Casio WK-3500

tuffyneck

Hello All Music Keyboard Tech Wizards. I have a situation I was hoping someone could help me with. I have a casio WK-3500. Old I know. I wanted to hook it up to my windows 10 PC. I purchased the Mio 1 in 1 out midi to USB adapter. It recognizes the Mio but not the keyboard. Does anyone have a solution for this. I spoke to Casio support and they sent me here. I'm going to contact Microsoft to see if they have a driver. But if anyone here knows a better way to get my keyboard up and running into my PC I would greatly appreciate it. Also I'm using LMMS as my music software. If that helps.

Try looking at this:

http://music.casio.com/e/data_ex4/before.html

IDES 4.0 is software that I'm pretty sure is compatible with the WK3500-I use it with an older PX410 (88 key) and this Casio international website has alot of info on the older Casios not found on the current US website. And the added functions in the IDES 4.0 software will help you determine if the WK is communicating correctly, plus it will allow you access to functions not accessible otherwise.And i agree with Brad regarding drivers-the IDES 4.0 software only looks to see what midi cable driver/port you are using, so if you have the correct Windows USB driver installed everything should work.

Tuffy

Johnathon

The Casio Internet Data Expansion System (IDES) software version to Casio model compatibilities are as follows:

IDES-1: CTK-671 *

IDES-2: CTK-691 / WK-3000 / WK-3500

IDES-3: CTK-900 / WK-3200 / WK-3700

IDES-4: WK-3300 / WK-3800 / WK-8000 / PX-410R / px-575R

* "IDES-1" is my reference.  I do not believe Casio ever referred to it as IDES-1.  Rather, they just referred to it as the "Internet Data Expansion System for the CTK-671", but being for the oldest model listed above, it was the first version released to the public.

The most important item to understand about the various IDES versions is that the higher numbered version are NOT upgrades or updates to lower numbered (older) versions.  Each version is specific to the model(s) for which it is listed.  Newer (higher numbered) versions of IDES will not necessarily work properly (or at all) with the older model keyboards.

I used to own a Casio PX-575 which was based on the WK 3000 series keyboards. The Mio should have come with a software driver that would need to be installed. There should be instructions on how to configure the Mio with your computer's sound card. The Mio should show up in your computer's sound settings and you configure it for recording/playback according to the instructions. There should be a latency setting to configure also. If you hear crackling and popping, latency needs to be adjusted. Casio used to have downloadable 32 bit drivers for the WK series but these would not work in Windows 10. These boards were geared for Windows 98 and XP, Vista and Windows 7 32 bit OS.

I am using the current Win-7/8 64 bit driver to connect my 12 year old WK-3800 to my Vista and Win-7 64 bit machines.  Casio does not list that driver as compatible with Vista-64, but it has been working for me for over 4 years now.  I do get some occasional receive buffer overflow on file transfers on both Vista and Win-7, but when that happens, I just resend, and it usually works fine on the resend.  If you have a WK-3XXX board and want to try connecting it to a Vista or Win-7 64 system, it is worth a try, but do not know about any of the older CTK or PX models..

I'd be surprised if Casio's 32 bit drivers work with a 64 bit OS. These drivers did not work well on the 32 bit OS they were designed for according to what I've read elsewhere. My PX-575 did not have Midi in/Out, only USB midi. I never got satisfactory results until I bought an audio interface using an ASIO driver to lower the latency to eliminate the popping and clicking I constantly got. The new Casios seem to work fine as they are class compliant with Mac and PC as well as IOS.

Casiofun

Sorry for the confusion !  I am not talking about 32 bit drivers on 64 bit systems.  That is an absolute impossibility.  I am talking about using the Casio 64 bit MIDI-USB driver to connect the older WK-3XXX keyboards to the Vista/Win-7 64 bit operating systems.  I was responding to Jokeyman123's recent  comments regarding the use of Casio's MIDI-based IDES software to load user expansion files (tones, rhythms, etc) to compatible WK models, while you were responding to discussion of the Mio, so I am going to back on out of here and stay out of the way of that conversation.  Again - my apologies.  I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is your issue, but I own multiple mio interfaces. They were giving me headaches until I upgraded the firmware on them. The manufacturer of mio has a special software that you need to analyze your mio device and check if it has the latest firmware, and then automatically upgrades it. I can tell you that none of the mio were communicating SYSEX messages properly until I did this.