Sustain pedal not working

Rudolph R-N R

Not sure what's going on. This is a relatively new ex 500 that I bought used, as in a return. So far the sustain pedal has not been working, and it works on other boards. I went through the settings, by default it's set to Midi CC 64. I tried it on other settings as well, and it didn't work.   This is on the pedal number one Jack.

I also tried the  expression pedal, in footpedal number 2, and no matter what CC  it was set to it didn't seem to do anything  except turn on and off the sound abruptly.

Thanks for all the useful advice!  I did try out my m audio sustain pedal with the WK 7600, and it did not work. I have had a number of M audio and Yamaha sustain and expression pedals that stopped working, and I've been successful sometimes after changing out the cord, they sometimes work again.

That's funny that Casio has been asked for so many years to have an expression pedal input, and they still don't!  though apparently the moog expression pedal does work when sent to CC 07?

The sustain pedal from Casio shop is $40! I don't think so! Does anyone have another sustain pedal that works?  What cc do I set  it to?

I don't see Mike Martin or anyone from Casio addressing these issues that are obviously happening for a lot of people. Where are they?

On 7/27/2017 at 1:26 AM, Randelph said:

That's funny that Casio has been asked for so many years to have an expression pedal input, and they still don't!  though apparently the moog expression pedal does work when sent to CC 07?

The sustain pedal from Casio shop is $40! I don't think so! Does anyone have another sustain pedal that works?  What cc do I set  it to?

What? Both the MZ-X500 and the PX-560 accept an expression pedal and it is fully functional. What the pedal actually does is configured in a menu that contains CC numbers and MANY parameters other than CC numbers. BTW, I'm not sure that the keyboard will transmit a MIDI CC command out the MIDI port when you move the pedal, if you need that functionality. (I haven't tested that on my PX-560 - I don't have a MZ-X500 - but maybe others here have.)

Re sustain pedal (on/off) almost any pedal with a polarity switch will work when set to one of the two switch positions. You go into a menu on the instrument and select its function for the input you have connected it to (for the sustain function you would select "CC#64 - HOLD1"). Both inputs have the same list of functions (on the PX-560 anyways - probably the same on the MZ-X500.) A switch-type pedal will select between two static values of whatever parameter you have selected. You can select two parameters for each pedal to be controlled simultaneously. 

20 hours ago, Randelph said:

I don't see Mike Martin or anyone from Casio addressing these issues that are obviously happening for a lot of people. Where are they?

The users help each other out and we call in Mike or Rich when we're stumped. :-)  As for issues, not sure what you're referring to. If it's the expression pedal thing: Like Alen said, the MZ-X has it as does the PX-560: This was a HUGE thing for them. I don't think they had an expression pedal input on a keyboard since the 80s!

Hi again, 

For my MZ-X500, been using the pedals shown in the photo, no problems at all.  Previously used the popular 'Cherub' stomp pedal for sustain and that works well, too, and is sturdy and cheap as chips.  

Hope you get it sorted:  so many useful combinations for pedal use for these MZ-X' models.  

peds.png

OK, the sustain pedal I had was not working, found another one and it works fine.

The expression pedal- what is the CC for volume- isn't it 7 and 11?  Want to get that sorted, if i can use my Yamaha FC-7 sweep pedal.

@ Scott Hamlin, the issue i was referring to is the expression pedal problems, Rich and or Mike could be called in on this I think.  The expectation is that any sweep pedal should work, this is an industry standard AFAIK, and of the dozen or so keyboards I've had this has never been an issue.   Casio needs to sort this out.  I hope its a software problem, 'cause it's too late for a hardware fix.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

Randy

On July 30, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Randelph said:

The expectation is that any sweep pedal should work, this is an industry standard AFAIK, and of the dozen or so keyboards I've had this has never been an issue.  

There is no actual industry standard for expression pedals and most people therefore have learned not to have an expectation that a third-party pedal will work properly or work at all with any given board. Obviously, if you buy a Yamaha pedal you can reasonably expect it will work on a Yamaha board. Likewise, a Roland pedal will work on a Roland board. On a Casio board the Roland pedal (EV-5) works, the Yamaha pedal (FC7) does not. Some others work too because they are similar enough to the Roland design. But even pedals that work have different circuit configurations (i.e., there is no standardized design). For example, the circuit of Moog's EP-3 is very different from Roland's EV-5 and behaves very differently through the control range (I directly compared them). And Line6's EX1 is completely different from almost everything (and won't work on a Casio).

On 7/25/2017 at 0:01 AM, Scott Hamlin said:

As stated above, some pedals are not compatible with Casio keyboards. This doesn't sound like a case where switching the polarity will help. Your best bet is to get a Casio pedal. They make a simple square sustain pedal and a very nice piano style pedal: They're at http://ShopCasio.com

Scott, I don't think that's correct.  Like Alen K said and has been my experience, the only thing that is different from one sustain pedal to another is the polarity.  I was just dealing with a dead sustain pedal.

Randy

On 7/28/2017 at 4:30 PM, Lobbard said:

Hi again, 

For my MZ-X500, been using the pedals shown in the photo, no problems at all.  Previously used the popular 'Cherub' stomp pedal for sustain and that works well, too, and is sturdy and cheap as chips.  

