Time stretching user samples

Frenq

Do you mean will the G1 adjust the pitch by playing the sample faster or slower depending on the key you press? If so, then yes.

You can also multi sample at different pitches, then place these samples at various points across the keyboard to correspond with the appropriate keys. This is useful when sampling another synthesizer for instance, especially analogue (and some digital non sample based synths), as each note is individually produced by the circuitry.

I did this with my Casio CZ 101. I sampled the note 'C' at octave intervals from the 101, then placed the samples at the corresponding 'C' key positions on the G1. I could have got away with sampling just a middle C and letting the G1 sample engine adjust it for pitch, but by doing a range of samples it makes the G1 reproduce the sound of the 101 more accurately.

Once loaded onto the G1, the samples can be played just the same as any other tone. Either singularly, or simultaneously and to produce chords.

Hello Chas,

Yes, the pitch is ok! but the sample time must also be the same.

I loaded 5 samples with the editor, that went fine, but they need stretching

I have no clue how to make the samples the same size at all frequencies so i can play a decent chord.

Could you please explain a bit more?

Regards,

Frank

On ‎14‎-‎8‎-‎2017 at 10:19 PM, BradMZ said:

You'll need to loop the sustain portion of the sample, then restore any decay by programming the amp envelope appropriately.  That is done by using points editing in the user waves.  

Hello Brad,

I'm totally new on the XW-P1, must i do this in the Casio Data-editor, user wave tone editor part or on the XW itself?

I sample 5 C tones and want them all to have the same tone length like for example the GRAND 1.ZWT which is very good!

Please explain any deeper for this noob.

Regards,

Frank

As others have mentioned, the XWs can't time stretch. However, you could take the sample and put it into a 3rd party program such as Paulstretch:

http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

Then you could 'stretch' the sample to the length you want while still keeping the pitch. However, it slows the sample down, so though the pitch remains correct the actual wave is stretched. For instance, if you sampled someone staying 'hello', the pitch would be correct when stretched, but the actual wave would play as "hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeelllllllllllllloooooooo".

It seems to me that you need to multi sample across the keyboard as I mentioned in my previous post. If you use just one sample, then that will play in a much shorter time at high notes compared with low notes. If you sample at higher notes for the same sample length time as you do for lower notes, most of your samples will play for the same duration whatever note you play on the keyboard.

As BradMZ stated, it sounds more that you need to set loop points that will sustain the notes while you hold the key(s) down. You can do this in the Casio Data Editor program.

Hello Chas,

Thanks for the suggestion i will look into this. 

Concering the multi-sampling, i can only use 5 samples of 1 note in the editor so will sampling of say the 5 C keys be sufficient enough for a good representation of a sampled tone?

[edit]

Sorry you gave the answer in your first reply. Will try that!

[/edit] 

I don't know how to put samples under all 61 keys or even if this i possible on the XW-G1?

Regards,

Frank