Privia Px-860 No Sound From Speakers, Only Headphones

Go to solution Solved by Pianosaur,

Hi guys, I own a Px-860 which I purchased 2 years ago, and when I went to turn it on a couple of days ago, there was no sound emanating from the speakers. I find it very weird because when I plug in the headphones there is sound on the headphones..

I haven't done anything different to the piano. The only thing I could think of is that I had not turn on the piano for about 2 weeks, but it was fine back then.

What I have done to fix the problem is disconnect the power supply for a whole day and it didn't work. Then I restored the piano to factory default settings and it didn't work either.

I don't know what else to do because everything else works as it should except the speakers, or am I missing something in the settings? Please help. Thanks.

Are your headphones equipped with an 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter on the end of the cord?  If they are, and you unplug only the 1/8 inch connection, leaving the 1/4 inch adapter in the phones jack, the presence of the 1/4 inch adapter in the phones jack will keep the speakers cut off.  You must remove the entire phones connection, including the adapter.

• Solution

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome and suggestions. And yes I bought it brand new at Sam Ash.

Absolutely, I always remove the headphones adapter if I want to play using the piano speakers.

I managed to fix the problem though and here is what I did to fix it:

1. I inserted a dry toothpick inside the headphone jack and moved it around in circles and towards the middle to remove particles if any.

2. I dipped a new clean toothpick in isopropyl alcohol and did the same thing I did in step one. Just move the toothpick around.

3. I took a Q-tip/cotton swab and inserted the alcohol wet Q-tip inside the jack until you can't push it in no more. Just in case, do not move the Q-tip in circles, you don't want it to get cought in something and have fibers coming off.

4. I took another Q-tip dipped it in alcohol and rubbed it on the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter of the headphones and inserted the headphones into the jack while it was still wet and just removed it and put it back in a couple of times.

I hope this can help someone in the future if they encounter the same problem.

• Like 4

I'm glad this simple solution worked in the end, but I'm just wondering how can I prevent this from happening again. This made me want to buy some external speakers. Can anyone give me a few suggestions please? I know there are really expensive ones, but the most I'm willing to spend is 200$.

Let me change the title so that I can make it more accurate.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to comment on an old thread, but you sir are my hero. I had the exact same issue, didn't play it for 2 weeks, powered it up, no sound from speakers but headphones worked. Found this thread via google and tried the Q-tips/alcohol and it solved the problem!

I created an account on this forum just so I could thank you, until I found this thread I was thinking of how much of a hassle it's going to be to pack it and ship it back for repair, but a bunch of Q-tips did it. Thank you again.

32 minutes ago, WaleedEssam said:

Sorry to comment on an old thread, but you sir are my hero. I had the exact same issue, didn't play it for 2 weeks, powered it up, no sound from speakers but headphones worked. Found this thread via google and tried the Q-tips/alcohol and it solved the problem!

I created an account on this forum just so I could thank you, until I found this thread I was thinking of how much of a hassle it's going to be to pack it and ship it back for repair, but a bunch of Q-tips did it. Thank you again.

Glad it worked out for you!  Welcome to the forum!  

14 minutes ago, BradMZ said:

Glad it worked out for you!  Welcome to the forum!  

Thanks, I'm sticking around for sure. I just got my first piano - a PX860 - a couple of months ago to try learning a new instrument after playing guitar for 19 years now, and this forum has a lot of excellent information to get the most out of, for a newbe like me . Have a great weekend.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kudos - this worked for me too!

I took a cotton swab/Q-Tip and dipped it into a little ISO-propyl rubbing alcohol and gently inserted the damp tip into each of the headphone jacks. For each jack, I inserted and removed the damp swab a few times inserting only till it bumped against something inside.

BTW I googled casio px-860 no audio and this thread came up as first link.

Many thanks Pianosaur!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 10:05 PM, Pianosaur said:

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome and suggestions. And yes I bought it brand new at Sam Ash.

Absolutely, I always remove the headphones adapter if I want to play using the piano speakers.

1. I inserted a dry toothpick inside the headphone jack and moved it around in circles and towards the middle to remove particles if any.

2. I dipped a new clean toothpick in isopropyl alcohol and did the same thing I did in step one. Just move the toothpick around.

3. I took a Q-tip/cotton swab and inserted the alcohol wet Q-tip inside the jack until you can't push it in no more. Just in case, do not move the Q-tip in circles, you don't want it to get cought in something and have fibers coming off.

4. I took another Q-tip dipped it in alcohol and rubbed it on the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter of the headphones and inserted the headphones into the jack while it was still wet and just removed it and put it back in a couple of times.

Thanks..,just did this with methylated spirit and it worked!!!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/25/2017 at 12:05 PM, Pianosaur said:

2. ...

Step 1 was all I needed to do, thank you very much!  I'm surprised that it was fouled, it's not like I've been sticking dirty plugs into it.

Having a piano exam tomorrow, I was almost ready to panic.  Now, back to practice!

Thanks 10**9!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/25/2017 at 9:05 PM, Pianosaur said:

Thanks man i created an account to thank you saved my Piano from being silent for one month ! so thank you it worked

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/25/2017 at 3:05 PM, Pianosaur said:

Omg I’m so so thankful for this! Mine just had this problem start after I’ve had it for less than a year and I didn’t think anyone would have a solution!!! I am also thinking of buying external speakers just in case this problem comes up again in the future! Thank you so much to my music loving community!!! 

-from a very tired music major

• 3 months later...

I the same problem with my Casio AP470. Sound only from the headphones. So I solved the problem as recommended earlier in this thread.

That worked just fine BUT it only works until I insert the headphone jack. So I insert the toothpick again. Problem solved! Its inconvenient and I wonder what is happening