Video Files on Forum ×

CGP-700 Recording

JayBird707

I'm helping my piano teacher make some recordings on my CGP-700.  With the help of some postings here I've figured out how to do multi-track MIDI recordings and edit them with the mixer.  So she was very happy with the first CD I created for her.  Now she has thrown me for a loop.  She wants to record voice on some songs.  It appears that the audio in jack is only good for playback to the built in speakers or headphones and there is no way to get it into the MIDI Recorder..  Am I correct on this?  Is there any way to connect a microphone and get in on another track?

Typical of most (ALL ?) Casio keyboards equipped with an "Audio In" connection, signals applied to that connection can not be recorded with that keyboard's USB Audio Recorder.  See the "NOTE" in the right hand column of Page EN-9 of the CGP-700 manual.  Casio seems to prefer this design in order to avoid litigation for complicity in the piracy of copyrighted materials.  So, voice recording would have to be done with computer/DAW-software or a stand-alone audio recorder (Tascam, Fostex, etc).  It might be possible to connect a "dynamic" mic to the CGP-700's Audio In with a mono-to-stereo adapter and use the keyboard as a sort of "mixer" to mix the voice signal with the keyboard's output and send them to a computer/DAW or stand-alone recorder, but the level and impedance of the Audio In would not match those of the microphone, so the recorded voice quality might suffer.  The "proper" connections would require a Mic/Stereo-Line or straight 3/4 channel mixer.  It's too bad the CGP-700 does not have a MIC IN connection like some of the CTK/WK models.

Thanks for the advice.  I kind of knew I hit a brick wall.  I'm going to use the built in MIDI Mixer to lay down the music and then move to my computer.  I'm a Linux Mint User and installed Ardour and will have the singer wear headphones and record into the computer.  Just need to find a decent mic with a 3.5mm connection to use with my computer. 

Thanks! I think I know a DJ guy that may have a mic to lend me and I'll go down to the music store and buy an adapter. Thanks a million! Hmm, maybe you know of a decent mic that is not too expensive that I could buy? The folks on this forum are great. I'm really a rookie to all this but with forum help my piano teacher thinks I'm a recording engineer. She's real 'old school' and I had a problem negotiating lessons with her initially because I didn't have an acoustical piano.  She's loving my Casio now that I know how to make multi track recordings and turn out CD's.

Hey there. Your best bet is to get a small audio mixer and a dynamic mic with cable. This can be done as low as $60-$70, but with mics you get what you pay for. I like the Shure line of classic mics (SM58, etc).  Keep at it! Knowing how to connect, record and amplify all of this is an important skill and has landed me gigs over more skilled players. 

• 2 months later...

DAW and any mic.

as test you can use the one built in your laptop :0)

Or get a USB dynamic mic.

Or get a condenser mic with separate Audio interface (like Behringer UM2 2x2 Interface).

Or rent a recording studio

there are a lot of different options. 

For sure only one thing - You do need a microphone.