Video Files on Forum ×

Hex Layer tone

Casiofun

If you mean the decay time of "held" acoustic sounds, my opinion is that most of them are pretty good. I feel the decay time of the acoustic piano sounds is somewhat shorter than I would like but they are usable and I generally add a subdued clav or string to "spread them out".  The pianos are much better than in the earlier privia series of boards but there is definitely room for improvement.

Our ears are accustomed to studio recording processes like dynamic range compression, which reduces attack level, allowing the average volume to be increased without causing audible distortion.  Casio uses less dynamic range compression compared to some others and the master compressor is off by default.  This allows a more dynamic sound with strong attack.  If you want a more compressed sound, MZX series has the master compressor that can be enabled.  Doing that gives the impression of longer decays because it entices the user to raise the main volume, which raises the decay level.  Another thing that alters perception is reducing the velocity sensitivity of the tone. Really an entire class can be held on the subject of perception.  I would love to attend that class.  😁