MIDI Key/Note Off Velocity

bahman

When I try to calibrate my PX-560 keyboard inside PianoTeq I get a warning saying that there the keyboard does not support key/note off velocity over MIDI. The PX5S specification states  that it supports key off velocity. But I found no reference to key off velocity in the PX-560 specification and manuals. When I monitor the MIDI messages it actually seems that the keyboard sends the same data regardless of the actual key off velocity, but I may be looking at the wrong place. I have the keyboard connected to the computer using USB MIDI and tried using standard and high velocity MIDI. Is this a limitation of the keyboard or do I need to enable these velocity messages somehow? I have a cheap MIDI controller that does send these velocity messages, so I guess this is just a matter of configuration. Thanks. 

I have Pianoteq Standard and the PX-560 does seem to support key off velocity.  When I click on the Pianoteq Calibration button and follow the prompts, it states that the keyboard does send NOTE-OFF velocity.  I can see that it registers releasing a key slowly or quickly.  I did the calibration using the PX-560 default Grand Piano button setting, so I didn't have to change any settings.

This is good news as it is then a matter of finding the correct configuration in the 560. I believe the problem is not with the ASIO driver or PianoTeq configuration because I get note-off velocity when using a different MIDI keyboard. I will then read the 560 manual and try to set the default options. Thanks!

What is your opinion of the of PianoTeq vs the PX-560 piano tones? My first reaction to PianoTeq was that the sound was somehow muffled and lacked spatial distribution even after tweaking the microphone placement and sound settings. But there are dozens and dozens of configuration options in PianoTeq. And I have listened to PianoTeq recordings and demos that sounded very different. So, I wonder what is your experience as PianoTeq and a PX-560 user. BTW, I mostly play the 560 with a pair of good quality headphones.

I typically prefer using simple sounds that are very close to a real piano and allow a wide range of dynamic expression.  The PX-560 default Grand Piano (GrPnoConcert) is fine but is a bit soft for me, so I tweaked it a bit to give it more bite.  There are some notes an octave above middle C that seem a bit off to me, but overall the piano sounds are good and very usable.  

I really like Pianoteq and the flexibility it has to adjust so many parameters (sometimes too many if you know what I mean).  It is amazing how Modartt is able to model a piano so realistically.  It is not perfect but very good.  There are a variety of piano packs that you can get.  I like the Bluthner.  It really helps to calibrate Pianoteq with the controller you are using.  I prefer a fully weighted keyboard rather than a synth or semi-weighted one.  I found that the keyboard velocity set up significantly affects the sound (the default velocity setting is not the best for me and typically made the sound more muffled and dull for my playing style).  Everyone's touch is a little different so adjusting it to your unique playing style can really improve the control of the sound.  I also noticed changing the setting between "Sound Recording" or "Stereophonic" can significantly affect the sound especially when playing through headphones.  I prefer using the Stereophonic setting with headphones.  For some reason it sounds better to me and is not so "airy" with some of the default piano sounds.  If I had multiple speakers located strategically around me, I'd probably enjoy the "Sound Recording" setting and adjusting the mic locations for hours and hours.  But like you said, there are many configuration and piano packs.  Some of the Pianoteq sound demos that I have heard are amazing, and I often wish I knew how to duplicate the sound.  I have really enjoyed using the PX-560 as a stand-alone piano/keyboard and as a controller for Pianoteq.

If I had to pick my favorite piano tone, I would say Pianoteq, but I am very, very happy with both.

Thanks! I think that the 560 now works properly with PianoTeq. I have the default MIDI settings on the PX-560 and have reset PianoTeq's and the ASIO driver's settings. With the "high resolution velocity" turned on,  the keyboard seems to send the note-off velocity. I will test it properly over the weekend. 

I have to dedicate some time to try to configure PianoTeq properly because the piano sounds I get are significantly worse than the demos. It is mainly about the spatiality of the sound. It almost sounds like a monophonic output where the soundstage is concentrated in the centre. With the "binaural" pianos and sound output there are some improvements, but even so it is very far from the demos.  The only "out of the box" sound I find to be very similar to the Pianoteq demos is from the Ruckers and other Kivir harpsichords.  But with the harpsichords there are no complex velocity curves to be adjusted.  Note that I have PianoTeq Standard but have been testing the different instruments in the trial version... I am also currently using PianoTeq on a laptop and this may be contributing to poor sound quality as it may even lack the power output to properly drive the headphones. I have a desktop connected via an optical link to an amplifier but at the moment the 560 and the desktop are not in the same room... so I still have to test the output from PianoTeq with a proper setup. But I do find the piano tone of the 560 to be really good through headphones! And if it was possible to improve and add more resonance to itm the sound would be amazing. I find the current "acoustic simulator" to be too conservative and far from the levels of resonance and noise found even on a modest upright.

You are probably right about the hardware and how it affects Pianoteq's sound quality.  I think they recommend a multi-core CPU like an Intel i3 or better.  My laptop and desktop are probably a bit under-powered, so I am hoping a better system will improve the sound quality and options that I can choose.