Roland A500 MIDI'd to PX5S

Kevin251

I've just bought a Roland A500 Pro to hook up to my PX5S (and of course a DAW at some stage) and am starting to work on the basics of driving zones - so I've managed to play with setting the zones off/on for the PX5S but realising that, even when off on the PX5S, they can still be driven by the A500.

But does anyone know if it is possible to assign a PX5s tone/stage setting to a channel other than 1-4 so that I can then drive that from the A500?

In my limited logic, this would mean that I could assign up to additional "patches" to be driven by the A500. Or is it not as simple as that?

I've exchanged some points on the FB page and it seems it may not be possible but just wondering if I can get a definitive answer here/

TIA, Kev

Hello,

You can assign OUTPUT from the px-5s zones to any channel, but it will only receive INPUT on channels 1-4 for each zone in a stage setting respectively.

You can however, send other channels to the PX-5s (5-16).  Those will not be controlled by the stage settings.  They can still be played and you can send program changes to them and you can also control them through the mixer on the PX-5s or the song sequencer.

Thanks, Choppin.

I tried assigning - MSB 112 LSB 0 (or blank) PC (53 for the GM VOICE DOO from the tutorial manual Tone List) MIDI channel 5 - to one of the controllers on the A500 but couldn't seem to get it to play the sound. Still doing something wrong.

Coincidentally, Dave Curtis has just put up a similar post on the FB page with good replies at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Casio.Px5s/permalink/1157121584413418/ - there are couple of things in there I will need to try but otherwise, will have to find a similar A500 forum with such great community support as for the PX5S.

Thanks, again

HI.

If you send MSB 112 to the PX 5s, you are initiating the bank for a stage setting change.  Stage settings use Zones 1 through 4.  Stage settings can only receive input on midi channels 1-4.

What is the goal?  Do you want to play a stage setting on the PX 5s transmitted from the Roland?  You can only use midi channels 1-4 for a stage setting.

If you want to play a generic GM sound, you can send a program change (without the MSB 112) to channels 5-16

Hi Choppin

Thanks for your reply - yes, I've just found that I can send generic GM sounds to any MIDI channel from the A500 and that is basically my aim. I now need to plan my stage settings as well so that I can drive 1-4 where required from the A500. I have a few other questions about programming the A500 but that's for another forum but I haven't yet found anything for Roland to compare with the Casio stuff!

Thanks again for your replies.

Best

Kevin