KEY RELEASE FAULT

Casiokid

In an earlier post I reported that I had experienced an intermittent fault with the MZ-X500 whereby Tones continued to sound after key release  particularly on the E5 Key?   Rick Sterling suggested  I recorded these with the inbuilt Audio Recorder, when they occurred which I did.   In turn my first MZ-X500 was returned for repair/replacement, with the recorded evidence, and a month latter I received a new replacement MZ-X500 under warranty. With no explanation of what fault was found with my first MZ-X500.

I have now had my replacement  MZ-X500 for about four months... and guess what?.... I am experiencing the same intermittent problem yet again with E5 Key Tones still sounding on key release.   I first noticed this fault within two months of ownership and again with the replacement MZ-X500 ....and I class myself as a careful non-heavy fist-ed player with a classical bent.

Repeated pressing the offending E5 key does not resolve the problem  -which obviously cannot be attributed to a doggy key bed switch, BUT WHAT I HAVE DISCOVERED IS THAT WHEN I GO INTO TONE EDIT AND TOUCH KEY RELEASE NOMINALLY SET AT '00' FOR DEFAULT TONES AND RESET IT BACK TO '00' AGAIN, (EVEN MOVING THE KNOB BACK AND FORTH BY ONE DIGIT) THE FAULT DISAPPEARS... until  the next time this annoying intermittent fault occurs which maybe a few weeks/months hence ?   Similarly re-booting the MZ-X500 temporary resolves the fault -as I discovered and reported in my earlier post with my first MZ-X500

What is going on here?

If I am experiencing this same fault on my second MZ-X500 surely other users somewhere must be experiencing the same fault ?

Following my discovery that the fault is related to KEY RELEASE in Tone Edit, perhaps the fault can be resolved by a future Firmware Update ?   Nevertheless CASIO need to look into this fault.

Otherwise the MZ-X500 is a fantastic keyboard I never tire of playing.  -It's just this bug.

I've not experienced this one time and I use the x500 on gigs all the time.  I've even created my own voices with Sample Manager and without faults.  Does the problem happen on certain sounds or does it seem to be any sound and only on the E5 key?

• Like 1

Can you identify any particular tone you have used before the fault appears? Can you do anything that will cause the fault to appear consistently?

Although I have never seen this fault myself, it doesn't mean it is not there. These systems have millions of degrees of freedom, so we might never see the fault that you have found as we never use the instrument in the same way.

I just had a similar fault occur on my MX500. While playing with ACCOMP on there was suddenly a background tone that started. I went through every system parameter I could to see if anything would turn it off. Nada!  Funny thing was that I was not using organ tones, but the artifact does sound 'organ like'. I was able to record a few seconds of the artifact, here it is for your analysis. 

MX500 Fault

16 minutes ago, Tony Boy said:

Hi Guys I am in the UK and have a CTK 7200 keyboard, and was looking at the MZX 300 as an upgrade for the touch screen now not sure after reading your problems

Wouldn't bother me. If this is the only bug I'll see in the MZ-X I'll be thrilled! ;-)  The reboot time for this instrument is measured in seconds. It takes me 12 seconds to cycle the power on the X500.  By the way, there is a LOT more to the X300 upgrade than the LCD touch screen! 

• 2 weeks later...

I too have experienced a similar sort of problem many times while connecting the keyboard with FL studio

it occurs when i change the midi channel while holding down a note(key)

What actually happens here is when we change the channel while holding the note, only the attack is recorded and release will not get recorded as i changed the midi channel.

As a result that note continue to sound even after i have released the key

I could only solve the problem by rebooting the keyboard