SO..... About that respect I'm going to lose!!

Songwriter2015

Firstly, I am SO sorry about the two messed-up post attempts! Please just put it down to advancing years....... and lack of sleep!! :mellow:

************************************************************************************************

So........ I LOVE my X500!! 

Its BRILLIANT, and, for me, it has NO "game-changing" flaws!

In the, less-than, two months that I've been a, genuinely, proud owner of this, amazing, instrument, it's already found a place, in half-a-dozen recordings! 

Those recordings have all gained immensely, and in different ways, from the sound, and features, of "our" stunning board!

I simply KNOW, already, that the X500 is going to "pay it's way" ten times over in my studio!

It's almost - for me, anyway - limitless possibilities, creatively speaking, have already been, and will continue to be, a pure joy to work with on a daily basis...... And if any of you think that sounds "soppy" then, so be it!! :)

************************************************************************************************

I don't CARE which, or how many, buttons I have to press, in order to save a Tone, a Registration, a Volume Change...... whatever!!

I don't CARE if I have to remember to press "Write-Edit" to save a change to a "User" Slot in order to then save it to a new Registration!!

I simply don't CARE!!

The fabulous array of features that this extraordinary keyboard has - its BRILLIANT sounds, those wonderfully flexible, Pads, the ease of editing using the drawbars, - and the overall ergonomic layout of it's, much-vaunted, ( and deservedly so, in my opinion! ), "Cockpit" design, deserves all the awards going!!

Bringing me, rather painfully, to the title of this topic!

I simply don't understand how ANY owner of this GREAT keyboard could, for example, submit a post, one day, scathingly criticising the X500 for what he, subjectively, believes to be it's lousy system of saving, ( and coming within a hair's breadth of accusing Casio of "cheating-out" on available memory!! )..........

......... And then, the FOLLOWING DAY, posts again, SINGING THE PRAISES of the X500, focussing on how: "USER FRIENDLY" it is, and, again, praising it's EASE OF USE, and how CASIO DESERVE MAJOR KUDOS!! .........

....... As if he'd never even posted the previous day's "critique"!?!

I mean - Do me a favour!! Where's the CONSISTENCY?!? Where's the REALITY!!!!

***********************************************************************************************

I may well lose respect for being so obviously "confrontational", but, if you check it out, you'll find, as I have, that this particular "Poster" seems to have made a habit of finding fault with the X500 - and then gone-off on a totally different tack, with his next post!!

I promise you I'll totally understand if you resent my bringing a downbeat vibe to this, normally, wonderfully upbeat Forum!

But, I have to repeat........ I LOVE my X500!! ....... and, I believe - 

- Most of you LOVE YOURS too!!

Take care all

Chris

• Like 1

Some people have wild mood swings. For those people everything fits into one of two categories: It's either the greatest thing ever or it's excrement. There is no in-between for them. When they flip between moods their opinions often flip too. Sometimes you can detect such bipolar people in their posts, which tend to be the opposite of mild, measured responses. ;)

PS. Just to be clear without actually naming names, I'm not calling _anyone_ out for being bilpolar. I'm just trying to lighten the mood (note the wink). We all have our frustrations learning new equipment. Heck, it's why I wrote a certain document. I reasoned that as long as I'm figuring this thing (in my case the XW-P1) out for myself I might as well help other people along the way. When someone posts a comment or a question in these forums and it gets one or more replies, there is usually something even observers can learn from the exchange. So to use a hackneyed phrase, it's all good. Let's build bridges not burn them. Let's live and let live. Etc, etc, etc. :) 

• Like 1

Wow, have to say I'm really surprised/ dissapointed with your post Alen.  SW2015 has already demonstrated he's a fanboy that doesn't want to hear any critique, fine for him, for him a critique is a criticism.  But to have you, a conscientious and helpful participant suggest, however winkingly, that my critique and subsequent praise are part of some mood swing, even going so far as to suggest a mental diagnosis, is really disheartening.

I have paid my dues (money and time) buying and trying to learn quite a few boards in the last 10 years or so. I learned the hard way with a $4000 keyboard that money can't buy satisfaction, i have learned the hard way that the User Interface is pretty damn important, I won't make that mistake again.  I've waited and saved for long periods of time to afford the keyboards I've bought, and have spent a lot of time "making them mine".  I've paid my dues and don't see any reason i have to be a fanboy to any board.  

