WK-3000 no rhythm on song creation

FrankG

Hello!

I am trying to write a song by the "step recording' function and for some reason when the song is played back there is no rhythm (??) The rhythm function works fine on its own, but when I select it for a song, no rhythm on song playback. Following the manual on page 65:

"To Record Chords With Step Recording"

-----> 2 Make the following settings

Rhythm number

Mode Button

Chord plays, no problem, just no rhythm

am i missing something?

Thanks! FrankG

Frank

The Step Record procedure on your WK-3000 is the same as on my WK-3800.  There are several things that could be causing your problem.  I will start with the most likely one first:

If you want to record the rhythm pattern and drums instead of just static chords, then once you go into Step Record Standby, but before you make your first chord, YOU MUST PRESS THE SYNCHRO/FILL-IN NEXT BUTTON.  Otherwise, you never record the SYNCHRO trigger that starts the rhythm pattern engine, so all you get is static chords.  This is the same as in real-time play.  If you make a chord without pressing the SYNCHRO button, all you get is a static chord, but in real-time play you can also press the START/STOP button to start the rhythm running before you make your first chord.  You can not do that in STEP RECORD, as pressing the START/STOP button terminates the recording process, so you have to use the SYNCHRO button to kick start the Rhythm pattern on playback.  The SONG MEMORY records everything you do OR DO NOT DO, just the same as though you are in real-time play mode.

The Auto-Accompaniment and Drum Rhythm parts must be recorded to Track-1.  Other parts (including manual drum parts played from the keys) are recorded to the other tracks, but the basic Rhythm has to go on Track-1, and here our WK's have a built-in trap, of sorts.  The Registration BANK button is used to select Track-1 for recording.  No real problem here, but Registration button 1 is used to select Track-2 and Reg button 3 for Track-4, and so on.  I am forever trying to start my recordings by pressing Reg 1 to select Track-1 and everything goes downhill from there, so watch out for that one.

Normally, if your fingering mode (Casio Chord, Fingered, Full Range) is set before you go into STEP RECORD, it carries over into the record mode, but occasionally, it drops off (Auto-Accompaniment OFF) when you go into STEP RECORD, so once you are in STEP RECORD STANDBY, check your fingering mode to ensure that it has not dropped off.  If it has, just reselect the mode you want.  You can do this right from standby.  You do not have to exit to reselect it.  If it drops off, and you do not reselect it, you will also get static chords with no Rhythm, since Auto-Accompaniment dropped off.

The manual states several times, in the recording sections, that newly recorded data overwrites (erases) previously recorded data on any given track.  This is 100% correct for REAL-TIME RECORDING, but not always so for STEP RECORDING.  Some time ago, I step recorded a chord progression, and everything worked fine except for the tempo and the chord change timing.  I kept setting a Tempo of 116, but it kept falling back to 92, there were three beats of silence at the start, and all of the chord changes kept occurring on beat 3 instead of on beat 4.  I finally realized that the previous "song" in that memory slot was a 3 beat drum intro with a Tempo of 92 that I had created some months earlier.  The actual drum note data had been erased (the 3 beats of silence), but the previous end point (beat 3) had carried over into the start (beat 4), and the original Tempo (92) had carried over into the new song I was trying to record.  That was not the only time I have noticed this with the STEP RECORD mode.  It is not difficult to imagine a previously recorded song with a "drums off" command that carries over into a new song.  So, for any recording (STEP or REAL-TIME), I strongly recommend doing a SONG DELETE (right hand column of Page E-72 in the WK-3000 manual) on the selected SONG MEMORY slot before starting any recording.  Nothing like starting with a clean slate!

OK, Frank!  I think one of the above should get you headed down the right "track" (pun definitely intended).  Good luck!  Let us know how you make out.

Thank you so much Ted for this great informative reply. That is exactly what is happening, i just get the static chords. Printing out your reply now. I am thinking there is something wrong with the unit because I have hit the "Syncro" button previously and nothing happens, the chosen rhythm is still displayed, with nothing being enabled ect..

This is what I am doing:

1) turn on power

2) Song memory button to "step record" "rec" is flashing

3) Hit "Rhythm" button. Chosen rhythm is displayed

4) Hit "synchro" button. Nothing happens. Rhythm is still displayed Forces me to go to "Chord/TR1" an input the chord

but as you stated, the rhythm is being canceled at that point.

Would you be able to send me a step by step to see if Im doing this correctly? I believe I am but the unit is not seeing that Synchro button (??)

I am trying to record a song eight measures of Bb7sus and then eight measures of C7sus. There is however, no "loop
 function on the unit (??) once the 16 measures has played, the song is over, I cannot loop the sixteen measures. Printing out you info now. Thank you very much my friend! FrankG

OK, Frank!

