Video Files on Forum ×

I gots me one!

Rudolph R-N R

Forgoing the safety of a warranty, i got a good deal off of eBay.  So far so good!

Thankfully I've had a fair amount of experience with various keyboards.  In the last 10 years or so I've had a Casio WK3300 (?), Yamaha Motif XS7, a Yamaha PSR 3000 (one step or two below the Tyros 1), a Korg M3 61, and still have a Nord Stage 88 Classic and a Casio WK 7600.

My desire for this keyboard was many fold- was so frustrated and upset with the poor quality of the sounds from the WK 7600, the absolutely dismal keybed feel and responsiveness, the user interface that was OK in some ways and stupid in others.  I did like however that it had built-in speakers, was lightweight, and was pretty cheap.  I kept on wanting an upgrade to its portable form, and was willing to pay more.  The x500 is a definite upgrade!

One of the things that I've always found very challenging with any keyboard I've had is evaluating the sounds- i literally spent weeks and weeks with some boards trying to train my ear, trying to distinguish one very similar sound from the next, rarely ever HEARING something that moved me. Thankfully i got a Nord Stage, and everything became clear- instead of auditioning 1000s of sounds like i had with the workstations and all the others, there were relatively few sounds, but i pretty much liked them all, and could hear what an organ, an ep, a synth could sound like without all the fuss of deep menu diving and endless comparisons of one sound against another trying to find the best ones.

The other thing I discovered along the way was the extremes of user interface.  The Motif XS7, "the best and greatest workstation" available at the time, all told cost me around $4,000 once I'd gotten everything in place, and i ended up feeling like it was a total waste of my time, effort and money, ended up selling it for $1,400.  The sounds for the most part did not inspire me (I'm apparently in the minority in this reaction), and the user interface (UI) was really poor and frustrating if you went below the top surface of interaction.  The best thing I can say about it was the keybed was excellent.  My music education was expensive!

When i finally got the Nord Stage I was very happy.  Great sounds, great UI, and now, 6 years later i still have it and will probably keep it forever if I don't upgrade to the latest one.  However, it doesn't do anything like sequencing, sampling, etc.  So I needed a new board, in part because I'd rather not be dealing with a computer to make music.

My other choice would have been the Roland FA06.  In fact it would be my choice before the x500 except the keybed on the Roland was one of the worst I've ever experienced.  Come to find out recently they are coming out with the FA07, which apparently has a much better semi-weighted keybed, and with a 76 note keybed, that'd be sweet!  Problem is it's not out yet, and getting a smoking deal on a used unit is probably a year off or so.  And to be honest, having the built-in speakers and velocity sensitive pads is a big deal for me, so getting the x500 at approx half the cost of the FA07 made it possible to buy in the first place.  The FA series has many of the same features as the x500 and is also known to be extremely user friendly.  

Anyways, I'm super excited about the POTENTIAL of this board-

- Grab and go to jams and parties, no need for external amps for keyboard or mic

- Those crazy pads!

- Apparently easy to use sequencer, and included software to import samples to pads

- Using things like Chords and Phrases with the pads (have never done that)

- Seeing how user friendly it is to create my own rhythms with the pads

- A board small enough I can play in bed?

The things I'm worried about:

- That overall the sounds won't be that much of an upgrade from the WK 7600.  From my brief perusal so far the jury is still out

- That the body will scratch easily

- That the flimsy music stand will break (what were they thinking?)

- That there will be frustrating impasses in the UI, like with the WK 7600, and quite a few poorly designed boards (IMO), where if you create a User Tone, then the Registration that uses it is looking at the slot number that User Tone is in, instead of saving that User Tone to the registration.  That simple design shortcut means you can never move or re-order your User Tone from that slot, because the Registrations that references it is looking to a slot number.  (I realize this requires a tiny bit more memory to save the parameters of that User Tone to that Registration, and that there's a potential benefit to all the Registrations that use that User Tone if you edit and improve the User Tone.  But the number of times that this design has created unnecessary problems and inflexibility cause you had to keep every User Tone in one place forever- it's enough to make me swear!).

Anyways- time will tell.  Would be curious what other people think!

Randy

PS The board reluctantly upgraded from 1.21 to 1.5, so all good for now!

Ok play in bed if you have bed big enough then yes size similar to MOXF6 plus speakers,other things which you mentioned yes to all of them .

Sounds much better than WK and XW series(I had both of them) especially strings warm pads and hex layer dead easy  sound making comparing to Yamaha's.

• Like 1

I generally like my MZ-X500 BUT that being said the clacking keyboard and key feel drives me crazy and the mic input is useless when using a professional mic like the Shure SM58 without a mic preamp.  The sounds are good, some even great, plenty of speaker volume for small room gigs, the pads are very useful and the touch screen is user friendly.  Overall the pluses outweigh the minuses but there is lots of room for improvement.  I'm sure you will enjoy it, congrats. 

On 7/11/2017 at 11:37 AM, Jazzman said:

I generally like my MZ-X500 BUT that being said the clacking keyboard and key feel drives me crazy  

Jazzman,

Guess I lucked out, the key bed on mine is really pretty quiet, I've heard and witnessed that the key bed quality from one Casio keyboard to another (same model) can be very different, playing them side-by-side in stores. Over time I've certainly heard plenty of clacky keybeds, and like you I find them annoying.

I was really worried that this keybed was going to be a cheapy, like the WK7600 (which WAS an upgrade from the 7500), but have been pleasantly surprised at how quiet and nice feeling it is, it has a reasonably good progression from soft to loud with some push back, more of a semi weighted then an organ or unweighted action.

I would think the MZX boards are using the same keybed as XW/WK series boards. Would not surprise me if they are the same as their home keyboards. Casio uses the same keybed on all their Privia pianos and a variant on the CDP 130. The CDP 130 action is either the same or similar to the older PX-30 series Privias.

