Privia PX-5s HELP

Ellie Bell

Can someone please help me figure out how to change the tones/sounds on the Casio Privia PX-5s Professional keyboard?? On every other keyboard I've EVER seen there is a slide wheel... or buttons to type in 001 - piano ..... 035- flute etc... I can't find ANY information about this online.. and I hate the keyboard because of it. I apologize if this is a very dumb question to ask.. but I really need to be able to select different instruments/sounds/tones quickly. In the manual there is a "bank of sounds" but I have no idea how to access/select them... I am not interested in altering tones, editing them, or adding layers upon layers.... I just need to know how to get to multiple organ sounds.. or flute sounds... or brass sounds... or choir sounds....  I've read the manual, watched videos, looked for answers, but I can not find anything. I am about to sell this thing, please help. 

Start by pressing the tone category button you want. Use the - yes + no buttons to scroll thru the tones one by one or hold the NUM KEY button while pressing the same buttons to access -10 +10 scrolling. 

Or you can..... Press the NUM KEY. The blue lamp will light.  Use the stage setting number buttons to type in a tone number. Remember to input all 3 digits even if it starts with two zeros.  This can be done fairly quickly but..... 

This keyboard is really intended to use stage settings for performances. These are there for you to customize with sounds you plan to use.  Ten stage settings at a time are one button press away.   The factory stage settings are designed to give you a variety of sounds in one bank.  You can change these to be whatever you want.

You can also load in an alternate stage setting listing that groups the banks by type, so bank one is pianos, bank two are tine EPs, three is reed EPs, etc. You can find this alternate stage setting setup in the downloads area here.

Generally, most of us use the Stage Settings to get around, especially once we have set them up the way we need them.

I would also suggest you go to px-5s.com . There you will find links to just about every resource about the PX-5S including a great FAQ, videos, and more. I know you're not looking to do tons of programming with it, but there's also lots linked there that will help you get started understanding it.