Editing PCM tones whilst using the Step Sequencer.

CairnsFella

This question arises from some dabbling I was doing last night. It is possible I am missing something obvious, but I would rather obtain a solution and be considered a tad daft - or if not a solution at least an answer, even if it doesn't solve my problem - than protect my ego and remain ignorant.

Quite simply, whilst using the step sequencer with a sequence running, I was scrolling through various PCM presets in the mixer, in search of something that approaches a tone that I am after. However, although the editable parameters are minimal - a point I expand upon in another recent post - I am wanting to make some edits on the fly in order to get closer to the tone I want.

Obviously, one way or another, I am able to do both processes: explicitly, 1. scroll through the presets, and 2. edit parameters. However, I cannot seem to do this in an efficient way. Unless I am much mistaken, whilst in the mixer, where I am able to easily scroll through the presets whilst the step sequence is running, the control knobs do not seem to be effecting the tone selected. I do not want to be going into and out of menus to achieve what I want to, as it is a lengthy enough process as it is.

Is it possible I have something wrongly configured i.e. should I be able to tweak the PCM Melody tone parameters using the knobs whilst in the mixer with the step sequencer is playing the tone. Or, is there a different place/page that I could/should be using where I can do both of these things in the same place.

Any pointers appreciated.

I should note that I CAN achieve pretty much what I want by playing the part in the phrase sequencer. However, I would obviously prefer to remain within the area that I am actually working. If it comes to it though, I can live with doing it this way.

But in the tone menu I cannot easily increment the tones such that they are reflected by the step sequencer whilst it is playing.

No matter. I have been using the phrase sequencer to audition the tones (where I can also edit as I scroll through). Not ideal, but it works OK.

Appreciate the response though. Thanks.

I haven't checked but I suspect that while you are in the Mixer the knobs will reflect either (a) the assignments the XW gives them in Tone mode for whatever tone is assigned to Part 1 with the knobs only affecting Part 1 or (b) whatever assignments are given to them in the currently active Performance with the knobs affecting those of Parts 1 to 4 as per the settings for each knob in the Performance (there is always a currently active Performance even if you aren't in Performance mode). It may depend on whether you were in Performance or Tone mode before pressing MIXER. All just conjecture as I probably won't have time for a while to check.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlenK said:

I haven't checked but I suspect that while you are in the Mixer the knobs will reflect either (a) the assignments the XW gives them in Tone mode for whatever tone is assigned to Part 1 with the knobs only affecting Part 1 or (b) whatever assignments are given to them in the currently active Performance with the knobs affecting those of Parts 1 to 4 as per the settings for each knob in the Performance (there is always a currently active Performance even if you aren't in Performance mode). It may depend on whether you were in Performance or Tone mode before pressing MIXER. All just conjecture as I probably won't have time for a while to check.

That is correct, the Modes effect what you can alter in the mixer  it can alter step sequence each part of the step sequence ,

in the mix by creating several performance assigning #CC to the knobs and then saving the sequence. 

With the beauty all effects or changes made remained is pretty cool.