FredGarvin

Downstair's neighbour complaint about noise at night when using headphones

Hello fellow musicians,

It finally happened as I have been practicing my piano (AP-650) for over a year at night while using headphones :  the neighbour downstairs complained about the thumping noise (not connected to any foot tapping as I am very cautious about the noise that would generate at night).  My piano is resting two inches away from the wall on a pine wood floor.  Our apartment complex is poorly isolated.  The neighbour's kitchen is standing directly under my piano so the sound carries through the floor structure to the neighbour's downstairs adjacent bedroom.

For now, I am neither looking into moving entirely to another apartment or moving my piano from one room to another as a preferred solution.

I have surfed quite a bit for some solution on the Internet but found nothing conclusive.  I am aware that the ideal final solution should be a mixed and shared one.

For my neighbour : some type of white noise to cover any unwelcomed other low-end noise, ear plugs or... move to another far and distant galaxy!

For me : isolation pads, thick rubber rug, sorbothane, ensolite and eggcrate foams as underlayments, tennis balls, noise reduction headphones to no longer hear her banging on her kitchen ceiling, etc.

Does anyone have a proven solution that they kindly can share?

I need to keep a good and sound relationship with my neighbour.  Yet, I will not stop myself from practicing in the evening as my work days oblige me to do so (as much for lack of time, relax & pleasure time and the need to keep sound mental health habits).

Thank you in advance,
Fred Garvin

Anyone?
I only posted here as our respective AP models come in a cabinet that might trasmit more vibrations to the floor than an X stand for portable units.
Will cross-post hoping to find a solution that might also benefit others.  And I know there is...

I know this cause I'm Fred Garvin... MP
:banana:

Something like this along the floor contact areas of the AP-650 might work while still providing distributed support. Of course, it's not a particularly attractive solution and you'll have to raise your bench by a similar amount: 7/8". (Hopefully your bench is adjustable.)

Interesting AlenK!  My bench is ajustable and at 6'3" tall, I could endure (welcome) a small amount of elevation. But it is mostly the pedals (damper, soft and sustain) elevation that I am worried about being confortable to use without creating new problems (foot or ankle tendonitis).  Perhaps the sexy carpet matt under foot might then become handy (footy).  But so much for the look :(

Definitely worth exploring and for the cost/benefit to provide peace and silence for my neighbour is more than worth the try!

Thank you for your response and suggestion AlenK!!

You might try Brad's carpet idea first using an inexpensive remnant from a discount carpet store. They might even give you a piece for free if you ask nicely. If that is not sufficient for the neighbors then spend the bucks on the isolation pads. If you go for the pads you'll also, as you say, need to elevate the area near the pedals by a similar amount to avoid straining your ankles (I did not think of that!). 

You are not along.
Mechanical noise of Casio's keyboards is a huge problem.

I reported it long time ago.
I have even replaced it with newer models (2 times).
The bottom line other brands are more friendly to home environment.

My Casio sits under the desk and serves only as a sound bank.

I think your neighbor is very unhappy and there is a good reason for that.

The most of noise made when keys are going up.
Try to play without sound. You will understand how noisy it can be.

Casio must fix this issue if they want to keep high reputation.

There is a proven solution - I have purchased Roland FA-08

Sly

I totally love my old WK-3800 workhorse here.  When I had to give up my newer CTK/WK boards, a year or so ago, I made certain I would be able to keep the WK-3800 . . . BUT its clunk clunk clunk when the keys hit bottom just about drives me crazy.  Maybe one of these days, I will open it up and put some heavier felt under the keys, but at the moment, that is beyond my level of patience.  At least I am on a concrete floor, with no neighbors below me to complain.  Imagine my surprise when I dug my 20 some year old WK-1200 out of the back of the closet and racked it up a few weeks ago.  Aside from the fact that its entire voice set is early GM, and its rhythms are rudimentary, at best - its keybed is out of this world - both the feel and the sound.  Sound ?  What sound ?  It is completely silent.  As a matter of fact, the build quality of the keybed in the WK-1200 is well on par with that of the keybed in my Roland XP-80, which is about the same age.  So, what is the difference ?  The older Casio boards were made in Japan while the newer ones are built in China - a world of difference in design, manufacturing, and quality control philosophies.  I am not sure about the newer Roland boards, but the keybeds in my Juno-Gi and Jupiter-50 were every bit as good as that in my XP-80 and G-1000, which are completely top-notch.