Video Files on Forum ×

where do I find the tone called "warm pad"?

manderson

• 2 weeks later...

TWO APPROACHES:

KEYBOARD EVENTS: On/Off timing

The simplest approach to keeping these pads sounds from getting "muddy" is to change your approach to "ON" and "OFF" events.

A piano starts when the hammer hits the string and stops when the key is lifted and our brains tend to treat pads with the same logic.

Change your approach to pressing the keys well before you want to hear the sound and lift ODD earlier than you'd normally do.

Leave silence between chords and you'll have less sonic overlap and a clearer transition.

CHANGE THE "TONE" SETTINGS:

I'm too new to know how to do this. I looked at editing this TONE and quickly saw that the "decay parameter" is part of the tone

and not editable. So, the tone needs to be re-created as an editable HEX-LAYER (I think... if I'm wrong please advise in this thread).

So, I need to watch the "Understanding/Creating HEX-LAYERS" video to see if I can use an existing TONE as  starting point for an editable

HEX-TONE and modify the decay.

If I get a clue I'll let you know. If existing factory TONES can't be used as a starting point then the TONE needs to be designed to match the WARM PAD sound and tweaked

to taste. 

McDTracy

That was easy... the video shows how to get to the "release parameter" in the first minute.

Edit the "warm pad" tone

Edit -> Edit -> Amp -> Envelope

Tweak (i.e touch the 00 numeric value until it turns RED) the "release time" value towards a negative value until the sounds are what you'd prefer (i.e. less overlapping and muddy).

You can also increase the "Initial Level" setting to make a pad less sluggish and close to the event behavior of a piano allowing your playing to be more rhythmic.

NOTE: Save your edited TONE to a unused REGISTRATION button (24 BANKS of 4 1-4 buttons). Or you'll have to manually tweak these parameters every time you want the same

results.

McDTracy

• 4 years later...