Getting kick drum beat only?

pax-eterna

So I am trying to find ways to keep the px5 - several things are causing me to look elsewhere, but I like the keybed and some other operational things, so I am genuinely looking to keep it (tried the 560 and it went back!)

Now if I can figure this, then maybe it will help the decision, hahaha!

What I am after is to be able to have a simple kick drum only beat, similat to me using my kick stomp pedal  http://www.peterman.com.au/music/stompboxes/Bass-stomp-puck-pro

example say, doof..doof..doof..doof, and variations and syncopations on that theme, but all juts a kick drum only..

Now is it true that drums can ONLY be assigned to Zone 1? What if I need to use two Hex tones? Can I create a Hex that will allow this drum pattern AND say a hex bass for example?

Hi, pax-eterna

If you wanted to do a kick drum using the pedal, you may have seen this post:

In theory, you could change the write back midi channel to 10 and make sure the px5s midi mixer for channel 10 is set to a drum kit.  Just tried it and it works.  A variation of this would be to create a phrase and play it through the song sequancer

thanks Choppin, yeah sorry, I wasn't clear in my OP.Creating a phrase to play this automatically with a Stage Setting is exactly what I want to do. Except the phrase would be slightly different on a per song basis.

I'll have a try of your tip though, sounds interesting :)

PS: When you say write back, can you explain what you mean by that please?

Hi,

I meant two things by write back:

1. if you used a pedal to manually send the kick drum signal. you don't have to have it sound on channel 1 zone 1 for a drum like a stage setting or phrase.  You can have it write back or rather play on channel 10 (the standard midi channel for percussion)

2. any external midi input can play on channel 10.

In regard to number 2, you could  for example preprogram a few midi files with whatever bass kick pattern you want, save the files on USB, and then play them on the ps-5x.  Just make sure they are recorded on channel 10.  You can use a bank and program change within the midi file to select the specific drum set or kick you want the px to play.  The advantage of recording a midi file versus a sound file is that you can adjust the tempo on the midi playback live through the PX

And another option, though you won't be able to play back a phrase directly on channel 10, you could program a phrase and use the song sequencer to play it back on channel 10 with your choice of kick drum.

Does that help?

...and one other possibility:  You could set maybe zone 3 or zone 4 to a GM drum tone - maybe the timpani or synth drum or the tom etc.  Set the zones range so that the only key that will sound is the low A.  Make sure the other zones ranges are above that note.  Then create your phrase that only plays that one key in whatever rythm you want.  Assign that phrase to that zone.  You might also be able to modify a non-drum tone to sound like a kick by changing the pitch, frequency, attack etc. and do the same thing