Creating Layered Performance - Assigning Layer Volume(s) To K1 thru K4 Knobs

GeeWon

Hi All,

I'm really beginning to see potential in the XW-G1's ability to create simple but quite rich layered performances. Just layering 2 to 4 assorted tones with assorted effects creates some nice sounds.

I've just created a 2 layer performance with a compressed, slightly fuzzy distortion 60s piano with a reverb-y synth-string pad underneath... sounds good.

I'd like to assign an individual volume control for each of the 2 separate layers to the assignable knobs - piano volume to K1 and pad volume to K2  - in order to be able to blend the 2 sounds on the fly.  Any method to do this?

Perhaps on the remaining K3 knob  I could assign the amount of distortion gain (fuzz) on the piano     and on K4 the reverb  send level that's on the synth pad.  Any tips?

Thanks kindly :-)

Geewon 

Blending two sounds is easy. See page E-74 in the XW-G1 User's Guide. It shows where and how in the Performance mode edit menu you set the function of each knob and shows how to enable each knob in a given layer. Set K1 to volume (CC#07) and enable it only in the zone playing the piano. Set K2 also to CC#07 and enable it only in the zone playing the pad.

Controlling effect parameters via a knob is a little less straightforward and I'll describe how in a later post (unless someone else would like to jump in).

So, those effect parameters. Set K3 to CC#16 and enable it only in the zone playing the piano tone. This will be used to control the gain of the DSP distortion effect. However, we need to get the effect active. Likely the best way to do this is to go into the DSP effect edit menu (EFFECT -> DSP Ent -> ENTER) and select one of the distortion presets with the data wheel. You can edit one of them if you choose and store it in a user effect memory. Make sure that the DSP effect is enabled for the zone playing the piano (DSP Line = On) and that it is NOT enabled in any other zone, which you do in the Performance edit menu. 

To allow K4 to control the reverb send level of the synth pad, in the Performance edit menu set K4 to CC#91. Enable it only in the zone playing the pad.

Now SAVE your Performance to a user memory so that the G1 remembers all of the above settings (including for K1 and K2) because they are only temporary if you don't. 

Much of what I just described, including which CC#'s control which parameters, is described in The XW-P1 Companion. Yes, it's not specifically about your model but of course the G1 shares MANY things with the P1 including the solo synth, PCM tones, Performance mode, the step sequencer, the phrase sequencer, the arpeggiator, the effects and most of the MIDI implementation. In fact, most of what is said about those topics in the Companion applies equally to the G1 and to the P1. 

Hi Alen, Thanks for taking the time to assist and break the procedure down so clearly - very kind of you and much appreciated :-) The XW-P! Companion sounds like a great resource - I'll be sure to check it out.  It's good to have the K1 thru K4 knobs for control - will be cool to see what similar parameters can be controlled by the sliders, in terms of controlling Performance layers. 

What I'm enjoying most about the G1 is the huge number of possible layered sounds Performances that can be created just by stacking/layering the existing tone presets and getting creative with effects. My main interest is in chordal polyphonic textures and to a lesser degree the monophonic solo synth presets.

I've yet to delve into the G1's sampling capabilities but am wondering about the method of sampling some Rob Papen Blue 2 presets into the G1 - will have to check the manual and experiment a bit.

Thanks again Alen. Wishing you all the best!

Ciao,

GeeWon

Hi Again Alen,

I just discovered that you created the XW-P1 companion - wow - very cool and beautifully done! Thanks for sharing it so generously - it will be a huge help to many Casio users.

I hope Casio and Mike Martins will send some perks your way for expanding on the manual.

Cheers,

GeeWon