Effect Pedals on XW-P1

Dirk

Hello.  This is my first post on the forum.  First I want to say I'm absolutely loving my XW-P1.  I've had it for about a month now and I still feel I haven't scratched the surface but I'm getting there.  I've really found the magic of this synth is the ability to dig into it and create Solo Synths and Hex Layers with the raw waveforms.  I even used it on a session and created a hex layer pad on the fly that we ended up using on about 3 tunes that called for a unique pad sound.  During that session I ran the XW-P1 through a lot of effect pedals. Chorus, flanger, phaser, etc.  I'm now considering building a little effect chain to use when I play live.  My first purchase was a EHX Lester K, which really puts the organ tone on another level.  I'm looking at the Corona Chorus Mini and Flashback Delay Mini pedals from TC Electronic, but before I jump into those I'm planning on getting a Waldorf 2Pole filter.  It will fit perfectly on the open area at the right of the keyboard and I think will really add some analog flavor to the hex layers, since the filters there are not resonant.  I'm also considering getting an Moog Minifooger MF Boost with expression pedal to use as a swell pedal in conjunction with the Lester K.

Does anyone else have any experience running their XW-P1 through pedals or outboard stuff?  What advice can you give me?  What pedals work great with the Casio?

Thanks for reading!  

I can't offer any experience personally, though I do know that a lot of people use a "Vent" pedal (Leslie simulations) for the drawbar section of the P1 to really waken up the organs.

As for standard type effects pedals, i.e. chorus, delay, phaser, flange etc., the P1 comes with many DSP effects that cover all of those already. For me, I would use the onboard effects before using any pedals. The one exception would be an analogue filter pedal, seeing as the P1 doesn't have an onboard analogue filter. It does, of course, have a digital simulation of a resonant filter in the Solo Synth section, which can be used with PCM Tones if set up correctly. Unfortunately though, this filter cannot be used with the Hex Layers or Drawbar Organ sections, as those and the Solo Synth are mutually exclusive. 

However, as I've just recently found out thanks to AlenK's in depth "P1 Companion Guide" and the wonderful advice via the forum, there are ways to get a resonant filter effect with the Hex Layers by utilising the Wah DSP. It's a compromise as the Wah effect doesn't have any keyboard triggering envelopes that can be used, though it can be set up with a step sequence and arpeggiator to simulate an envelope. I have also managed to set up a Hex Layer performance patch that assigns the Wah LFO depth and speed controls to the assignable knobs K3 and K4, with K1 controlling the cut off and K2 controlling the resonance. Using those manually with the Hex Layers, you can really start to get a good resonant filter effect and classic filter sweeps. I would definitely try that technique first before shelling out for a filter pedal, especially considering they aren't cheap to buy and unless they have signal sensing envelopes/ triggers, you'd have to operate those manually too. Just as you would with the Wah controls assigned to K1 - K4. If you do want that Moog ladder filter sound specifically, then of course, you need the Moog pedal!

As you've already found out, the P1 is very deep in its capabilities and potential. I'd experiment more with what it already has onboard, because you might then find no need to run it though effects pedals.

Enjoy your P1, and welcome to the forum!

I have been running mine through a Boss me-50 and it sounds pretty good. That particular multi effects pedal has a resonance effect that is friggin awesome if you find the filter on the solo synth steps too much.

None of the bottom end is lost like I would have thought considering it's digital. The only problem I've had is that basically none of the overdrive or distortion effects sound good, but they were programmed for a guitar so I figure that's to be expected.

Oh yeah, it also has a rotary built in that emulates the speed up and slow down of the real deal but it can't be controlled via foot switch which is kinda sad. The rate goes really fast to quite slow and that's pretty nice.