Casio PX-850 sounds thin with headphones. why?

The first thing I would check are the headphones themselves. Make sure the headphones sound full and have bass response with other sources.

The other thing might be that for some reason, the headphones aren't connected properly and somehow you're getting the sound in mono and maybe things are cancelling each other out.

The speaker system on the PX-850 is pretty robust and fills the room quite nicely. If you are used to that sound and then go to headphones, you lose a lot of the "feel" of the bass sound. I'm with Joe in checking your headphones and making sure they up to the task. What brand / model headphones are you using? 

• 1 year later...

- Edit: I think mine is broken (see below).  But still think binaural sampling takes the cake. 

I have to say, I own a Yamaha CLP635 , which uses binaurally recorded sounds, and the PX850 headphone sounds bad compared to that. The panning is abrupt. Definitely will improve on nice open back headphones, but it will still sound a little whack compared to binaural samples

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Is that the same PX-850 you bought used at a massive discount?   It sounds like that unit needs repair.

Yep ! And hey thanks maybe you're right and they are related issues.  Does yours sound natural in headphones?  I am comparing it to top of the line binaural sampling, but now that you mention this... my old Privia 400R sounded just fine in headphones.  I'll edit my post thanks so much.  Calling support tomorrow maybe will see how much new PCBs cost.  Since I got It for $250 it should be pretty doable.

18 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Is that the same PX-850 you bought used at a massive discount?   It sounds like that unit needs repair.

Hey Brad after further tests... I don't think the headphones are broken -  it's just a equal panning from right to left.  Really not how it sounds sitting in front of a piano where resonance is a huge centering factor.  I stand by my comment about binaural samples being superior though that wasn't what this reviewer was asking :)