Video Files on Forum ×

Midi Recorder - Guys I am cracking up!!

Hi all :)

Okay, this is NOT "bragging", guys, I just have to emphasise that I'm no "virgin" when it comes to studio-recording! :) ........

BUT, I simply cannot get my head round how to record an accompaniement track and KEEP it whilst trying to continue to record individual tracks! Further, I can't find any way to even SELECT an individual track to record onto! If I record the Accompaniement track, I only get the SAME Midi Recorder screen with the only option being to record to "Track 1"! If I DO try to record to that track it ERASES the previously recorded Accompaniement track, and I STILL only have the option to record to that same "Track 1"!!

Although I KNOW I'm making some sort of "beginner's" mistake somewhere, I've read both the Basics manual, and the Tutorial manual and, unless I'm blind, I'm darned if I can find ANY indication as to how to do a "simple" multitrack recording, INCLUDING Accompaniement properly!

Im happy to be as humble as you like, accepting my own stupidity ( if that's what it is! ) but PLEASE guys, someone put me out of my misery and explain the "A,B,C" to solving this ridiculous conundrum!!

Thanks a million

Take care all

Chris

It's in the manual but I'll reword it for you.

1) Press MIDI recorder icon. You'll see the MIDI RECORDER screen.

2) Press the record icon button. You'll see the track name appear immediately below along with several other things.  The track will be in standby mode.

3) Touch Rec Type to select Punch In, Overdub.....etc. 

4) Press New Data to start a new song. Otherwise the first song in memory will be recorded over.  

5) "System track *No name" is the default track. Use this to record auto accomp.  Start playing keys or press play to start the recorder.  Stop when done.  I suggest going to monitor and edit the track names in order to have an indicator of what is on your recorded tracks.

4) Press Record again, choose a solo track by pressing the track title box.  Rinse and repeat.

Note: System track is a Casio proprietary track and the only one that can record auto accompaniment and upper/lower performance parts.

The 16 solo tracks are standard MIDI sequencer tracks.

Well would you believe it?!!? I PROMISE you BRAD and RICK I wasnt fibbing when I said I'd read both the online  Basics Manual and the Tutorial Manual, literally from "cover to cover", but this just proves that unless you absorb and digest EVERY word then you'll gain very little!!

In my case there was one word that, somehow, I was simply blind to, and it's a word I've been familiar with throughout all my decades in the studio!!

That single word ( thanks BRAD, because I spotted it instantly in your reply! ) was - "SOLO"!!

HOW I managed to miss it every time I went through the Tutorial, in particular, I have no idea, considering I've, literally, pressed that button, countless times, on the mixer, every single session of my recording life! Admittedly it serves a different purpose in that context, but, even so, I'm red-faced with embarrassment!!

Thanks, you two, for humouring my, literally, blind-stupidity, in such a gentle way!

Take care

Chris

RICK, sometimes, BECAUSE, as you rightly say, it's so awesome, it feels like trying to learn to fly the space-shuttle!! :D - BUT, even at this early stage, for me ( I can't believe it's only been 9 days!! ), the results are already proving mind-blowing!

The sounds I'm already getting, just playing around with the Hex Layers, are beyond anything I could have imagined Rick! It truly is an astonishing feature of an astonishing keyboard!

Thanks as always Rick :2thu:

Chris