Your Items 1 through 4 in your previous reply are 100% correct.  As a matter of fact, they are more correct than you realize.  In Item 4, you state that when you press the Synchro button, nothing happens - and that is correct - in a way.  Somethiing very important happens, but it is not somethng you can see or hear, at the moment.  It embeds a code into your recording that starts the rhythm DURING PLAYBACK.  The rhythm does not play during the Step Record process.  It will not play until you have finshed, exited record mode, and go to Song Play Mode, but after you enter each chord, you have one other piece of important data to enter - you need to tell the recorder how long to hold that chord - half a measure, a whole measure, etc, and you do that with the number pad.  The buttons on the number pad are labeled with numbers and NOTES.  Button 1 enters whole notes, 2 enters half notes, 3 enters quarter notes and so forth.  So, if you enter a chord that you want to sound for the entire measure, you need to enter a whole note after it.  Entering note lengths also advances you to subsequent measures and updates the Song Position Pointer in the display, so that you can keep track of where you are at in the song. There will be two sounds during this procedure.  There will be a short chord burst when you enter the chord and another for the length of the specified note at the specified tempo when you enter the note length.  There is a bit of a short-cut for this process.  Say you want an F chord for the first 3 measures - you enter the F chord at measure 1 beat 1 and then enter 3 whole notes.  You do not need to enter an F chord in measures 2 an 3, just the note lengths.  You only need to enter a chord again when it changes to a different chord.  You can enter a "held" chord at the start of each measure.  It won't hurt anything, but if you have a lot of Step Recording to do, it can save a lot of time and effort just entering the note lengths.  Do not be tempted to exit half-way through and listen to what you have so far.  When you do that, the Song Length becomes permanently fixed and the Editor will not allow you to add any more data.  Be cautious when entering your data, as the Editor is somewhat limited on what it will and will not allow you to correct.  See Pages E-69 through E-73 in the manaul for making corrections and editing.

As for "looping" - the WK-3000's Song Recorder is just a "plain old straight forward start at the beginning and play through to the end and quit" Linear Sequencer.  It does not "loop".  For that, you need a Pattern Sequencer, and that, the WK-3000 does not have.

Good luck!

Thanks Ted. I almost gave up on you replying. Yes I do enter the duration on the chord, and yes I do that shortcut you are referring to. That is why when I "play song" i just get the "static chord" because I am entering them as whole notes.(1 key) I just cant figure out the step by step process. I was wondering if you could give a brief description on what you doing from powering up the unit and so fourth. I even returned the keyboard to its default settings by the "transpose" feature.

This is what Im doing:

1) Turn on power

2) Song Memory-----.>Song 500--->to "Step Record" (rec is flashing in display)

3) Hit white Rhythm button and select rhythm

4) Hit "Syncro fill in next"

5) Hit "Chord/Tr1" "chord" is displayed in display

select chord---->hit "#1" button for eight measures of whole notes, display shows 8 measures, and i get the sound of the chord for each programmed measure.

6) Hit "Start/Stop" "please wait" shown in display

7) Song memory to song 500

8) Hit "Start/Stop" static chords no rhythm: ("doooooong...doooooong ect)

Just a simple rhythm with the chords for eight measures. Then I wanted to go to another chord for 8 measures. If there was a step by step example in the manual, it would be a lot easier for me. Im close...very close. And you saved me from getting rid of this keyboard. Shame because it has some good sounds. Thanks again for your time Ted and will be awaiting your reply, FrankG

Frank

Your step-by-step procedure is just fine - with one exception.  The Synchro/Fil is recorded as soon as you press that button.  You are doing it (Step 4) before you have told the song Recorder which track to record it to (Step 5), so it never gets recorded, so you never get a rhythm.  You need to swap Steps 4 and 5.  When I use your procedure, as is, I get static chords with no rhythm, just like you are getting.  When I reverse Steps 4 and 5, and press Chord/Tr1 before I press Synchro/Fil I get chords complete with rhythm.  Give it a try !

Good luck!

There has got to be something wrong with this keyboard Ted. I did progress a little though. The sequence is now as follows:

1) Turn on power

2) Song Memory-----.>Song 500--->to "Step Record" (rec is flashing in display)

3) Hit "Chord/Tr1" "chord" is displayed in display

select chord---->hit "#1" button for eight measures of whole notes, display shows 8 measures, and i get the sound of the chord for each programmed measure.

4) Hit white Rhythm button and select rhythm

5) Hit "Syncro fill in next" "Sync/Fill" now in display (which it wasn't before.)

6) Hit "Start/Stop" "please wait" shown in display

7) Song memory to song 500

8) Hit "Start/Stop" static chords no rhythm: ("doooooong...doooooong ect)

I appreciate your Ted Ted, Im about to give up on this one. Thanks again FrankG

Update to Ted.

Thanks again for straightening me out on this. Creating a song with no problem now. Still some small glitches like adding an intro and ending, but working out ok. I just wish the unit had a Maj7#11 and a minor 7/13 chords (James Brown "Make it Funky part 1" chord. Oh well. Thanks my friend. FrankG

Hi Frank !

Glad to hear that you are getting along with your WK-3000 better than you were a week ago.  I know what you mean with the Intros, Endings, and Fills and the Step Recorder.  The secret is usually in knowing when to hit those buttons - before or after you enter the chord.  Right now, I can not remember off the top of my head, and it was always that way when I used to use it all the time - I could never remember the right order.  I always had to experiment.

I also know what you mean about some of the more exotic chords.  That is a limitation that most of the Arranger (One-Man-Bander) keyboards suffer from - even the expensive ones.

P.S.

After I knew you had seen my last reply, I had the Admins move this thread down here to this sub-forum.  This is the one for all the CTK/WK models other than the 6XXX/7XXX units.

Keep enjoying that WK-3000.  Best of luck with it !

• Like 1