Best way to Record a 4 Bar vamp w/ internal drums, bass, keys?

moontom

I just lost an hour trying to get tracks to line up in the A-to-B points of the MIDI recorder. not easy. I'm wondering what the best way to capture a quick vamp idea might be on the MX x500.

here's what I want to have:

an internal drum pattern

one percussion pad

bass

keyboard

I'd like to do bass and keyboard separately. (otherwise I'd use the Audio recorder).

if anyone could walk me through the steps, I'd be grateful.

thanks!
TM

Thanks Brad....was not doing that. now I'm trying to find out how to import a rhythm into pattern sequencer! incredibly, the only online tutorial for that feature is from Casio Indonesia. (!)

I'm probably being dense but it seems to me this should not be so complicated!

thanks

TM

thanks Brad, sure enough I got going....

only to encounter another problem: I managed to get drums/bass and keys down, and then while I was searching for a voice 3 part suddenly the loop I'd built disappeared, only kept the drums. is this a processor problem with my board or did I need to save after every overdub in the pattern?

thanks

was trying to do w/o turning on Auto Accomp and muting/eventually replacing the individual parts. (oddly, the auto-accomp parts sound even w/o engaging the Auto Accomp button).

my guess is you have to save each part as you go. (of course I'd gone "outside" of Pattern Sequencer to look for a sound, and that might have erased my efforts...I now realize I can change/select sounds from the Mixer).

the manual is pretty laughable on this, and for that matter on all the sequencing functions. I know Casio has lots of products/features, but it would sure be nice to have a quick start tutorial on this stuff. sure, much of the board navigation is easy but there are a few tricky things and the documentation on those is sketchy at best. very grateful for this forum. 

after trying what I think are all the on-board options, here are a few of my frustrations:

using Pattern Seq (as I said above), you have to work around the Auto Accomp and (I guess) save/store each time you add to the loop.

using the regular MIDI recorder, it is very difficult to nail the timing of A B start points to create a loop. there are hiccups and hestitations almost every time -- not seamless a la w/ a looper. also the preparations for recording via this method are a bit cumbersome...esp for just a four-bar thing.

using Pad Record, I could not keep a drum pattern going for reference while recording short phrases. I understand that's why there's the Chord Input option, but I'm often looking for just a sketchpad solution and don't want to stop and input stuff.

happily the Audio Recorder works great! guess I'll start there and then either work w/ computer or a loop pedal as a sketchpad. it's a shame it can't be all internal since the board has much of what's needed.

of course it's entirely possible I am still not getting the quick way to do this...please share if so.

thanks

I would like see and hear what you are doing.  Could you make a youtube video?  As far as manuals, there is a deeper "tutorial" manual online but it's more of a reference type book rather than a true tutorial despite it's name.  http://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualfile.php?cid=008010003

I'm guessing what you are looking for is an overdubing audio looper, a recorder that lets you change tones on the keyboard live during the recording process, a process the MZX can not really replicate. The sequencers are "track-at-time" recorders on the MZX series.  The pattern sequencer can overdub one track but cannot change to another track without stopping recording.  Different tracks are required to record diffferent tones.  

thanks again Brad....I do have the tutorial manual as well.

I'll try to make a video but I'm not set up for it (cramped space etc). basically I'm using the main 16 track MIDI sequencer and there the issue is with loop points and also having it remember sounds assigned to the individual parts. not trying to change on the fly, tho that would be great.

20 hours ago, BradMZ said:

As far as saving sounds for parts in the midi recorder, you'll go to the mixer and use port C to select tones then hold the registration store button while pressing the midi recorder button. You'll see a confirm message.

I missed this one too Brad! I'm sure I read the firmware release PDF, but apparently without comprehension! ;-)