PX-3 won't reinitialize or remember registries

Malorufa

My PX-3 that I've had for some time now longer remembers registries after it's turned off. Also, it won't reinitialize. It just hangs on the "PLEASE WAIT....." Screen. Like, all night long. Is there a battery powered memory in this that needs to be replaced? If so where would it be located? Seems to be memory related. I've had success working on my own boards for 30+ years and have had this disassembled to replace the sensors. The memory problem was pre-existing so I know that it wasn't related to my work on the keyboard. Can't really use it as a controller any more this way.

I've definitely considered replacing it. Lol. Several options available. (Px5s, MX88, Juno ds88, Kawai es110) I'm using it now for a rehearsal board and as a controller for a 61 key Kronos. I'd rather repair it than replace it. Concerned more with the action than the sound. May not be worth the cost of repair.

I think the lithium battery died. I wish I could get a schematic so I could find where the battery is located. I'm gonna have to take it apart and find the battery. I'll post again when I find it. Probably on one of the circuit boards underneath the display. Got one more slightly less than perfect sensor to replace anyway.....thanks for the suggestions

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, guys, I am having the exact same issue with my PX-3 not saving anything -- registrations, bank names, etc. and doing a factory reset produces and infinite "Please Wait" message. 

I'm handy with keyboard repairs and opened mine up looking for an internal battery but found nothing on any of the circuit boards. 

Has anyone resolved this issue? Thanks. 

Took mine apart and ordered a schematic. It apparently doesn't have a battery powered memory. It has a flash chip on the main board. Which I think means new mother board. Unless you can track down the same chip, see if it has been prioritized by Casio, if it hasn't been, pull it from the mother board without wrecking said motherboard, and replacing it. I think a new motherboard is a little under $300. In my world that's an S.O.L situation. I could be mistake but I'm about 98% sure.

I looked at the main circuit board for something that resembled memory but didn't immediately identify anything. I suppose it could look like an op amp. If you figure out what the component is and where on the board it is, could you let us know? Almost all circuit board parts are sourced from third party vendors so it's likely it is available somewhere. I don't mind soldering small components either. I'd be more worried that the board might lose all of its tones and have to be reinstalled somehow. 

I forgot to add. Tonight I figured out a workaround: Use an SD card. Once it is formatted, create a new registration and save it to a registration bank. Then before you turn off the piano, follow the steps in the manual for saving the bank (or all of the banks) to the SD card. It's a quick and painless process. I then turned off the PX3 and turned it back on. I had to load the bank I had just saved from the SD card but that was quick and my registration was right where I stored it. Cool. Next, I have to test this out after I create multiple registrations to see if all of them will save  and load in the same way as the one test case did. 

• Like 2