Video Files on Forum ×

PX-350M Change Sounds During DAW MIDI Playback

INSUB

I'm no newb to DAWs or MIDI, but I just can't seem to figure this out.

Windows 10 x64, REAPER, MOTU 828 mkII, PX-350M USB MIDI

I can record the Audio (via MOTU interface) and MIDI (via Casio USB), no problem. But, when I set the MIDI track to output back to the 350 all I can get it to play is an organ patch. I recorded while playing... NOT that patch, and I can't seem to get it to play any other patch during playback. Changing sound selection on the 350 has no effect. Changing MIDI Channels has no effect.

Please, tell me there's a way to cycle through sounds as the tone generator is being driven by incoming USB MIDI from a DAW.

I assume the problem is something simple that I've overlooked. Like that Local is turned on or that I'm in the wrong mode.

Thanks for reading!

If you aren't already, you may need to manually program each track with the correct program change at the beginning of each track. In my experience, my PX350 does not retain the program change message internally in its 17-track sequencer, so a multitrack sequence or midi file must have program change messages in software,  it gets more complicated if you want to play back any Casio sounds beyond the default GM soundset-the better pianos for example are not part of the GM sound set so you need to also manually set bank change messages on each track if you are trying to access sounds beyond the GM bank select numbers. I have a bunch of posts here about the pitfalls of using the PX350 with (or without!) a DAW. Also remember to remove the thumb drive if you are having trouble getting the PX350 to send or receive midi. Mine does strange things if I leave it in, or mounted when trying to connect to a computer or other gear. Hope I'm helping. And yes, local control needs to be off or software midi through, otherwise you will get a midi loop or double notes, or something terrible will happen, like another glacier in Antartica will fall apart (well maybe not) :P

Thanks, a lot, Jman. I've seen some other posts of yours. In fact, I almost resurrected a thread that was seemingly the exact same topic back in 2015 that you were helping a lot on. But, when it got to the root of that thread's OP's problem they wanted something different altogether. 

Sounds like maybe I'm not missing anything. I just wanted to audition other patches with my existing midi performance because I'm tracking all the rest of the band too. Rather than me asking the whole band, "hey, can you guys all play that same passage 20 times while I check out all the piano and EP patches to see which I like best?" 

I bought this 350 because it's easy to practice at home with, has weighted keys, and is super light for gigging out. I was using a Motif ES8, but it weighed nearly 80 lbs and was about 100 lbs in the case. 

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. If I can't audition sounds while playing back midi I may have to consider switching to virtual instrument. I really don't want to have to gig with a computer too. I already have enough gear to pack, setup, and hope works as it is. 

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone... noobie here (just got my PX-350 a couple of days ago).  Like many folks here, I want to use it with my DAW (in my case, Cakewalk / Sonar) and have the DAW be able to select and use the non-GM sounds.  After some research and experiments, I found the that key to getting the bank/patch select to work was to multiply the bank number in the manual by 128 (e.g., Bank 48 = Bank 6144, etc.).  I've attached a a working .ins file for Cakewalk and Sonar users; other DAWs  should have similar implementations.

Hopefully this can help others get started with this great instrument.

PX-350a.ins

• Like 1