XW-P1, A modern ARP Quadra?

I agree it is similar in some respects. If the Quadra is a "synthesizer sandwich" perhaps the XW-P1 is a "PCM panini." But in one important way the Quadra is much better than the XW-P1: It has an excellent built-in phaser effect. The phaser in the XW-P1 sucks rocks, frankly. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cheshurecat, you are right that that the XW-P1 is almost a modern take of the Arp Quadra. The Quadra had a bass synth (Odyssey based), a poly synth (Solina based?), a solo synth (Odyssey in duophonic mode) and a string synth (Solina II). The XW has a Solo/ bass synth (equivalent to the Quadra Solo/ Bass synths), three poly synths with PCM, Drawbar and HEX being being  the equivalent of the Quadra's Poly and Strings mode, plus onboard effects (many more than the the Quadra's Phaser). Of course, the XW-P1 does so much more and has a large amount of effects too, as well as the wicked solo synth filter. Definitely a PCM Panini with a cup of espresso served as well!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Looking forward to reading that.

For the record, I said the Quadra was much better in _one_ respect, albeit an important one if you need a phaser effect. One only needs to listen once to that effect on the two units to realize how much better the Quadra's phaser is. For some reason the Casio engineer or engineers who designed the algorithm of the phaser effect in the XW-P1 thought a single phase shift (implemented using an all-pass filter or a notch filter) was acceptable. I can't think of any phaser effect on any external effects unit that is as poor. Heck, even the phaser in my Mustang guitar amp is better. I really was quite disappointed when I heard it on the XW-P1 for the first time. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...