2017 REVIEW OF CASIO PX5S

brownysweet

This is my review of Casio PX5S  after 2 years of playing and editing its sounds. The only word that can define this divine musical instrument is SUBLIME.  When I purchased it I was impressed by the sounds and the editing capabilities.  Then I started downloading more sounds from the site and the new sounds file that Mr. Martin provided. A new musical journey started at that moment. I learned the ins and outs of this instrument and the results were amazing. I had a Korg Krome that I had tweaked for more than three years thinking that it would deliver what I wanted. I began to have big doubts when I composed the same songs on my beloved Casio PX5S and compared it to the Korg  side by side. The Korg sounded like a toy next to this Casio PX5S !!!  I beg Mr. Martin to give us the Casio PX7S with the same features but on steroids. Please Casio Corporation, you have a lollapalooza of an instrument here, a dilly. Make its bigger brother , the PX7S to make us happy for all eternity!!!

• Like 1

I agree - I bought it mainly as a good value piano a few years ago and didn't dig much deeper until I was working on a project which needed a lot of splits, layers and tonal options, and the px5s has been excellent - a future cult classic I reckon. I really hope they don't reduce the flexibility in any future revision as I think it is this which really makes the difference. An mzx500 without speakers but with the px5s's keyboard, knobs & sliders and weight would be a near perfect single board solution for me

Hi, Scott. Any hope for a CASIO PX7S ?  The Px5s is almost perfect, but I have been dreaming about a PX7S with more sounds, expression pedal capabilities, full drawbars for organs, leslie sim incorporated and the ability to layer 24 sounds at the same time and of course a sequencer.  I hope Mr. Martin listens to Casio fans like me and comes up with the ultimate keyboard from Casio. I would be so happy !

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 9:18 AM, brownysweet said:

Hi, Scott. Any hope for a CASIO PX7S ?  The Px5s is almost perfect, but I have been dreaming about a PX7S with more sounds, expression pedal capabilities, full drawbars for organs, leslie sim incorporated and the ability to layer 24 sounds at the same time and of course a sequencer.  I hope Mr. Martin listens to Casio fans like me and comes up with the ultimate keyboard from Casio. I would be so happy !

Casio doesn't leak any info on new boards. We've even tried bribing Mike with new camera gear, but his lips are sealed. :-)

That being said, and I have no specific (or any other type of) knowledge on this, but  I would be very surprised if there isn't another flagship stage piano in the works - just as every company keeps developing their next product, be it a keyboard, a car, an iPhone. You get it. 

Casio reps read this page as well as all the other forums and Facebook Groups and take users feedback and suggestions very seriously. The PX-560 is testament to this fact: They included many things people wanted in the PX-5S (exp. pedal input,  touchscreen, transpose buttons, speakers). While not quite the next gen PX-5S, it's a big step toward what we may see if they indeed make another Privia Pro. 

So that's the "if" part -- as for the when... Who knows? Could be this winter, could be 2  or 3 years... But the longer it's in the lab the better it is for us. :-)

Oh yeah, it won't be the PX-7S -- they already have a PX-7.  So let's see - but don't hold your breath! These things take time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott Hamlin said:

Casio doesn't leak any info on new boards. We've even tried bribing Mike with new camera gear, but his lips are sealed. :-)

He has been known to be bribable* with cookies. But they have to be REALLY good. :D  

*He was providing a private demo for someone who lived close by and it was well after the product announcement at winter NAMM that year (2012).