Phrase seq + HEX + zones = problem?

lordluca

Hi!

So here's the problem:

I recorded phrase in phrase seq using HEX layer sound. I did a zone split where zone 1 (3 first octaves) where i control this phrase by keyplay.

in zone 2 (4th octave to the end) i have my solo sound. And now - i can use ONLY ONE HEX sound at a time so in zone 2 i MUST assign only PCM sound - that's ok.

But i wanted to switch and set my ZONE 1 to play PCM sound as a recorded phrase but i still CANNOT assign HEX sound to zone 2 as a solo sound. I keep getting error that it's impossible to assign hex.

It looks like i can assign hex sounds only to zone 1, is it true?

Is there any way to have sequenced pcm phrase on the left side and hex solo synth on the right side?

Any help, plz?

When you say "Hex solo synth", do you mean the Hex Layers or the actual Solo Synth? The Solo Synth is the monophonic synth section, the Hex Layers are the 6 layer polyphonic synth section, and you can only use one incidence of either the Solo Synth OR the Hex Layer at any one time. You cannot have them in operation simultaneously, even if you try to assign each to different zones across the keyboard. You can also only use one incidence of each at any one time, i.e. you can only have one incidence of the solo synth selected for one zone, you cannot select it again for any other zone. The same applies to Hex Layers. Apologies if you already know this.

I'm not familiar enough with the phrase sequencing side of the XW's to fully understand your predicament, but I do wonder that if you've recorded a phrase with the Hex Layers in operation, then that phrase will always be associated with that Hex Layer? Hence why your zone 1 appearing to be PCM, is still trying to play the Hex Layers when you use the phrase sequencer, and zone 2 not allowing a Hex Layer to be selected, because the Hex Layer is already assigned to zone 1 via the phrase sequencer?

It looks like i can assign hex sounds only to zone 1, is it true?

Correct. It is true. See page E-64 of the XW-P1 User's Guide.

Is there any way to have sequenced pcm phrase on the left side and hex solo synth on the right side?

Of course (Hex _or_ solo synth, I assume you mean). What side you play a tone on has nothing to do with the zone it is in. You simply assign the notes you need to each zone. See KeyRangLow and KeyRangHi on that same page E-64. The range you set with these two parameters is completely independent for each zone. For example, to do what you want you could assign the range C5 to C7 for Zone 1 and the range C2 to B4 for Zone 2. You could also overlap zones, partially or completely (the latter case usually called "layering"). Just remember that when you record a phrase it records the notes you play, not the sounds associated with them. If you want a phrase to play using the PCM sound in Zone 2, play and record into the phrase only notes in the range of keys you assigned to Zone 2.  

Thx for the answers :) Now i understand the concept of zones. After some digging i can answer my last question - SOLO SYNTH, HEX and DRAWBAR can be assigned ONLY to ZONE 1.

It looks like that:

ZONE 1 - SOLO or HEX or DRAWBAR or PCM

ZONE 2 - PCM only

ZONE 3 - PCM only

ZONE 4 - PCM only