitor program on your Mac. Check especially to make sure that each of the zones on the XW-P1 aren't sending out the wrong program change messages. The ability for the XW-P1 to send these messages out when you select a Performance was added in a software revision and hence is not in the manual. IIRC you'll find the settings for each zone buried in the Zone settngs portion of the Performance edit menu.