Microphone Volume

Jazzman

7 minutes ago, BradMZ said:

A ZAL file does not affect factory data. If you have a brand new, untouched, MZX, that file will only add new data to user memory.  The caution we put out is for users who may have already saved some of their own tones, registrations, rhythms, pad sets, samples, phrases, or recorded midi recordings.  If you have any of that work and want to back it up, you can also save all of it as a ZAL file using the media>save>all data function.  This is a practice I reccomend all owners do occasionally just for backup purposes.  If anything should happen, like loading Ralph's ZAL file, you'll have your own ZAL file to restore your own work.

Thanks Brad. That's what I meant to say. My "everything" meant all user data. ;-)

Hi Rick,

Of course you realize that the MZ-X500 doesn't work directly with a TRS mic plug such as the output of the Berlinger mixer??

I presently have a Yamaha mixer that I use when I play with another person but I'm trying to find a way to have an acceptable minimum setup for solo performances.  If I connect the Shure SM-58 via the preamp of the mixer it works great.  It also works OK when connected via a vocal processor.  I'm now awaiting specs on the Berlinger XM8500 mic used by Ralph Marten which advertises "high output". For $20 USD I may just get one to try it out but I'm skeptical that it will work without a preamp.  There must be something in the path of Ralph's setup that changes the color of the mic cable :-)

if I want to try Ralph's settings via his ".zal" file, how can I clone his mic settings and use them with the "zal" backup of my own performances?

I very much appreciate your help.

• 5 years later...

Buongiorno a tutti, non abbiamo più informazioni circa il microfono behringer xm8500 o simili? 

Come avete risolto la mancanza di potenza dei vari microfoni professionali? io ho provato solo microfoni marca sennheiser perché ho solo quelli, ma sono molto deboli e il suono non ha acuti. 

Grazie

Nobody here hit on the most important aspect to the mics you are using-Shure made 2 versions of many of their vocal and other mics-low impedance and high impedance, so did EV and other brands. You need an impedance-matching transformer to make a low impedance mic work with a high impedance input-like the MZ, and most other keyboards. There is one post here that describes the difference. Low impedance mics were typical for most PA systems which had low impedance inputs-again most TRS and professional 3-prong XLR inputs are low impedance, this was standard with much studio equipment for a long time. Most 1/4" inputs-although not always. are high impedance. The thinking is that the 3-prong XLR and TRS inputs are less prone to external interference-will have grounding built-in to shield from stray RFI. Now if you are using an intermediary connection-like  the vocal processor mentioned here-you need to know-are its inputs high impedance or low? If it is high impedance-it will not solve your problem if your low-impedance Shures are in use. And unless you have a mixing board/digital recorder-even one of the smaller ones-the mic inputs must be able to impedance match a low impedance mic. Some of my digitals do, some don't. I remember buying my first set of vocalmaster Shures years ago, some had a switch that would change the mic from low to high impedance, I don't see those around anymore. Any cheap "USB" Chinese mic flooding ebay lately-will be high impedance. and of course, without 48+ phantom power-a true condenser will not work at all. although some of the cheap chines mics advertised as "condenser" may be using a similar element but....not talking Neumanns here. Most decent digital recorders have phantom power-so this could solve your MZ mic problems, providing there are "line outputs" RCA connectors which will be high impedance out-but you would need an audio adapter cable to take the RCA outs to the 1/4" in. and if the outs are !/4" on your mixer or recorder, I think these should be high impedance also. Some are, some aren't have to look at spec sheets.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

This is my setup to get loud, clear and good presence voice sounds with the MZX;  even overpowered I'd said because the mic volumen (little knob) is set far below its middle point.  

I'm using the effects of the MZ-X500 (Reverb, chorus, delay) for the External input as provided in the mixer of the keyboard. And additional equalizer as DSP2

Relatively cheap solution and this simple setup gives me flexibility for use condenser or dynamic mics. Its Good sounding for practicing with the onboard speakers, or excellent connected via LNE OUT of the MZX to my Hifi Stereo at home.

ITEMS:

Phantom Power (additonal It Serves as USB power source for usb-powered pedals or effects !): 

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/alimentación-adaptador-capacidad-condensador-dispositivo/dp/B07W53324Y/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_US=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=32QAH87C332VR&keywords=monkey+phantom+power&qid=1673543740&sprefix=monkey+phantom+power%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-1

In-line preamp for dynamic mics (Its small, and can be added anywhere in  the audio chain!):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FetHead--triton-audio-fethead-in-line-microphone-preamp 

My Mics:

Condenser:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VX5mic--audix-vx5-handheld-condenser-microphone

Dynamic:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V7Switch--se-electronics-v7-switch-supercardioid-dynamic-handheld-vocal-microphone

Hope it helps , Regards!

For Mics.JPG