Proper keybed is 88 full keys and that is true for all manufacturers not Casio only now if mz x500 had  that and 10 gig of sounds how much it would cost and would we buy Casio for 2800/3000£ even though it would be same quality as Kronos and Montage.

This is bargain and for that money there is no better arranger/workstation and if it is can somebody let me know so I can buy one .

Leonh,

Not really, 88 keys is good specifically for pianos and a handful of other instruments, otherwise synth, organs, and many other sounds are better played on on weighted or semi weighted keyboards. That's why so many Pros have for their optimal setup with at least two keyboards, one that is weighted, one that is semi weighted.

The other issue is that weighted keyboards weigh typically two to three times as unweighted. Good weighted keyboards also cost a lot more then the semi weighted.

In my opinion the X500 is great as a semi weighted keyboard, however I'm really disappointed they didn't make it 76 Keys instead of 61,. And as you can see, they barely fit in all the controls of this board in such a small form!

I'm sorry Leon h, but anybody who knows would disagree that the X500 is on the same level as the Montage or Kronos. There's a reason both of those keyboards are three to four times the price!

Of course I did say that if mz 500 had same specs as Kronos or Montage it would cost much more as it does those two are different league no discussion about it.

But for what it does and for this price any better keyboard out there?

MZ 500 I got it brand new on sale for 550£

Kronos 61 2700£

Montage 61 2500£

One day I will get one of them just need some 💰.

RANDELPH - Hi mate! NEVER disagreed with ANYONE, since I joined the group, a while back, but I see all the problems I had with the "SYNTHZONE" attitudes, that I've talked about in another thread, in your reply here!

If you take a moment to REALLY think about it, buddy, where on earth is the relevance in insisting that: " anybody who "KNOWS" ( sounds a bit "elitist " don't you think, Randelph?? ) would disagree that the X500 is on the same level as the Montage or the Kronos ""?......... Well who the heck, on this Forum, has ever claimed that it IS?? As LEONH illustrates, so succinctly, you're talking about two keyboards that are FIVE TIMES THE PRICE of the X500 ( apologies to the Group for using so many caps! ;-) ) ........

...... and, anyway, those two keyboards are totally different beasts to the X500, with a totally different part to play ( excuse the unintended pun! ), whether in the studio or on stage!

I, personally, have always maintained, and used, a simple criteria when it comes to comparing different pieces of kit - You're welcome to use it yourself, if it helps! 

Example -  Keyboard "A", in terms of Sounds, Features, Functions, Spec, UI, Size, and PRICE, fits my needs as perfectly as I can find.

So I now, on the advice of - well.... whoever, decide to do a comparison critique, with keyboards "B" and "C".....

..... And here's the oh-so-simple bit!! ......

...... Would my purchasing "B" or "C" serve ALL my, personal, requirements, as already provided by "A"? ........ NO? ....... Then that's it!! Comparison over!!

....... Are "B" or "C" going to cost me so much LESS than "A", that I'd be prepared to accept a keyboard that's going to provide less of the features that I actually NEED? ......... NO?? ........ Then that's it!! Comparison over!!

You get the point - I hope?!?

I've always hankered after a Ferrari! ( Yeah, I wish! ), but my wife and I have two married daughters, and grandchildren, and nephews and nieces, and THEY have children! Then there are our children's friends, and our grandchildrens' friends - and there are birthday parties, and barbecues, and day-trips, and holidays!!!! ........

.........Is the Ferrari a better car than our treasured MPV? Yes! Of course it is!

But is it going to provide all, or, even, most, of the features we NEED, at an equivalent, or lower price, than the MPV?

No, of course it isnt!!

So that's it! Comparison ( and dream! ) over!!

The X500 provides MOST if not ALL  the features of an ARRANGER / SYNTH / SAMPLER, at a price that's not going to break the majority of players' banks!

It's, maybe, time that somebody told it like it is! To a heck of a lot of people, £2500,  or £3500, or £4500 is a HECK of a lot of money!!.......

......... And, to those players, the X500 is a veritable GIFT, from the gods of music!!

Just my opinion guys,

Take care all

Chris

• Like 1

If you can't make music with mz 300/500 then you can't make with 10000 £  keyboard.

Now to prove that statement just for the information I am a recording engineer (retired now).I saw musicians of all kinds with many different instruments and it was musician not instrument who does the magic ,when Korg M1 came to the market it was about 2500£ with 16 voices 8 parts multitimbral and 4 MB ROM and yet most of the biggest musical hits of that time were made by this instrument.

Now among others MZ looks like spaceship compared to that one and still people complain 🤔.I don't see that music nowadays is 1000 better than before so where is the problem instrument or musician.

And yes if you can afford buy most expensive keyboard on the planet why not I would but I guess my music would be the same quality .

When public listen to the  hit melody they say what a song not did you hear that 5 gig piano.

• Like 1

As JAZZMAN says, LEONH, excellent points as usual ;-)

No songwriter, as an example, will have the inherent quality of their creativity improved by buying  a Tyros 5 instead of an X500, or a "J 200 " instead of the much less expensive Epiphone-alike. It'll sound lovely - but it'll still be the same song!

Take care all

Chris

13 hours ago, Songwriter2015 said:

As JAZZMAN says, LEONH, excellent points as usual ;-)

No songwriter, as an example, will have the inherent quality of their creativity improved by buying  a Tyros 5 instead of an X500, or a "J 200 " instead of the much less expensive Epiphone-alike. It'll sound lovely - but it'll still be the same song!

Take care all

Chris

"... but it'll still be the same song!."

... but embellished by the echo of an empty bank balance.  :-) 

• Like 3