Hope you get it sorted:  so many useful combinations for pedal use for these MZ-X' models.  

peds.png

Lobbard,

Cool, so you have successfully used the EX-P pedal?  For something like volume, which i believe is MIDI CC 11 (or 7?), how does it respond, is it smooth thru the whole sweep?

Thanks,

Randy

On 7/31/2017 at 6:26 AM, AlenK said:

There is no actual industry standard for expression pedals and most people therefore have learned not to have an expectation that a third-party pedal will work properly or work at all with any given board. Obviously, if you buy a Yamaha pedal you can reasonably expect it will work on a Yamaha board. Likewise, a Roland pedal will work on a Roland board. On a Casio board the Roland pedal (EV-5) works, the Yamaha pedal (FC7) does not. Some others work too because they are similar enough to the Roland design. But even pedals that work have different circuit configurations (i.e., there is no standardized design). For example, the circuit of Moog's EP-3 is very different from Roland's EV-5 and behaves very differently through the control range (I directly compared them). And Line6's EX1 is completely different from almost everything (and won't work on a Casio).

Alen,

Thanks for the explanation, i didn't know that about expression pedals- kind of makes sense, they're not a simple on/off switch like a sustain pedal.

I've had yamahas, Korg, and Nord boards, all of which worked with my FC7 pedal, so i assumed it was universal, but apparently not.

So you say the EP-3 is very different from the EV-5.  Can you describe that difference if what you're controlling is volume (which is a good test for linearity and the difference can be readily heard!).  

Thanks,

Randy

I can quote myself from another thre

13 hours ago, Randelph said:

So you say the EP-3 is very different from the EV-5.  Can you describe that difference if what you're controlling is volume (which is a good test for linearity and the difference can be readily heard!).  

I can quote myself from another thread in which I was confirming the existence of a pedal-reading bug in the PX-560 that has now been fixed in the latest firmware update. 

BOTH pedals exhibited the problem, the difference being that in the case of the EP-3 the first abrupt transition from zero volume to low volume during clockwise rotation from full heel down, and from low volume to zero volume during anti-clockwise rotation, occurred much closer to the bottom of the pedal's travel (almost near the end, in fact). I suspect this has something to do with the two pedals having different effective linearity's for some reason.

So the difference in linearity between the EP-3 and the EV-5 (the other pedal I was comparing to) was noticeable even in the presence of the "glitches." I later measured the resistance at various pot positions of both pedals and they were not just different but varied at a different rate across the range of the treadle.  

Here's a thread that shows the Roland EV-5's circuit. That thread also shows some of the hoops people jump through to adapt certain pedals to their equipment (in this case Roland's V-Guitar and Boss effects pedals).

This image shows a circuit diagram for the Moog EP-3 that I think is more-or-less correct (the polarity switch is omitted as well as connections to the shield). I found another site that claimed to describe an EP-3 but actually described an M-Audio EX-P, which has the same circuit as an EV-5!) As you can see, although the pot values are different how the pots are connected is different too.  

quote:  Lobbard,

Cool, so you have successfully used the EX-P pedal?  For something like volume, which i believe is MIDI CC 11 (or 7?), how does it respond, is it smooth thru the whole sweep?

Thanks,

Randy

No, no joy yet with using the M-Audio expression pedal to control MIDI CC Volume.  Been using it mainly for Modulation,  or triggering selected MIDI phrase PADS, or  turning on / off  the Rhythms.   Panning works but with no gradual slide between.  Haven't yet tried other MIDI CC ones.  The pedal  suits me nicely.   Maybe for the current price (around fifteen quid new),  might be worth trying one out.  Amazon are pretty good at accepting returns.  

Lobbard, is it possible you have selected a switch-type pedal in the Controller menu? If "Pedal2 Type" is "Footswitch" instead of "Exp. Pedal" then I believe an expression pedal will behave just like a footswitch if you move the treadle sufficiently toward either end (on that input an ADC reads the output of the pedal regardless of which type of pedal is connected).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AlenK said:

Lobbard, is it possible you have selected a switch-type pedal in the Controller menu? If "Pedal2 Type" is "Footswitch" instead of "Exp. Pedal" then I believe an expression pedal will behave just like a footswitch if you move the treadle sufficiently toward either end (on that input an ADC reads the output of the pedal regardless of which type of pedal is connected).

Randy was right to point that out.    And thanks, Alen K, for your tip.   Have now selected 'Expression' instead of 'footswitch' and hey:  got a brand new MZ-X500 all over again.

Now the CC 07 Volume option is mine all mine!  Have set it to 50 Min and 127 Max for starters.  Also the Modulation I can now increase gradually  (just like using the Modulation wheel).   Note to myself:  remember to save these different settings in the Registration.  

What a discovery.  This calls for a double nightcap.   

• 1 year later...

Hi.

Only to say that both m audio EX-P (expression pedal, the same shown in a post above) and m audio SP-2 (sustain pedal) are working correctly with my mz x500, upgraded to 1.60 firmware.

In both you can change behaviour (polarity).

Hope this can be useful.

Have a nice day.

Sim