Loops, Sequences, and Arpeggios. A couple of questions.

CairnsFella

Hi all,

As I intimated in previous posts, I have now moved on to trying out some of the functions of the XW, that until now, I had only tried superficially.

I should also note that as some (but not all) of these questions are rather potentially common to both XW synths, I have basically copied much of this post in the general discussion section as well, though that post does not contain the G1 specific issues. I hope this is ok.

My final preface is that I have endeavoured to find the answers to these questions in the forums, manuals and other member supplied documentation. I am therefore assuming that what I would like to do cannot be done, but I may as well ask anyway.

So. Most specific to the G1 - Sample Looper.

• Whilst I realise there are no 'options' per se, is there any level of 'sync' applied to sample (looper) playback when, for example. playing alongside a step sequence?

• Is there any other way of triggering the sample looper, other than the 'Start' button on the looper interface?  (see note 1)

By this I mean via multi function key, step sequence, or anything else. As far as I can see it isn't possible.

Arpeggio 'recording'.

• Whilst I am able to record an arpeggio to the sample looper, I cannot 'record' it to a phrase or step sequence (each recording the primary keystroke only). Whilst I am stating this as if fact, I would like to know if either of these are perhaps possible and I am missing something. (Note 2)

Arpeggios in step sequences.

• As per the sample looper, is there any way of "triggering' an arpeggio in an automated fashion, rather than playing the keys directly. For example, via the step sequencer. The one thing I have not tried is assigning the note progression to a track pointing to to the primary part / zone with the arpeggio linked to the performance, which I guess may work BUT I had already allocated this to other song parts that I would be playing at the time. Whilst I realise I can trigger phrases via the step sequencer or multi function keys, as noted above, I cannot record the arpeggio to a phrase. 

Note 1. Just prior to posting, I realised that I can (probably) assign the sample loop as a sample to a keyboard part, and then trigger this via the step sequencer. In many respects this would be a more appropriate route, as the use of the looper as implied by my question is not what I would assume the most apt use of the looper anyway (as discussed a little further below). However, I would still be grateful to know if there is any affirmative responses to the original question.

Note 2. I am not at home with my keyboard at the current time so I cannot double check everything, however as I believe the arpeggiator does send midi (As stated elsewhere on the forum) I realise that I could establish the arpeggio sequence externally and program it in as a sequence (It is a 'variation type' arpeggio that I am using, so I can't save it as a user arpeggio and look at the pattern that way). Despite this being another possible solution I, once again, would still like to clarify my original question in this regard.

And just a little side ramble re: Sample Looper. As I note above, I had tried to use the sample looper as a way of resolving an issue I have (Not an issue with the XW, just an issue with what I want to achieve). However, I got to thinking how I might otherwise use the looper. I mean I have several guitar pedals (and a vocal pedal) with short loopers, and so I realise what such things are usually used for. However part of me thinks that the nature of the instrument doesnt lend itself to looping in the same way that a guitar does. Of course this is probably due to the fact that I am much closer to being a guitar player than a keyboard player. Nonetheless, I am intrigued to find out if anyone uses the looper in any serious or practical way (whether it be similar to a guitarists use, or via any other approach). I ask this with half an eye on my 'note 1' above, which says to me that in many situations, a keyboard assigned sample may be a more practical approach. Of course, this is no use for live overdubs, but then that is why I am asking how people use the looper.

OK. Thanks for your time. And any answers / clarifications appreciated.

Unfortunately, I know of no way to trigger the arpeggiator other than by actually playing keys on the keyboard. And indeed, the phrase recorder will not record an arpeggio, only the keys you hold down to generate it. On the upside it is possible to arpeggiate phrases. You can get some really weird and wonderful things to happen when you combine arpeggios and phrases in this way.