Video Files on Forum ×

CTK 611 and Windows 10 compatibility

jswoods4

Hello all,

I have a very old Casio CTK 611 with midi outputs.  I have a midi cable to USB.  When I plug it in the midi cable lights up, and my Win 10 computer does indicate that a USB2.0 midi device is connected, and my music program (Sibelius 7.5) sees that device, but I can not get Sibelius to receive midi input from my keyboard (the test fails).  I am assuming that my keyboard is way too old to work with Win 10 and there probably are not any compatible drivers.  I just want to be sure before I sink money in a replacement keyboard.  The midi cable that I have is a Sanoxy USB MIDI Cable Converter and has a dual in/out 5-pin DIN and a USB on the other end.  I have searched the internet for possible answers, and have not had success.  Any ideas?

51GQpVqxw2L._SL1000_.jpg

You only need drivers for a device that connects DIRECTLY to the computer - in this case, the USB-MIDI Adapter.  The Adapter will, in turn, interface the keyboard to the computer.  So, no drivers are needed for the keyboard, and if the USB-MIDI Adapter is "Class Compliant", it will not need special drivers either, as it will work with the drivers that have been built-in to Windows since XP Service Pack 2.  Apparently this is the case, since both Windows and Sibelius are "seeing" the adapter.  As long as the keyboard is fully functional, its age should make no difference.  Basic MIDI has changed very little, since its inception, and there are many of us successfully using USB-MIDI Adapters to connect our 15 to 20 year old keyboards to everything from XP to WIN-10.

As a start in diagnosing your problem, the labels on the 5-pin connectors of the USB-MIDI Adapter (should) indicate what they ARE and NOT what they connect to on the keyboard.  That is, the MIDI-OUT connector on the Adapter is an OUTPUT.  It needs to connect to the MIDI-IN on the keyboard, and the MIDI-IN connector on the Adapter is an INPUT, so it needs to connect to the MIDI-OUT on the keyboard.  Now, that said, some (many?) of the lower priced adapters get the labels reversed, so if you have them connected as I have stated above and they are still not working, try reversing them.  It will not harm anything.  Windows 8 and 10 are sometimes a bit picky about working with the lower priced adapters, so I usually recommend the name brands - Yamaha, EMU, M-Audio, Roland, but if this is the problem, Windows usually does not "see" the adapter, at all - which is not your case.  You also need to check the keyboard's and Sibelius' MIDI settings to ensure that the keyboard is transmitting its data on the channel that Sibelius is looking for it on.  A channel mismatch means no communications.  As a last resort, you need to consider that the keyboard's MIDI circuits are defective.  To check for this, I recommend downloading and installing MIDI-OX, a MIDI diagnostic tool:

http://www.midiox.com/

If MIDI-OX sees a signal when you press a key on the keyboard, then all of the hardware is functioning probably, and you most likely just need to set up Sibelius properly.

Good luck !

• Like 1

Ted,

You were right.  I had to switch the midi inputs.  By putting midi in into midi in and midi out into midi out, it worked.  I knew that out to in and in to out was how I did it back in the old days.  I guess the leads were labelled as to where they needed to go, not the actual direction.   Once again, thanks so much.  I am now working on the latency issues with my sound card, and the ASIO drivers don't seem to work for me.  Thinking about an external sound module so I can use it with my laptop, and not have to use the MS GM software driver.

Regards,

J. Woods

J

Glad you got the adapter problem sorted.  As a rule of thumb on that: If Windows or your music software do not "see" the adapter, then the problem is usually between the USB side of the adapter and the computer and is usually a driver or compatibility issue.  If Windows and your music software "see" the adapter, but the keyboard does not seem to be transmitting/receiving data, then the problem is usually between the 5-pin-DIN side of the adapter and the keyboard, and is usually an IN/OUT turnover issue or a MIDI set up problem with the keyboard or the music software or both.

As for your audio problems - by any chance have you tried the ASIO4ALL universal drivers?  They are about the only ones I have had success with for the Cakewalk products (Music Creator, Sonar, etc) with XP, VISTA, and WIN-7.  Some sound-card/OS/DAW combinations do not get on well with them, but they may be worth a try..

• 1 year later...

I just found one these at a thrift store today (with power supply!). Good timing as I don't want my kids playing on the CT-X.

Did a low pressure de-dusting with the air compressor and cleaned it up a bit. Must say, this is a neat little keyboard with some really nice synth sounds. 

I may prefer the backlight on the screen over the CT-X5000. Go figure!  

Please excuse the barrel distortion from the camera lens, and the low light performance. It's an old camera too.

P1000615.JPG

• 10 months later...
On 8/19/2019 at 10:34 PM, davidjesus said:

Hello, my name is David, I need to know how I can download midi driver from this keyboard, I would appreciate your help.

David

You can not connect the CTK-611's 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT ports directly to your computer.  You need an adapter like this:

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.sYhaNdN9wM0P8dkc8SHp4wHaHa&w=100&h=105&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=1.09&pid=3.1&rm=2

The adapter will come with the any necessary drivers.

- T -

David:

No puede conectar los puertos MIDI IN/OUT de 5 pines del CTK-611 directamente a su computadora.  Necesita sin necesidad de un adaptador como este:

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.sYhaNdN9wM0P8dkc8SHp4wHaHa&w=100&h=105&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=1.09&pid=3.1&rm=2

El adaptador vendrá con los controladores necesarios.

- T -

If you have any more midi connectivity problems, if something still doesn't seem to work or transfer properly-suspect the cable first. Maybe yours will be OK, but this style of midi adapter cable has become notorious for 1) having a vital IC chip missing in it, 2) dismally slow transfer rate, or none at all and 3) not being recognized by Windows due to its possibly defective internal design-poor solder joints caused this in many of these, Google it and you can read for yourself. I know, I bought 3 of these before I discovered how unreliable these were, and tore my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong with my keyboards, computers and software. Drove me crazy. glad its working for you.