I've always brought my honest opinion to friends or forums, I'm direct that way, but I've always been fair, open and willing to talk. I've seen how horrible forums can get, people flaming each other, and I'm not into it.  

SW2015 i feel you're being inappropriate.  I both critique and praise this board.  At the moment of my critique, i was venting on a subject that has long been a pet peeve of mine, and as i continued to work with how Casio configured the board, i realized some elegant solutions that would be incredibly easy to implement (they're already doing it, but making you jump to the Balance page to do it).  I also finally had a day off to play with and learn the board for hours, and my gushing came after seeing how user friendly, overall, Casio has made this board.  Thats no mean feat, and it thrilled me to find i could learn much about the board merely by exploring.

SW2015, you may not see it this way, but you are not me.  It is me that is saying this stuff, not you, and I have my reasons:

1. How do you think Casio improves on their designs?  A lot of it is by user feedback and ideas, so DO NO PRESUME TO SPEAK FOR THE WHOLE COMMUNITY, there are plenty of people that have the same goal in mind and give feedback on forums for this reason.  I wish that others in the community would engage in this as well, and when we've compiled some solid suggestions, we could submit it to Mike/Rich/Casio in some way.

2.  I'm excited about learning this board, and wanted to share my ideas in almost a blog form as i explore and learn to use this board.  If you don't like my posts, don't read them, but there are other people out there that appreciate someone taking the time to explore their process, both the praises and complaints.  Once again, DO NOT PRESUME TO SPEAK FOR THE COMMUNITY AT LARGE and garner opinions that also do not tolerate critIques.

3. I'm looking for input from others on better ways of approaching things that i may not have thought about, YOU ARE INTERFERING WITH THAT.  It's not like you interact with the many things i talk about, there is much you could comment on about how you're doing things for example in contrast to how I'm exploring it, instead you continue to focus on your criticsm (not critique) of some of my comments about the board.

I really don't know what your contribution on this forum is.  Besides taking offense at my way of doing this at times, i don't see you offering any solutions and insights.  So far what I've seen of your presence on the forum has seemed like a fanboy troll, contributing nothing or very little to help people, but making a point of disrupting things.

And i really don't see the point.  This is a vastly underpopulated forum, thank god for the few people that can offer specific how-tos and tips, and if you're so enthusiastic and protective about the X500, then i would think you'd be encouraging someone like me that has such enthusiasm for for this board and is taking the time to engage in this otherwise mostly lonely forum.  There's really a dearth of engagement on this forum, that's also a reason for my 'blogging', 'thinking out loud', wanting to stir some thought around how we're approaching this board, 'making it our own', how we approach learning it and organizing it.  

I do think you've had some part in making this an unfriendly, underpopulated forum, but that's just a guess.  I've started going thru all the past posts to see what i can learn from them, so as i do so it'll have a clearer picture of what your contribution has been to this forum.  Alen, obviously Brad and Scott for example have been great examples of positive engagement and help.

I wish there was more engagement in what i write about, to know what other peoples process has been to learn and organize their boards.  I've found there are many many different approaches to learning and organizing any board, and I'm always wanting to learn how others are doing it, sometimes its radically different than anything I've thought of and very helpful.  And spending time working for hours and hours, weeks and even months at all this, i sometimes find it a bit lonely, and want more engagement.

Got to sleep, hard work early in the morning,

Randy

Randelph, my apologies but you did not understand who my post was talking about. It was not talking about you. Read it again with that mindset. Who had the opposite of a mild, measured response? I added the addendum to soften my criticism and make a case for peace. But I was not criticizing you. I hope you can see that. You must look indirectly. 

RANDELPH - Firstly, and without a trace of confrontation intended, I would not DREAM of being so egotistical as to think I " SPEAK FOR THE WHOLE COMMUNITY"!! Dear god, I've only had my X500 for TWO MONTHS!! 

WHAT, exactly, have I written, that's intended to: " Make this an 'UNFRIENDLY' - ( WHAT?!!? ) and 'UNDERPOPULATED' Forum "????

