Midi Patches / DAW Integration

djpat

Hello all,

I'm a new XW-P1G owner and I'm really excited about getting to know my new friend, but sadly ... I can't really use it yet. I was wondering if anybody could help point me in the right direction for some information.

What I am looking for is literally a default patch listing that I can program into Cubase. Does anybody know where I could find this information? I've searched the web and can find nothing.

There is a good chance that I am a total idiot and just didn't find it in my box, or perhaps I am not looking in the right place which is also why I have some feedback for Casio.

Before I go further, I just want to say that I am an electronic musician and a big time Casio fan going back to the CZ/RZ etc. I am by no means a synth snob ... I currently have hooked up to my DAW an alpha juno, TX802, SH-101, CZ1, AN1X, WK-3700, and a MicroKorg. None of those are or were ever in the $10K workstation range of synths, so I don't I want to come across like a guy that wants a Bently at a Hyundai price point.

In my studio right now I have the following Casio synths: CZ-1, RZ-1, SK-1, M-10, PT-87, WK-3700. I also have a Realistic Concertmate 450 which is a Casio. I have more in storage. I love Casios, even the cheap consumer models.

But I'm not yet happy with this XW yet and if folks from Casio read this, I just want to share some feedback:

1) It is beyond absurd that this MIDI patch information wasn't included in the manual. The only thing included in the manual was a very lacking midi implementation chart in the last two pages. How much trouble would it have been to include a patch list like the one that was included in the WK-3700 manual?

2) It is insane that I even have to ask for pages in a printed manual.

2.a) This keyboard was released in 2012. Much of the music world switched over to software-only like 6 years ago. I would think that anybody actually expending capital to manufacture a hardware synth in this day and age would at least have a basic understanding of who would be purchasing these units and how those customers might intend to use them. You guys aren't making MOTM modules... people buying MOTM modules probably don't need Cubase patch lists for their rotary knobbed MOTM modules... people buying digital synths with midi/usb ports ... are probably using those ports to connect them to some sort of ... I dunno... perhaps a software DAW?

2b) People have DAWs with soft synths on their tablets now. Software is the name of the game. This synth should have come with, at the VERY least, preset files for Cubase/Nuendo/Logic/Ableton/etc.

2.c) The Privias and the WKs were marketed to churches and who knows who else but they were certainly functional without full Cubase/Logic integration. The point I am doing a poor job of making is I don't forsee the XW being played by the organ lady at church anytime soon... It is meant for a different market. A market Casio has been very strong in the past (CZ/VZ/RZ) but hasn't seriously entered in the last 20 years ... If Casio wants to enter this market again (I really want them to!) they need to get with the times. Or, even 6 years ago...

2.d) The Roland SH-201 (capable of many things that the XW is capable of) was released 6 years ago and has near-full VST integration.

2.e) The SH-201 was in a similar price point as the XW series... yet 6 years ago they had full VST integration. And by full VST integration I don't mean they had an .xml file that could be imported into Cubase so the patches could be selected via drop down box after I did hours of setup, I mean they had a full-blown VST that controlled every knob on the box from Cubase or whatever DAW the user was using.

3) So, in conclusion, in the future you should include at the very least:

3.a) patch listing in the manual similar to that included for the WK-3700

3b) DAW preset files for common DAW software like Cubase/Nuendo/Logic/Cakewalk/Ableton/FruityLoops/etc.

3.c) If you plan on continuing this line in the future, you need a VST/AU interface that can be used at the very minimum in Cubase/Nuendo/Logic.

• Like 1

Guest tnicoson

What you seek is in the appendix to the manual. It should have come in the box with the XW. If you threw it out, you can download it here:

http://support.casio...4&cid=008013001

You can download a Sonar Instrument Definition file from:

http://xwsynth.wordp...file-for-xw-p1/

and use it as a basis for writing the equivalent for Cubase, Logic, etc. I do not know of any keyboard manufacturers that write instrument definition files for all the various DAW's. If they provide any at all, it will be strictly for the limited function DAW bundled with their product. Most of what you find online were written by users.

I'm not sure exactly what djpat was looking for. I have found all the manuals online including a midi appendix I have not quit digested. I have had wxp1 for about 2 week. Last week I finally bought a usb cable. I connected the casio to my ipad and the integration some of the apps was really simple. Drove the keyboard from a sequencer called Synergy. All I had to do was a simple map the channels on the app. I also have tried receiving and sending with Logic Pro with success but I am digging deeper in this area. What does this ins do ?