Yamaha STY files to MIDI files

On 3/25/2014 at 6:23 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

Stytockf1.2 will convert any Yamaha style file to a Casio .ckf style file and it works pretty well for that, but I don't know how to convert from .ckf to .ac7 . . . . .

Johnathon

I do not know if you ever found an answer to this, so . . . . .

The .ckf files for the older 76 key WK-3000, 3300, 3500, 3800, etc and their 61 key CTK counterparts were distribution files which could contain a single rhythm, a single tone, a single tone with wave, a single drawbar organ tone, etc or any number or mixture of the same.  They were sort of a Casio proprietary "zip" file.  It was the IDES Data Management Software's job to extract the different file types and install them into the target keyboard's appropriate User Memory areas.  Because of the vast differences between the older models' sound engines and those of the newer CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX models, none of the older tone related files will work in the newer models, but because of the similarities in their Rhyrhm engines, the older Rhythm files will work in the newer models.  In particluar, the old .ckf Rhythm files extracted to .Z00 files and the newer models will import either the .ckf file or the .Z00 file, and conversion to the new .AC7 Rhythm format is performed by the target keyboard's operating system as the file is loaded into that keyboard's User Rhythm memory.  This conversion occurs whether the file is loaded from a PC by the Data Management Software or directly from an SD Card.  That is to say, the "conversion" is done by the keyboard, not the Data Management Software.  If, at some later point in time, those files are copied back to an SD Card or brought back up to a PC's hard drive with the Data Management Software, they come back in the new .AC7 format.  So, if you wanted to convert a set of old Rhythm files for someone, you need only install them (either .ckf or .Z00) into one of the newer model's User Rhythm memory, and then bring them back to the PC in the new .AC7 format.  That is to say, the keyboard is the "converter".  I think you would probably find that the new PX models do the same.

Just to add one more thing, if you change a Yamaha .STY file extension to .MID  any midi file player will play the file.  

I went and found about 300+ Yamaha styles.   There are a LOT of Yamaha styles out there to choose from.    I was able to preview them before considering them useful for me to convert.    Saved a bunch of time.    The downside is at least on the WK's and CTK's  you can only save 100 to user saved memory....

This program will convert the STY files to CKF pretty effortlessly.   The conversion doesn't always work as intended and sometimes the INTROs or ENDINGs don't work.  Still most of the converted files were usable on my WK7500    You do need Microsoft Office or Excel for this program to work.

http://casio.medivm.ru/software/CASIO_RhythmConv v2.3.zip

19 hours ago, Vorbis said:

Just to add one more thing, if you change a Yamaha .STY file extension to .MID  any midi file player will play the file.  

Which is not to say that it will sound the same as it would have when played as an STY file on a Yamaha keyboard, or even necessarily anywhere close. (I can easily imagine people jumping to that conclusion.) The STY format contains extra data that MIDI players ignore.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:03 PM, Vorbis said:

I went and found about 300+ Yamaha styles.   There are a LOT of Yamaha styles out there to choose from.    I was able to preview them before considering them useful for me to convert.    Saved a bunch of time.    The downside is at least on the WK's and CTK's  you can only save 100 to user saved memory....

This program will convert the STY files to CKF pretty effortlessly.   The conversion doesn't always work as intended and sometimes the INTROs or ENDINGs don't work.  Still most of the converted files were usable on my WK7500    You do need Microsoft Office or Excel for this program to work.

Thanks for sharing information about compatibility of STY and MIDI.

After quick review it looks like STY contains segments for each mode of a style.

Very straight forward.

Thanks again.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:03 PM, Vorbis said:

19 hours ago, AlenK said:

Which is not to say that it will sound the same as it would have when played as an STY file on a Yamaha keyboard, or even necessarily anywhere close. (I can easily imagine people jumping to that conclusion.) The STY format contains extra data that MIDI players ignore.

Obviously it suppose to contain addition description which specifies at least length of every segment(mode) of a style.

20 hours ago, sslyutov said:

Obviously it suppose to contain addition description which specifies at least length of every segment(mode) of a style.

Much more than that. Yamaha STY files (there are others) can also contain an important (for Yamaha keyboards, at any rate) chunk of data called CASM and a few other chunks. 

See herehere and here.

According to what I read in those links (and others) styles that contain CASM chunks, which apparently includes many Yamaha STY files, may not play even remotely correctly without properly interpreting the CASM data.

(PS. There are many resources at the second and third links that could help with conversion efforts.)

• 1 year later...
On 5/4/2017 at 9:33 AM, Vorbis said:

do you have this in English. Also can you help me with instructions on how to extract only the Drum parts in Midi Format?

• 2 weeks later...