How can I do this (arp and drum beat)?

pax-eterna

Okay say I want to have a simple kick drum only happening, four to the floor. Can this be done using the arpeggiator? The rhythm section (although beats cannot be changed or added afaik) or some other method? maybe assigning a kick drum to the metronome? Or none of the above as it is not possible?

Oh and this without live playing the keybed so that other drum sounds play as well.

Pretty sure this is doable on the PX5 - trying to do it on the 560 and I am coming up blank.

Record a midi at 4/4 and play the drum on the first beat of the first measure and then play it back using repeat A-B, setting A to measure 1/beat 1 and B to measure 2/beat 2/tick 1. Other option with the arp: try the "filtering" pattern with the "hold" option on applied to one of the zones and set a drum set to that zone. That arp pattern will repeat once per beat. If you set a slow tempo maybe you will get what you want. As far as I know you cannot change the metronome sound - the most you can do is getting rid of the bell/accent sound if you set the metronome beat count to zero. 

BTW, the 560 manual says it accepts CASIO format rhythm files, including the ac7 format as well as the older z00 and ckf formats. A while ago I downloaded some old ctk rhythms into the 560 that worked but all the few ac7 files I found online failed to load. There are discussions on this forum and elsewhere on how to create such rhythm files but I never looked into this in detail. There are probably forum members that can explain exactly how to use external software tools to create (or convert) rhythms that can be loaded into the 560. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

BTW, the 560 manual says it accepts CASIO format rhythm files, including the ac7 format as well as the older z00 and ckf formats. A while ago I downloaded some old ctk rhythms into the 560 that worked but all the few ac7 files I found online failed to load.

I tried to load ac7 and ckf a while back but I could not (see here). The Media load menu showed them but the execute button was grayed out. Did you load ckf (presume you meant that rather than "ctk" as you said) the same way (I don't see another way...)? Since those files worked for you could you post one of them here or a link so others could try? Perhaps the 560 is extra picky about which files it loads (i.e.,  it won't load just any old Casio ac7, z00 or ckf file).

Hi! Yes it is ckf format :-) Some of the files I tried are here http://music.casio.com/e/data_ex3/rhythm.html Just tested #54 with firmware 1.14 on the 560 and it seems to work fine (the intro, variation and ending work). I recall some of the files I have around seem not to use GM instruments and some tone mapping was required. But I have tried this quite a while ago.

Anyway, I never managed to load ac7 files (and I deleted them as they did not work at all. They are probably some newer ac7 files lying around in this forum that can be tested). I do not remember the exact spec, but the ac7 format can use more channels and have multiple variations and endings when compared to the ckf . So maybe the 560 only supports ckf - like formats (i.e. less channels and variations) and rejects proper ac7 files.

I did some rhythm/style editing using software a long time ago for other keyboards brands and there were plenty of tools to create styles and convert between different formats. It is probably the same with Casio but I never looked into this. I guess there should be at least some ckf/ac7 software editor out there. Or not?

Tried the above method, recording the MIDI, what the hell is that time lag when repeating a pattern? And how (if at all possible) can it be removed? Never seen a MIDI recorder that added a 1-3 beat delay on repeating a simple MIDI pattern.

Sheesh, just another bug/issue/fault/bad programming thing on this instrument!!! I am seriously thinking of returning this and getting a "true" pro instrument, not a home rinky dink unit!

20 hours ago, arcturus said:

Record a midi at 4/4 and play the drum on the first beat of the first measure and then play it back using repeat A-B, setting A to measure 1/beat 1 and B to measure 2/beat 2/tick 1.

I found that after recording the four beats, if i set B to measure 1, beat 4, tick 79 it plays back nicely! This was at 90 bpm. Now to figure out if I can dynamically change the tempo when playin live!

And, erm, how do you actually save this MIDI file and use with keybaord parts? Manual is a bit unlcear on this.

Nope, yet another thing that doesn't work all that well on this keyboard. I go back to the main screen and there is the recorded midi file (still ahve not figured how to save it to memory though) at the bottom and it plays as it should. However if I adjust the tempo for it to suit an different song for example, that works fine, BUT (haha and there is ALWAYS a but on this thing)  if I stop the beat for a dynamic pause in the song, and then restart it, it reverts to the original tempo. IE the dynamic tempo setting does not over-ride the one in the midi file. Means I would have to record/save the same beat at varying tempos. And then have to save this in a different Registration for each tempo! Or alternatively change the tempo on the main screen and then still have to use a Registration slot for each tempo!!! Ridiculous :banghead:

20 hours ago, arcturus said:

I guess there should be at least some ckf/ac7 software editor out there. Or not?

Apparently not. There is a petition on change.org asking Casio to develop an ac7 editor. He needs 73 more signatures (it was 74 when I visited).

https://www.change.org/p/casio-music-instruments-develop-a-rhythm-editor-pc-software-for-ac7-patterns

Apparently some Yamaha styles can be converted to ckf: