Video Files on Forum ×

Help with MIDI for lk280

Dalandra

Hello, 

I bought the Casio LK280, I would like all the keys from the keyboard to light up, but until now not all the keys do so... and I tried to adjust the MIDI file, with changing channels to 3 and 4, but something went wrong.

Does anyone have an idea what to do to make all the keys light up?

Any help is appreciated, I am looking forward to learn to play this song (see the attachment). This is the version I didn't adjust.

Thanks!

1_SHES_LIKE_THE_WIND.mid

Not sure what you mean by having "all the keys light up".  If you mean you want all 61 keys to light up at the same time, none of the "LK" keyboards can do that.  If you mean you want the keys for the accompaniment notes to light up as well as the keys you play, there again, none of the "LK" units can do that.  The only keys that will light during "live" play are those that you play yourself.  The only keys that will light, when you play the internal songs are those that you WOULD be playing, if you were playing the song in "live" play.  The LK-280 also allows you to assign any two adjacent channels (01-16) as Navigate Channels.  The higher numbered Navigate Channel would normally handle the right hand notes and the lower the left hand notes.  You only assign the higher (right hand) channel, and the keyboard automatically assigns the adjacent lower channel as the left hand channel.  When you play a MIDI song, only notes on the assigned Navigate Channels will light the keys, and even at that, the LK-280 can only light 10 keys maximum at a time.  Having all incoming notes or all notes in a demo or internal song lighting all the keys would be confusing, and would make the "learning" features completely useless, but if you want to learn the various parts of a MIDI song you can keep reassigning the Navigate Channels and "learn" all the parts one at a time (The LK-280 allows you to "turn off" either one of the Navigate Channels, so that only one lights its associated keys.).  The LK unit I have is not as sophisticated as the LK-280, and only allows one Navigate Channel for just the right hand that is fixed at Channel 1, so I do not know if my "reassign" suggestion will work for the LK-280's demo/internal songs, but it should work for songs "played" to the LK-280 from an external or computer based sequencer or MIDI file player.

Hello, thank you for your reply. What I meant was that the song doesn't light all the keys that you hear in the MIDI file. The MIDI file is piano only but has three channels. I would like all the channels to light up on the LK 280 so I can play the whole song. Do you perhaps have an idea? Thanks in advance.

You can only assign two adjacent channels at a time as the Navigate Channels to light the keys.  That is a design limitation of the LK-280.  In the MIDI file you posted above, Tracks 1 and 2 are the right and left hand parts, and Track 6 is a bass part.  If the key-lighting is correct for Tracks 1 and 2, you are all set for them, but if the lighting seems to be switched around, then you need to use your sequencer sortware to swap the data for those two tracks, or swap the MIDI Channels that those two tracks transmit on, so the the left hand part is on the lower channel.  Once that is done, you need to merge the Track 6 data with the data in the left hand track, or just set Track 6 to transmist on the same channel as the left hand Navigate track.

OK Dalandra !

Glad you got it all sorted.  I apologize if any of my "edits in progress" confused you, as I mistakenly thought you were talking "in general" about the LK-280's built-in songs.  There is not much you can do about those.  They are pretty much "what you get is what you get", but I realized very late in this discussion that you were talking either primarily or exclusively about the MIDI file you had originally posted.  Once I realized that, things began to fall into place, and hopefully, my "edits in progress" began to make more sense.  Normally, I do these things in the wee hours of the morning, so unless you are a night owl, like me, you will never see the two or three or four "takes" I do to get a reply "mostly" (?) right.