Casio's global sites changed. And synthesis got overhauled .

XW-Addict

Curious as I am I've browsed through Casio global site for europe.

http://www.casio-europe.com/nl/  and http://www.casio.com/home/

as it been very a  while visiting them looking at the total overhaul it have 

gotten since then.  

I've noticed nothing is mentioned about synthesizer anymore specifically except 

at casio music gear with pictures of the XW but we all know the XW have been 

out for almost a year and a half If you're lucky to still find one.

And curiously  hexlayers have taken place as a form of synthesis and that ok.

The only thing is we have different hexlayers of several keyboards and they are

not compatible with each other. 

As the MZ has made its introduction where looking at yet another hexlayer 

powerhouse also not a bad thing, although to me it seems a repetition to what 

the XW G1 - P1 where. One with 'this' and the other quiet not also not a bad thing.

I've figured meh its the business of things for Casio deciding the music part of its industries 

going that way but I'm interested in synthesis if it means anything to what a keyboard gives

you to do so.

If I can spend time with hexlayer synthesis from now then I'm all open arms and know I'm proud of 

my Casio synths and thus rather have synthesis mentioned at all time. 

• 2 weeks later...

No offense, XW-Addict, you are a very enthusiastic Casio user and make good contributions here. But from the phrasing of your posts I have to assume your first language is not English. So you will have to forgive me for not always immediately understanding what you write. 

For instance, you conjoined two sentences above and didn't use proper punctuation, making it hard to understand. I gather you were trying to say: "Would it be a bit odd to have a thread dedicated to Hex Layers? Might we have a poll on that?"

However, on the surface even the corrected version is not clear. The second sentence doesn't make sense in the context of the first. You don't need to hold a poll to start a thread. 

But if you really meant to say "forum" instead of "thread" then all becomes clear. "Would it be a bit odd to have a forum dedicated to Hex Layers?" No, IMO it would not be odd. It's not a bad idea at all. And a poll on the issue might be useful. However, maybe you should make a request directly to Scott. If he doesn't want to do it I doubt a favourable poll would convince him. On the other hand if he likes the idea you won't need a poll.

20 hours ago, AlenK said:

No offense, XW-Addict, you are a very enthusiastic Casio user and make good contributions here. But from the phrasing of your posts I have to assume your first language is not English. So you will have to forgive me for not always immediately understanding what you write. 

For instance, you conjoined two sentences above and didn't use proper punctuation, making it hard to understand. I gather you were trying to say: "Would it be a bit odd to have a thread dedicated to Hex Layers? Might we have a poll on that?"

However, on the surface even the corrected version is not clear. The second sentence doesn't make sense in the context of the first. You don't need to hold a poll to start a thread. 

But if you really meant to say "forum" instead of "thread" then all becomes clear. "Would it be a bit odd to have a forum dedicated to Hex Layers?" No, IMO it would not be odd. It's not a bad idea at all. And a poll on the issue might be useful. However, maybe you should make a request directly to Scott. If he doesn't want to do it I doubt a favourable poll would convince him. On the other hand if he likes the idea you won't need a poll.

Ahah noted, Got spoiled commenting on the web so I'm a bit lazy and less selective where and how with writing correct sentences.

Most people comment emotionally go into the sentences less tentative. And I went with it over time such things happen :-).

But yes if he reads this a hex layers forum would be great exactly that way it doesn't matter which hex layer keyboard someone got. 

Same descriptive way of doing with creating a sounds would apply or techniques doing something etc. 

So Scott if you're reading this ;) .  

• Like 1

Of course, the Hex Layer engines in the PX-5S, PX-560 and X500 are much more advanced than the Hex Layer engine in the XW-P1, with the one in the MZ-X500 having the most parameters as Brad pointed out in another thread. Additionally, the X500 Hex Layer Engine can, uniquely, operate in monophonic modes. (Monophonic operation on the XW-P1 is accomplished with its dedicated solo-synth engine instead, which has multiple features missing from the monophonic X500 Hex Layer modes.)

However, there are some points of essential similarity. You are in all cases combining six components, each with its own pitch control, filter control and amplitude control. The degree of that control is what differs between the models. None of the components in any of the Hex Layer engines can interact or modulate any of the others. That is different than the XW-P1's solo synth, which provides hard sync between two of its oscillators. Also, the oscillators in the Hex Layer engines don't allow for pulse-width modulation (PWM), which is another feature offered by the XW-P1's solo synth. 

So I do believe that enough of the essential principles of Hex Layer programming translate between models. The XW-P1 would likely to be the "odd man out" in conversations despite being the first to implement a Hex Layer mode. Sometimes coming out first means getting all the arrows. 

• Like 2