Registrations CANNOT be selected via MIDI

pax-eterna

Okay after testing with sending data (or trying to) that the 560 generates with a push of a registration button, and the "deafening silence" from Casio on the subject, despite many requests, I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed NOT possible to select a registration via midi. I am happy to be proved wrong by CASIO, but I'd be preapred to bet that nothing will be forthcoming from them!

Just like CASIO did not add a continuous controller jack option to the PX5 (as they probably thought no-one would want it!!) the company have not included this vital and very important operation (selection of registrations via MIDI) in the OS or MIDI specification for the 560. This is DESPITE it clearly stating in the MIDI spec sheet that SYSEX will be recevied by the 560. And looking at data generated, it would seem that the 560 does indeed use SYSEX data within itself however this is not available at the IN port of either USB MIDI or standard MIDI.

I think that as they have not included the Registration banks in the MIDI data that can be selected using MSB/LSB Program change or any other method, (refer the addendum) Casio had no intention or thought of it ever being required.

Therefore I think we should stop beating our heads against the wall and accept it is more a home keyboard than a pro stage model, and ergo without any advanced MIDI operations, and move on from there. The marketing does not go overboard on its ability as a controller so I guess there is the biggest clue as to the 560s "raison d'etre".

I do not believe (CASIO) will release any firmware updates to address this as all the focus now will be on the PX 5 successor (and/or other models in CASIOs range). The only updates will be for OS bugs, and afaics on this score, there is not much wrong with the 560. They will want a clear separation of targt market for the 560 and any PX5 replacement.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...