Video Files on Forum ×

How can I switch between sounds in the stage area?

Orest

Hi there! 

I bought the PX-5s a while ago and I'm a bit confused about going from one sound to another in the stage are (to the right of the keyboard). 

Say that I'm in bank 0 and I want to go from sound 0-1 (a piano sound) to sound 0-6 (an organ sound). When I'm playing 0-1 and press number 6 the piano sound just stops abruptly (totally dies) and I have to release the keys press them down again to get the organ sound. I want it to be a seamless transition between 0-1 and 0-6 like in the zone area. And, sometimes when I go from the organ sound to the piano sound the sustain pedal (without having used the sustain pedal) hangs (the pedal is not pressed down but the piano sound behaves like it's pressed down. 

This will be a big problem for me when playing live. Any ideas are gratefully appreciated! 

Couldn't find anything about it in the manual. The keyboard is 3 weeks old (new I would say) with the latest firmware installed. 

Ok.  Let's see.  Stage settings are performance setups for the entire keyboard which includes up to 4 zones of sounds, effects settings, volume levels, tone edits, tone selection, zone ranges, what the pedals/knobs/wheels/sliders do and much more.  It's best not to think of stage settings as sounds. Each one may have entirely different programming for mixer levels and such so this can cause things to sound jumpy or choopy when switching between stage settings. 

Typically for transitions, you'll want to customize stage settings in order to fit as much as possible into a single setup for each continuous performance. You'll want to be switching zones to switch sounds, rather than stage settings.  If you need more than one stage setting and need them to transistion smoothly, you'll want to make sure they are setup to do that.  There are some things to be mindful of when creating stage settings for switching.  

Hex layer tones: They are the only tone type that will not continue to sound when switching to another tone. Switching away from a hex tone will cause notes to stop sounding. This is unavoidable. 

Melody tones will sustain thru a tone change and should be used anytime you need a smooth transition. 

You'll also want to make sure mixer levels don't change between stage settings in order to assure sustained notes remain consistant.  A good thing to do is create one stage setting, save that, then re-edit the same stage setting to make another one, saving to another location. This will help you copy most settings so they'll transistion smoothly. 

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, I have figured out that the HEX layers in the stage area are pretty advanced. 

What I'm looking for is a way to switch seamlessly between a piano with a pad/strings and a clean hammond organ sound. I can't figure out how to do that. 

If I'm switching between the sounds in the zone area the layer (strings/pad) is turned on on all the sounds (I'm gettings the strings/pad on the organ sound as well). 

The manual is not that great, is there a better one online where I can read specifically about this? 

Check out http://sc3900.wixsite.com/px-5s .  The instructional videos linked there are really helpful. Each video has an index so you can find topics easier.  

I would put your pad and piano in two zones and the organ in a third.  Program 3 sliders to control zone on/off so you can change sounds by switching zones. You'll find help in the videos for programming all of this.  

Will check that out. 

But, killing 2 sliders and activate a third one in a millisecond will be kinda difficult in a live situation (guess you must kill the piano slide, the pad slide and activate the organ slide and do it the other way around?)

You could control the volume of both the piano and strings zones together on one slider, and the volume of the organ on the next slider along (but with the 'high' and 'low' levels reversed), so that when you pull both sliders down the piano and strings fade out and the organ fades up?