You've, sadly, chosen to resort to personal insults as a method, I assume, of reinforcing whatever argument it is that you're trying to force.

To call me a "Fanboy Troll" who "Contributes nothing... but makes a point of DISRUPTING things" leaves me genuinely speechless - and truly, sadly, full of sympathy for the way you must turn the truth on its head to fit in with how you see things.

I have no doubt, whatsoever, that if ANYONE reads this last post of yours, carefully, they will clearly see that there's only one of us who's trying to "speak for the whole community" and who, again, sadly, has a VERY inflated view of his own self-importance!

Of course I can't contribute 1% of the kind of intelligent, experienced, help and guidance that comes from such as BRADMZ, RICK,ALENK, etc!!

I simply don't have anything like their experience with the X500!!

What I can do is ask for help, ( as I have done! ), and give my genuine thanks when my question is answered!

Beyond that, all I can do is, unapologetically, sing the praises of this astonishing keyboard, and the "wonder" of the way it's added, positively, to everything I write and have recorded, so far, in which it's played its part!

Im going to say this, and then never repeat ANYTHING of it, again! -

- I have been a Professional Musician/Songwriter, all my life. I've supported my marriage, raised my children, bought my houses, using nothing but, whatever, musical talent I have!

I took a band to the UAE, with "BOON GOULD" ( LEVEL 42 ) along as bass-player!

I was a member of a band, that lasted all-too-briefly, in which "SNOWY WHITE" amazed everyone who heard him ( including US! ) every time we played!

You can go, should you so wish, to YouTube, and hear a track of mine called " ENDLESS DREAM " by a band we had, back then, called: "BIG SWIFTY" ( thanks again FRANK!! ) - I'm the one with the black Tele Custom, standing over the keyboard!! :)

We've released more than 35 albums out of my studio, and are in the process of recording the sixth album of our own material.

Why do I relate all this? - Because, where music is concerned, my confidence in my own knowledge and abilities, born out of decades of revelling in the joy that playing music brings, is strong, stable, ...... but NEVER "egotistical", or filled with self-interest! 

Like drugs, I count myself lucky not to have ever succombed to the addiction that can come from a self-inflated view of one's own abilities or achievements!

Music has, apart from my beautiful Family, and precious Friends in Music, been my whole life - and I am grateful, every single day, for that gift!

I realise I'm repeating myself, but,

I don't NEED to try and force my opinions on this Group -  because, apart from my, (obvious to anyone), high regard for the X500 AND the majority of the members of this Forum -

- I don't HAVE any "opinions" - other than those that directly, ( and VERY subjectively ), affect my own music, and the way I'm trying to create it!

What am I supposed to have an opinion about? ..... I've only just GOT it!!

BRAD, RICK, LOBBARD, LEONH, ALENK, SCOTT, etc, have, in different ways, been of invaluable assistance in the steep learning curve that's involved in owning an X500!

Not, neccesarily, in replying to direct questions from me, but, often, in, simply, the information they impart in their own posts, or replies to others.

The personal insults that you've thrown my way aren't, in the long run, going to affect me greatly, ....... but your accusations concerning my ill-intentions toward this wonderful ( and NOT "Underpopulated" ) Forum, go beyond any semblance of decency!

I shall take your ( only ) piece of good advice, and, in future, disregard any posts from yourself.

I will also, no doubt, bring a smile to your face, by saying that,( for a significant time, anyway ),  although I'll continue to read, and enjoy, the posts from those talented people I've met, here, since the beginning of June, I won't reply, post, or take an active part in the life of the Group!

I'm totally gutted that I feel forced to make such a decision - that's going to sadden me immensely!!......

...... But I, somehow, feel I've played a part, inadvertently, I believe, and completely unintentionally, in ( temporarily I'm certain! ) dragging the Forum down to a place, and in a direction,it should never have gone.

