Casio WK-3300 DemoTune 0?

Hi there!

This might be a little odd, but I used to have a Casio WK-3300. I absolutely loved the first demo tune on it. I was wondering if anybody knows what this song is? It's the first one in this YouTube video. Is it something specific to this keyboard? Is there any sort of license to it? If it were public domain or royalty free or something to that effect, that would be absolutely amazing. Regardless I'm very interested in finding out more about it.

Anybody know anything?

Nah, I'll bing it instead.

Joking of course, but yeah Island Dusk by TECH-NOTE INTERNATIONAL LTD? I checked out what I'm guessing is their website technote.com. However, that refers to it as Technote International and not Tech-note. Not sure if there's a difference, but still. The website is for musical instruments. I don't see any references to the actual music.

Hm... This doesn't really answer all my questions about it then.

Bloomberg lists essentially the same address for Tech-Note International as is shown for Technote International, except that they appear to have relocated from Brigade House to Vemon House and dropped the hyphen from their name at some point:

https://www.bloomberg.com/profiles/companies/0238954D:LN-tech-note-international-ltd

http://www.technote.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=165

You can email Technote at:  sales@technote.com     If they are not actually Tech-Note, they would most likely be willing to point you in the right direction. 

I doubt very much that any of those demo songs for the WK-3300/3800/8000 model line are public domain.  If Casio included them under license from Tech-Note, then Tech-Note retains the rights, but if Casio bought full rights from Tech-Note, then Casio now owns them.  In either case, rights owners are not usually wont to give them up without substantial monetary compensation.

In all honesty, I strongly suspect that keyboard demo songs are mostly just a day-to-day, run-of-the-mill, pay-the-bills, activity that are long forgotten by the next production run.  Maybe not by their author(s), but certainly by those who select them, pay for them, and arrange for getting them included in the keyboard's firmware.  To those individuals, they are just another step in the process, and in the case of the WK-3300/3800/8000, we are talking a model line that is some 11 or 12 years old. 

Yeah I understand that, but I would love to be able to get the song at its original quality. I wonder if the only genuine way to get it anymore is to get one of the keyboards with it on it and use it as a MIDI device to play it back through a computer. Considering it being a demo song, I really do wonder if it's got some kind of license.

Edit:

Whelp, I've gone and ordered myself a WK-3300. But if anybody still knows anything about it, I'm still interested.

Demo songs are strictly that, and nothing more.  They are either written by the manufacturer's staff for the specific model that they appear on, or are hired out to a contractor (like Tech-Note), or are selected and purchased from a contractor's stock pool of such tunes.  These things don't come off the Rolling Stone Top 500 list, and the only place you are ever likely to find a particular demo song is on one of the keyboard's that it originally came on, so your purchase of the WK-3300 is most likely your best bet.  Although, anyone with a WK-3300, 3800, or 8000 should have been able to make you an audio copy, but then, that gets into possible copyright infringement, plus it puts you at the mercy of how meticulous the person making the copy is with their audio recording equipment and procedures  At any rate, enjoy the WK-3300 and the tune.

Yeah I get all that, probably nobody cares about it anymore, but I do. Well I'm just a guy who's bored and that keyboard had a lot of memories and I miss it and that particular demo tune. I find it kind of sad that the at the moment they only way to get any information on it would be to plaster it all over the Internet and find out who copyright claims it.

Of course they might not even care. Just a shame to me. I loved this keyboard, and I quite love the sound of techno. Might be nostalgia goggles, but meh.

It usually can be traced to some individual musician who created the tracks to demo a particular instrument. For example at Yamaha UK's forum, several of the original sound designers for the Yamaha SY series are members of that user group, Manny Fernandez for example who created some of the original sounds for the SY77/99 keyboards and the demo tunes used by the commercial sound libraries for these instruments as well as those used by Yamaha.

Since Casio did not have user groups for earlier instruments that I am aware of, there are no resources to find out who these people were but possibly someone who did this work will see this forum and get back to you. You might also drop a post or two to other keyboard forums on the chance one of the musicians who created this demo tune might be a member of for instance the Music Player user group or one of the many Yahoo user groups for other keyboards. I would guess that whoever created this demo might be Japanese since the older Casios were still being manufactured there rather than in China, although I could be wrong there. And often the musicians who do this type of work will jump around to many other companies. Whoever did this Casio demo might also have created demos for Roland or Korg as well. I play an older PX575 which has many similarities to the WK3300 I understand. Ted and I have several posts about these older Casios somewhere around here, as awkward as it is to record, I really enjoy playing the PX575 even when compared to my newer Casios.

Make a MIDI recording of the Demo track....print it out as Sheet music and seek to get it published... then the real composer might come forward to challenge it's publication on copyright grounds !!   However, it could turn out to be an expensive way of finding out because of legal costs .