I wish everyone in the Group, good fortune - and keep making music you'll be proud of :):)

Take it easy all

Chris

• Like 1

Can I make a case for peace? Less than flattering words have been exchanged by everyone here (myself included - my apologies once again, I went too far). I'm sure none of us intended those words hurtfully. We all just want to make music, right? The thing about these Casio keyboards is that Casio throws so many features into them they can be downright confusing to learn even if the manuals were sterling examples of clarity which, most of us agree, they're not. On top of that we've got people out in the wider world who talk down about Casio, the company's products and by implication (or directly!) those who choose to use them. We're pretty much on our own here. So let's agree to set differences aside and just help each other. Okay? Group hug everyone. :P    

• Like 1

Unfortunately, because of my poor English, I am not able to fully understand the latest posts in this thread, but I managed to perceive only a controversial tone without yet understanding what the real motives of this controversy were.
I would like the users of this wonderful tool not to argue with each other but, instead, try to help to master this incredible keyboard, full of resources, and infinite source of inspiration.
As far as I'm concerned, unfortunately, in the summer I do not have much free time to follow the forum and to contribute to the forum but within a few months I will have much more free time to contribute with my direct experiences. I have many things to share with the community, many sounds I have created and many rhythms I have converted from the PSR world.

Do not make war, make music instead!
:D

Hey Chris / songwriter2015,

Since I was first to welcome you to the group,  I now call on you to reconsider.   Permission to walk away is hereby denied.   And speaking as the first contributor to this MZ-X' forum (see my posting March 3 2016), you'll  appreciate my high credentials:  Would appreciate everyone standing as I enter the room;  or just a quick tug of the forelock (or wig) would suffice.  

On with the show, Chris.  Your garrulous enthusiasm is highly valued here.  

Now, where's that Mike Martin of Casio.  I'm still waiting for those tutorial videos he promised. 

• Like 1

Wow, count me confused.

@SW2015, no need to no longer participate in the group, just please refrain from telling me or anyone else that they should not have any critiques of the board.  It's great that you love it and is part of your ongoing love of music.  I was really upset last night, instead of going to sleep i spent an hour writing that response, and even then couldn't sleep cause i was still angry (went into work 4 hours late as a result).  Not fun.

I do think this forum is underpopulated and not as fun and stimulating as i wish it was, but that's not your fault, please excuse me if i was speaking from an upset place.  There's a lot more that existing members could contribute beyond problem solving, there's not that many of us, have gotten used to Music Makers Keyboard forum, i get a lot of stimulation and insight from so many engaged and talented folks.  My needs and expectations are obviously not realistic.  Though to my credit i have made an attempt in my own way to "engage".

@ AlenK, am really confused.  SW2015 had made references to my posting about the board, needlessly pointing out that i ran supposedly hot and then cold (not the case) on this great board.  You then chimed in with all your bipolar thoughts about someone who would do that.  How could that not be me SW2015 was referring to, he was pretty specific.  He had also dogged me with similar kinds of posts in the very recent past, gathering support from LeonH and Lobbard, I thought you were joining the ranks he was creating of the non-critiqueres.

I am blown away by this instrument, I've been wanting it's equivalent ever since i started buying keyboards in the late 80's.  I wanted an all-in-one that could do sequencing and other cool stuff, feel good to the touch and have great sounds, as well as be user friendly.  I think Casio has hit the ball out of the park with their latest generation of boards: they have great sound quality, good action, very cool features, and as important as anything else, the user interface and how the whole board is organized is, as far as i can tell in these early days, so well thought out that it's a joy to learn new things on it and accomplish what you're after.

I am not one of those people that snub their noses at Casio as being a cheapie keyboard maker, i appreciate their desire to make keyboards affordable, and have owned several of them previously in large part for that reason, and the X500 is very much a value leader.  As far as I'm concerned, this generation with the new display finally wraps their whole effort into an irresistible package (just like their px 560 and cgp 700) for their price point.  I'm glad they're in it for the long haul, it takes years and years of effort to build up good sounds, develop keybeds that most people like, and make it affordable and friendly.  Very few companies have the stamina and deep pockets it takes.

However It doesn't mean its perfect, and i assume they depend on user feedback to make an already great product better.  The points i was bringing up about extending what can be saved to a Registration as opposed to a User Tone is pretty obvious when you look at what is already happening in the user interface.

Anyway, back to my original intent- how are all of you tackling the many things to learn on this board.  Let's hear about it!

Randy